Cyclone Nation ALL IN!!!

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
People don't want to show up to see us get blown out. It is as simple as that. I won't be there on Saturday because I don't want to come away embarrassed for spending the time and the money to see us go down 21-0 in the first 5 minutes. And I'm a pretty big fan. Nobody wants to sit in the stands to see a team get humiliated. If we were competing on every play I'd be there to see a loss and cheer the team on their way to the lockeroom no matter what the score is. But I won't waste my time to see a 50+ point loss where the team doesn't even belong on the field.
I'd write something sarcastic but I remember feeling just like this in 2003/2004. I had a field pass for the OU Sooners game and I walked to the car and started the drive home before halftime.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
People don't want to show up to see us get blown out. It is as simple as that. I won't be there on Saturday because I don't want to come away embarrassed for spending the time and the money to see us go down 21-0 in the first 5 minutes. And I'm a pretty big fan. Nobody wants to sit in the stands to see a team get humiliated. If we were competing on every play I'd be there to see a loss and cheer the team on their way to the lockeroom no matter what the score is. But I won't waste my time to see a 50+ point loss where the team doesn't even belong on the field.

I'm hoping this is not how our team feels. We need more True "pretty big fans". Hopefully we can get a win next weekend and yo will turn around.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
+1, thank you. And I am also sick and tired of hearing about attendance, attendance, attendance. It is really simple. Give fans something to be excited about and they will come.

There is SO much potential in the Cyclone fanbase. In each of the home games this year there have been at least 50,000 Cyclone fans in the stands. That is coming off a 5-7 team last year, with tempered expectations for this season. What coud attendance be with a breakout season, and some sustained success?

This. I'll be at the stadium, cheering on the team. Last time maybe ever for aTm to show up at the Jack. That's motivation enough for me. The team will get better and the crowds will be there. In the meantime, I'm sure we can keep that total over 40,000, maybe even 45000.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This. I'll be at the stadium, cheering on the team. Last time maybe ever for aTm to show up at the Jack. That's motivation enough for me. The team will get better and the crowds will be there. In the meantime, I'm sure we can keep that total over 40,000, maybe even 45000.

37k season tickets + their allotment + homecoming bump + beginning of 3 game mini-pack

Damn near impossible for us to sell less than 40k. Id bet the number will be somewhere around 50k.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE

I got tickets for free to ISU vs Nebraska in 1992 because my roommate's brother thought exactly like you do in this post. For FREE! I sat in the student section (second row upper deck, near the 45 yardline), with two Husker fans behind me the whole time (lots of guts being in the student section on their part) and they were always making comments about how the Huskers were going to beat us and ISU showed up and pulled off a miracle with a third-string QB who threw maybe 3 passes all game long. I also went to Lincoln for the 9-7 victory there, and paid my money to sit in the midst of the sea of red, wearing my ISU gear the whole time. Loved hearing that ISU fight song after the game in Memorial Stadium. You don't get to see that stuff staying home...

Where would I be if I gave up on ISU after a few beat-downs? Same place a lot of the fair-weather fans will be, home watching the Hawks play a cup-cake schedule on BTN or watching Chizik and co on CBS. I'm all-in already, and headed to JTS on Saturday, win or lose.

Last edited:

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
37k season tickets + their allotment + homecoming bump + beginning of 3 game mini-pack

Damn near impossible for us to sell less than 40k. Id bet the number will be somewhere around 50k.

I hear you, but what do you think actual attendance will be? I'm going to say 45,000, but I hope we get a surprising total.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Yeah.. no. This fanbase has put up with more than any other fanbase in the country would put up with. There are no fair weather cyclone fans, because we have rarely ever had 'fair weather'. And almost every time the 'weather' starts to appear fair, giant stormcloud comes through and kicks cyclone fans in the stones.

I'm so sick of hearing how iowa state fans are fair weather or 'fickle'. Iowa State will have more fans in the stands than just about anyone else would after the last 3 games, (and for that matter the last several years)

Completely agree. I don't have the stats but I think if you look throughout history ISU fans have shown up time and again to see bad football and they know they are going to see bad football - yet we come out supporting our school. As far as I am concerned the fact we average over 40k for many years now with really not much to show for it and a small fanbase says a lot. We are THE FEW - THE Proud - THE CYCLONES!

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
:biglaugh: I don't know if you under a rock on saturday, but ISU didn't really do anything at all to promote a big turnout this next week....especially against a high powered A&M offense...

Who cares? Its our team lets go out and give them all the support we can!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have a wedding Saturday at 1 and the reception at 6. Had Iowa State shown an effort in any of the last three games I'd probably go out of my way to haul *** up to Ames and back in between the two events. As it is, probably not worth the trouble. Passing my seats on for this one.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I'm still waiting for that answer.

No disrespect intended to anyone on this site or the true Cyclone fan base, but IMO we spend a lot of time justifying why we don't show vs. why we will

I have no Idea why we dont when I lived in Southern Iowa I didnt make it to every game because I was either to young to drive all the way to Ames or didnt have the gas money to make the trip but now that I live in Ankeny for the last two year I have made it to every home game even if the team was not playing so hot. So to me there is no reason not to be there if you are a fan of this team.

Reactions: Storkenheimer

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I have a wedding Saturday at 1 and the reception at 6. Had Iowa State shown an effort in any of the last three games I'd probably go out of my way to haul *** up to Ames and back in between the two events. As it is, probably not worth the trouble. Passing my seats on for this one.

And that is why you suck. You will probably watch from home the rest of the year too huh?

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

Watch they win this game.

That is how it always works.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
We get six or seven home games a year. This year it is six. How many of us, from December to August, can't wait to get back to Ames to see a football game? What else are you going to do on a home game Saturday? Spend it with 50,000 of the best fans in the nation! I cannot understand those that **** and moan and say they will not attend because the team does not hold up to "their" expectations. I will be there supporting the University that I love and the Cyclones!

Reactions: Storkenheimer

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
We'll have the core fans we always hve. The problem is, the last couple of weeks is exactly why we only have that core group of 30,000 - 36,000 fans. This happens year after year after year. Without at least being competetive, you are never going to get beyond the people who have a deep love for ISU athletics. A lot of people here love to make fun of the Hawkeyes for having a bunch of fans that never went to school there. Well, the joke is on us I'm afraid. All we had to do was keep the last three close and I think you get the outsiders looking in thinking this is a team I could support. Instead, we get the typical, "Meh, another ISU football team."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron