Staying at 10?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Aug 28, 2010
Waverly
New York Times is reporting "Big 12 administrator just told me that the league is expected to settle at 10 schools."

I think for long term security we need to exceed 10 and have at least 12-14 schools. If Mizzou goes they expect Louisville to get an invite. If we don't grow the membership to more than 10 then in 6 years when the agreement is up Big 12 will dissolve.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
New York Times is reporting "Big 12 administrator just told me that the league is expected to settle at 10 schools."

I think for long term security we need to exceed 10 and have at least 12-14 schools. If Mizzou goes they expect Louisville to get an invite. If we don't grow the membership to more than 10 then in 6 years when the agreement is up Big 12 will dissolve.

I am going to be so ****** off if we stop at 10. There are sevearl good teams out there we can have now. Go get them and get to 12. God I hate this confernece sometimes.

Creed

Mar 14, 2011
Fort Dodge
I've heard quoted that they were unsure about whether they were going to expand to 10 or 12. Is this recent?

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
I've heard quoted that they were unsure about whether they were going to expand to 10 or 12. Is this recent?

I think the last rumor reported was that if Missouri stays, the Big XII stays at 10 with TCU. If Missouri leaves, the Big XII expands to 12.

Which to me makes no sense. It may mean more money for each school, but I hope the members of this conference are willing to give up a little each year to make the Big XII stronger by expanding to 12 teams.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007

There is no reason to think it will dissolve in 6 years IMO.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Huge mistake if true. There are quality teams with the ability to make significant contributions quite ready to make the jump to the Big 12. To pass up on this opportunity shows a major lack of vision.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
I think its a game of not releasing the information in because of a legal threat.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
Huge mistake if true. There are quality teams with the ability to make significant contributions quite ready to make the jump to the Big 12. To pass up on this opportunity shows a major lack of vision.
Maybe they are targetting some big hitters and want to run at them first before they take some big east rejects.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I am going to be so ****** off if we stop at 10. There are sevearl good teams out there we can have now. Go get them and get to 12. God I hate this confernece sometimes.

And the reason this would **** you off is because you want ISU to get LESS money with 12 teams, right??

At the present time, 10 teams is more than adequate. We have our contracts in place. Big East may even survive a couple more years if we do not pillage all the available teams. The agreement giving the conference ALL rights to Tier 1 and Tier 2 games for 6 years is a BIG deal. The 10 teams we have would be tied up. Before we renegotiate the new Tier 1 deal in a couple years, we can talk of expansion then. Increases our negotiating power in that deal. But until that time adding additional teams just decreases the share for all the remaining teams of the Big 12. So I am happy with 10 teams......for now. In the future I can see getting back to 12 teams. And I am sure we have our targets out there. Louisville is going NOWHERE. They are ours when we want them. Same thing with WVU. The SEC has said they do not want them. Mizzou may go to the SEC. Good luck to them. Hope they enjoy being a middle of the road team in the SEC and their fans will travel even less than they do now.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
Who is "Big 12 administrator?" Where I work, administrator is code for secretarial staff. Could be in-the-know, could be not.

Apr 19, 2006
There is no reason to think it will dissolve in 6 years IMO.

I was thinking the six year factor was if a school wanted to leave the conference they would have to give up their TV rights for six years no matter where they went. So really it could still dissolve tomorrow, but they are trying to get 13 years worth of rights which would make it a lot tougher to swallow.

The only catch I see to this is if OU and Texas have their own networks. Just one guys interpretation.

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA
My administrator told me that we are safe. She spoke with Pollard and was told, if Missouri leaves, we are in for a shocker of a pick up. The Big 12 has a plan in place for whatever happens. If Missouri stays we won't add the shocker... And by shocker I don't mean the gang symbol...

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
There seems to be a discussion on whether to stay at 10 or move to 12+. I think the issue comes down to our Tier 1 and 2 deals.

In the spring we got a new Tier 2 deal that was made with 10 schools in mind. Texas A&M left and reportedly, the Tier 2 networks said they would still pay the same for 9 schools. Don't know how true that is though. Now that the Big 12 is being proactive we added TCU which is great replacement for A&M and helps weaken any of the pros that A&M gave to the SEC(foothold in Texas market, recruiting Texas HS kids, possibility of no Texas Big 12 schools playing A&M for the foreseeable future which would dampen Texas kids looking to go outside the Big 12).

Now that the Big 12 is going to be splitting Tier 1, Tier 2 and supposedly ticket gate sales, going beyond 10 would be much less money for everyone since our Tier 1 deal is old and therefore not a ton of money to split 12+ ways and make everyone happy. The Big 12 is probably/hopefully talking to ABC/ESPN right now to find out if they can negotiate a Tier 1 increase right now and not in a few years.

Reactions: PabloDiablo

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I was thinking the six year factor was if a school wanted to leave the conference they would have to give up their TV rights for six years no matter where they went. So really it could still dissolve tomorrow, but they are trying to get 13 years worth of rights which would make it a lot tougher to swallow.

The only catch I see to this is if OU and Texas have their own networks. Just one guys interpretation.

13 years puts us past everyone's Tier 1 negotiations by about a year IIRC. Which would help make the Big 12 less likely to get poached.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Which "quality" teams out there ready to make the jump to the Big 12 are going to increase the TV payout for all members?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Which "quality" teams out there ready to make the jump to the Big 12 are going to increase the TV payout for all members?

While I'm not a big fan of either, BYU and Boise State get lots of national TV attention, more than they deserve in my opinion.