Dropping a class?

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Hey guys I need some input on whether to drop a class or not. Here's the the short story. The class is religion 205 which doesn't seem that bad but its just not clicking for me and I'm afraid I might fail it... Im doing well in all my other classes just not this one. It would drop me from 15 credits to 12. What do you guys think?

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Depends on alot. How fast do you want to get out of college. What year are you? Are you on track to finish in 4 years? Why isn't it clicking? Do you not have the time? If you think you are going to fail, hell if you think it will hurt your gpa AND you can afford to take a semester of 12 credits then I say why not drop it?

Reactions: gocy444

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Depends on alot. How fast do you want to get out of college. What year are you? Are you on track to finish in 4 years? Why isn't it clicking? Do you not have the time? If you think you are going to fail, hell if you think it will hurt your gpa AND you can afford to take a semester of 12 credits then I say why not drop it?

4-5 years, freshman, I'm not sure why I'm not understanding it...just afraid that I will keep doing poorly in the class and it will be to late to drop.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
A lot of people in introductory classes are asking that question this semester, I believe.

Apparently, you bombed a first exam. What did you do or not do? How is it weighted into the total grade for the course?

The exam was 20% of the grade.:sad:

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
If you can wait to drop until after another exam that is what I would do. You would be in no worse shape but could possible turn it around before dropping.

Second, if you do drop and retake it or another Religion class you need to get in a section taught by ERIC NORTHWAY.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
15->12 you are still a full time student. So unless it'll impact your graduation timeline you won't be impacted if you drop it.

Reactions: gocy444

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
If you can wait to drop until after another exam that is what I would do. You would be in no worse shape but could possible turn it around before dropping.

Second, if you do drop and retake it or another Religion class you need to get in a section taught by ERIC NORTHWAY.

That is another problem, the next exam is 2 weeks past the last drop day.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
So there's 80% left. So your final score doesn't have to be a terrible one. It just depends on how badly you did.

Let's just say that I'm working through that math with a lot of students right now. I'm not convinced that people realized that the semester had started.

I guess your right. I'm just in a debbie-downer mood right now.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I guess your right. I'm just in a debbie-downer mood right now.

I have students almost in tears in my classes this week. I'm handing back exam #1 this week. Some did very well, some really didn't. Some are completely surprised (along with me) by their grades.

Overall, I am convinced that a lot of students have spent the semester so frightened about something that they haven't just gone and done the work. They're making this stuff seem so hard that they "can't" get it done. Then, of course, they don't, and the grades come back.:sad:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron