Staying at 10?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Like I said last week and what I REALLY like is IT JUST DOESN"T MATTER. MU's decision is irrelevant. I like an irrelevant MU.

yeah, i like this too...seems like it doesnt really matter, i would prefer they stay.....but at the end of the day...go, stay...whatever, doesnt matter

I still want 12 though

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
New York Times is reporting "Big 12 administrator just told me that the league is expected to settle at 10 schools."

I think for long term security we need to exceed 10 and have at least 12-14 schools. If Mizzou goes they expect Louisville to get an invite. If we don't grow the membership to more than 10 then in 6 years when the agreement is up Big 12 will dissolve.
I think the Times is truncating a quote that came out yesterday, when a "source" said they would stay at 10 until Missouri decided what to do.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
And the reason this would **** you off is because you want ISU to get LESS money with 12 teams, right??
Maybe in the very short term it would be less money. But a bigger and more stable league means a bigger payday for first tier rights in 2016. I don't think the 2nd tier money is a reason to stay at 10.

cdrake

Jun 15, 2010
I'm torn. I'm sick of their crap and if it will help the Big 12 get back to 12 then I'm all for it. But I enjoy playing them every year as a conference rival. And we really would be on an island if they left. I think the Big 12 is fine and will last, but I still wouldn't like to look at a map and see us surrounded by teams that are in difference conferences.

There is no way I want to lose Missouri. They're thugs but at least they're our thugs. We should be encouraging (even pleading) them to stay. It's a great school in all aspects and they have ties into 2 metro areas (KC and StL) and across the river into Ill. Their footprint is the entire state and they keep us connected geographically to the Big XII. We've had a good rivalry with them at times in both Football and Basketball (Norm Stewart was great). Kansas despises them going back 150 years and that's always entertaining. I've been very disapointed in the Big 8 teams laying down for the SWC we took in, and it has cost us Colorado and Nebraska. Texas and Oklahoma, now, seem to be getting the point and we don't have to listen to the delusional, "white trash", crotch grabbers from a&m anymore. The air smells better already.:mad:

If we don't hang together, we shall surely hang seperately.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I think for long term security we need to exceed 10 and have at least 12-14 schools.

12-14 schools in and of itself won't bring long term security. If it did, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The worst thing the Big 12 could do right now is some kind of panic-add to reach some magic number of teams. Especially if that results in a conference with teams scattered all over the continent.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
New York Times is reporting "Big 12 administrator just told me that the league is expected to settle at 10 schools."

I think for long term security we need to exceed 10 and have at least 12-14 schools. If Mizzou goes they expect Louisville to get an invite. If we don't grow the membership to more than 10 then in 6 years when the agreement is up Big 12 will dissolve.

If we stop at 10 Hoiball better make the final four and CPR better win a BCS bowl in the next 4-6 years or we're screwed. That might not even be enough.

How f'ing stupid. Iowa State should lawyer up for many years in advance to launch the mother of all law suits when Texas and OU dump us to CUSA.

Cannot believe any ISU fan could think stopping at 10 is wise...for ISU. 10, 9 or 8 might be fine for OU and Texas. Not fine for us.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I think 10 is the number if Mizzou stays because it keeps everyones money the same. And we basically traded college station for Ft. Worth. If Mizzou leaves we will need 3 teams to come in to replace the market loss that Mizzou brings to the B12.

Also it has been indicated (don't remember where) that Texas likes a 10 team league and since they are giving up, unequal revenue sharing, rights and hs content on LHN. There there could be some kind of payoff with 10 team league. However, like I indicated above it Mizzou leaves we will need multiple markets to make up for the loss of what Mizzou brings to the conference.

I know Beebe is no longer with the conference but remember he was in conversations with the BE. It could be that there is a handshake deal that the B12 wouldn't take anyone but TCU, provided Mizzou stays. Not sure the B12 wants to be considered the reason the BE failed. Even though it wouldn't really be the B12's fault.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Anyone else kind of cheering for Mizzou to leave now?
Not me. I miss the 100+ year tradition of the MVC/Big 6/Big 8. I know it's already gone but I say that's enough. I like geographically relevant conferences, though I understand the potential inevitability of it.

Of course, in the end, whatever.

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The 6 year equal revenue sharing thing is great... but would it hold water if we had another mass exodus scare like the Texas and Oklahoma teams heading to the Pack 12?

I think this is a huge reason for wanting to add teams up to 12 or even higher. Then we'd still more likely have a majority to keep the conference together to enforce the 6 year committment.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
Its all about the tier 1 deal, if they can renegotiate that, then hopefully we go to 12, but I think most schools will think the money will be stretched too thin with 12.
Lets say we'd bring in 20 mil each with 10 schools, if we moved to 12 teams it would be16.6 mil. Not that big a deal imo since its still more that what everyone was were making last year under the old tier 2 contract.
what about an even split of money from the re-instated championship game???

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
This is the dumbest post ever. You honestly believe there is no strategic plan?? That JP, GG and others like them are just winging it. You're a lost cause.

TCU was in nobody's "strategic plan" 30 days ago. They have no idea what schools they will end up with or how many. They will keep reacting, which is all that has been done so far, and end up with some number of schools between 8 and 16. Nobody in the Big 12 has any idea what it will eventually look like.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If we stop at 10 Hoiball better make the final four and CPR better win a BCS bowl in the next 4-6 years or we're screwed. That might not even be enough.

How f'ing stupid. Iowa State should lawyer up for many years in advance to launch the mother of all law suits when Texas and OU dump us to CUSA.

Cannot believe any ISU fan could think stopping at 10 is wise...for ISU. 10, 9 or 8 might be fine for OU and Texas. Not fine for us.

Source?

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
TCU was in nobody's "strategic plan" 30 days ago. They have no idea what schools they will end up with or how many. They will keep reacting, which is all that has been done so far, and end up with some number of schools between 8 and 16. Nobody in the Big 12 has any idea what it will eventually look like.
You cannot know how stupid you look because you are not in the social group where I laid this out 6 weeks ago. How am I doing so far fellas?????

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
You cannot know how stupid you look because you are not in the social group where I laid this out 6 weeks ago. How am I doing so far fellas?????

I don't remember you mentioning TCU. Feel free to link to it where you said TCU would be the first new school invited. Also, please feel free to link to where you told us how many schools the Big 12 would end up with and which ones. Thanks, you're a peach.

Reactions: alarson

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The social group where you came in and told everyone that didnt blindly follow your predictions to 'grow up'?

And im pretty sure you never mentioned TCU.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

Besides falling (hook, line, and sinker) for Senolcyc obvious attempts at trolling you, your information has been fairly good and has fell fairly well in line with the recent developments regarding concessions.

Last edited:

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
It's official...

Wichita State is #11.

Everyone tweet it.

wichita-state.jpg
That was the 1st thing that came to mind for me also.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Why is 10 teams so bad for ISU?

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
The social group where you came in and told everyone that didnt blindly follow your predictions to 'grow up'?

And im pretty sure you never mentioned TCU.
grow up was in reference to days of silly talk about the big 10...................and you might want to go back and look at TCU. Are you Alex son of Dave?? You know better.