ESPN, your bias is showing.

cyclone22

Sep 14, 2011
Ames, IA
It's this kinda small stuff that gets on my nerves. Way to over-hype the game just because its SEC. Also look at the other stories. Plenty of other blowouts and way better games to mention (like NW beating Nebraska) but ESPN just HAS to make Texas one of its top stories.
Screenshot2011-11-05at63906PM.png

Or try going to the official BCS website. All their headline stories on the top right are all right off of ESPN.com. I wonder if they work together :swoon:
Screenshot2011-11-07at53401AM.png

in b4 tinfoil hat

Last edited:

CysMyBoy

Oct 26, 2010
Ames, IA
I think the BCS standings were correct by placing Alabama at #3 in front of Stanford. If Stanford beats Oregon this Saturday, we should see them move past the Tide.

cyclone22

Sep 14, 2011
Ames, IA
As long as there isn't a rematch, idgaf. Bama had their chance, they lost. Thats how the BCS works. If you can't even win your division or your conference, or score a single TD in a home game, you are not gonna play for a national title. ESPN is just trying to push their SEC bias.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's this kinda small stuff that gets on my nerves. Way to over-hype the game just because its SEC. Also look at the other stories. Plenty of other blowouts and way better games to mention (like NW beating Nebraska) but ESPN just HAS to make Texas one of its top stories.
Screenshot2011-11-05at63906PM.png

Or try going to the official BCS website. All their headline stories on the top right are all right off of ESPN.com. I wonder if they work together :swoon:
Screenshot2011-11-07at53401AM.png

in b4 tinfoil hat

The flaw in the argument is the fact that hyping the LSU vs Alabama game was actually counterproductive for ESPN. Which network has SEC broadcast rights? It ain't ESPN. Promoting it as the biggest game ever, actually probably took money out of their pockets by encouraging viewers to tune to CBS rather than watch ESPN's own primetime offering of Okie State and K-State.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think ESPN has far too big of an influence in today's college football landscape. The rumors have persisted for a while now that they are a big force in encouraging all the recent realignment action, but I don't think this weekend was a good example of them throwing their weight around for their own benefit. And frankly, the idea of the network having a purposeful, unified bias toward the SEC, is doubtful, simply because it doesn't really benefit them.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
As long as there isn't a rematch, idgaf. Bama had their chance, they lost. Thats how the BCS works. If you can't even win your division or your conference, or score a single TD in a home game, you are not gonna play for a national title. ESPN is just trying to push their SEC bias.

Unless you're 2001 Nebraska and you weasel your way into the Rose Bowl after being steamrolled by Colorado

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think the BCS standings were correct by placing Alabama at #3 in front of Stanford. If Stanford beats Oregon this Saturday, we should see them move past the Tide.

I agree, but Boise State should be in front of Stanford this week too. Boise State's schedule has been tougher than Stanford'd so far, there's no reason for them to not be in front of them other than "BSU plays nobody" heard think.

Next week if Stanford beats Oregon I don't have an issue with them being in front of Alabama and BSU.

weeb2k1

Jun 10, 2010
Annapolis
The flaw in the argument is the fact that hyping the LSU vs Alabama game was actually counterproductive for ESPN. Which network has SEC broadcast rights? It ain't ESPN. Promoting it as the biggest game ever, actually probably took money out of their pockets by encouraging viewers to tune to CBS rather than watch ESPN's own primetime offering of Okie State and K-State.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think ESPN has far too big of an influence in today's college football landscape. The rumors have persisted for a while now that they are a big force in encouraging all the recent realignment action, but I don't think this weekend was a good example of them throwing their weight around for their own benefit. And frankly, the idea of the network having a purposeful, unified bias toward the SEC, is doubtful, simply because it doesn't really benefit them.

Except this game was the prime time game on ABC if i'm not mistaken.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines

I disagree, that was one of the the most exciting and intense games I've seen all year.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
No bias when the game was on CBS, not ESPN and it was between no doubt the two most talent teams in america. I dont care about the whole "they had their shot" stuff, i want to see a rematch.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I believe the OP is simply brining up the fact that Texas grabbed a headline under that photograph.

A lot of that had to do with timing - obviously by the photo included the LSU-Bama game had not gone underway as the photo would have been updated to show a gametracker or a photo from the game action. Also, the fact that Michigan State-Minnesota also was mentioned tells me that this screen capture occurred after the results of that game, so we're talking about 2:30 in the afternoon and by that time only 4 games had either finished or were almost concluding that had a team in the Top 25 (MSU-Minn, Iowa-Mich, Texas-Tech, and Louisville-W VA). ESPN just picked two games that included teams ranked in the top 25, which happened to be Michigan State and Texas - this makes sense to me...

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
No bias when the game was on CBS, not ESPN and it was between no doubt the two most talent teams in america. I dont care about the whole "they had their shot" stuff, i want to see a rematch.

As long as both teams win out and Okie State and Stanford lose, I want to see this game again also.

It sucks for Boise State but that is what happens when you play in a non BCS conference.

I still think they are the best two teams in the country and I want to see the two best teams play in the national championship.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC5Em4BIn-U]Your balls are showing - YouTube[/ame]

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
CyBroncos said:
Unless you're 2001 Nebraska and you weasel your way into the Rose Bowl after being steamrolled by Colorado

Or in 2003 when Oklahoma lost to Kansas State in the Big XII championship game, but still ended up in the national title game but lost to LSU.

cyclone22

Sep 14, 2011
Ames, IA

Theres no way of knowing who is the most talented unless you let other teams take the field. Alabama does look really good, but so does a lot of other teams, thats why they play the games. With your logic, why even play any games, just have Alabama vs LSU week 1 and end the season there. Forget everybody else, cuz these two SEC teams are good so no other teams should matter?

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
Or in 2003 when Oklahoma lost to Kansas State in the Big XII championship game, but still ended up in the national title game but lost to LSU.

Or in 2001 when Nebraska lost by like 28 to Colorado and still played in the NC game only to get blown out by Miami.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron