Very complimentary thread on Shaggybevo about ISU/Jack Trice

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
yeah, Al is doing a good job, but he should mention how perfect it would be if carter lake could build a toll road going to eppley and make all the omaha cars pay toll, and let iowa cars through for free- now that omaha is taxing employees from iowa that commute into omaha. ...that would be perfect.

back on track- It was very nice that someone shared this story with them, I was getting sick of reading their realignment threads/independent threads, which were constantly talking about chucking us to the curb. I had a chuckle with them giving us the "horns up" salute. Bravo, shag, bravo.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Lot's of complimentary comments from the horns, thanks for posting! I hope they bring up some real TX fans this weekend from that state as I have heard good things about the the majority of crowds and fans at DKR in Austin.

It seems to be the Horns from around here in the upper midwest that are the ones I can't stand... hope they don't make it, but not holding my breath!

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Some nice stuff there from the fightin' bevos. Very good things to say about a tremendous figure in ISU history.

All the stories I have heard about Trice up in Minnesota too, I have heard this one as well but wanted to ask if anyone heard it differently. It wasn't ISU who made Trice "not stay" at the hotel, it was U of M admins that didn't want whites and blacks in the same building?

Also, for lunch, the U of M again made Jack eat his meal in a different building? ISU was against that treatment.

Regardless, it is great that ISU honors him and it is always great to see his name on the stadium. The "I WILL" mentality will continue for all times with ISU sports! Heck, I feel our team under CPR plays with this mentality too.

Go Cyclones!

Last edited:

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Got me thinking. Are there any surviving members of Trice's family. If there are do they know how he is honored?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Iowa State named their stadium after this guy:

I really hate Texas, but then occasionally the fans will throw a wrench in it and make me respect them a little. I hate it that feeling.

How can anyone not give respect to Jack Trice and Iowa State after reading about him? Sadly, I bet a ton of current ISU students, fans and just plain ol' residents of the state of iowa (read: tavernsquawks) are clueless about who he is and what he did.

And I don't get the hostility towards UT either. Yes they are big, wealthy and powerful. If we had those opportunities/resources, don't think for a second we wouldn't take advantage of them to the fullest.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
Got me thinking. Are there any surviving members of Trice's family. If there are do they know how he is honored?

yep. He's got a grandson (or something, a grand nephew, I'll have to check with my friend who knows him) that was given a full-ride scholorship to ISU simply for having the last name Trice. ISU tracked him down to make sure he knew and offered him an education.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
ShaggyBevo is one of the best sports sites on the 'net. I have become a texas fan just by reading that forum.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Al needs to let them know that our first black student was from (I think) 1891 and was George Washington Carver, who was also a faculty member for a period of time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron