First Quarter Jantz Stats

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I haven't seen this yet and I wanted to look it up tonight.

UNI: 3-7, 14 yards, 2 INT Rest of the game: 15-33, 172 yards, 1 TD 1 INT
Iowa: 3-3, 30 yards, N/A Rest of the game: 22-34, 249 yards, 4 TD
UConn: 0-4, 0 yards, 3 INT Rest of the game: 18-25, 200 yards, 1 TD

Total: 6-14, 44 yards, 5 INT no TD Rest of Game: 55-92, 621 yards, 6 TD 1 INT

Obviously the Iowa game is the exception in our very small sample size so far. What is obvious though is that turnovers are killing us in the first quarter. We've scraped by in these slow starts so far but that needs to change and soon. IMO that is on the coaching staff and I think I'm one of the hoard who feels like Rhoads will get it done. Still though, if you look at his 2nd quarter and on stats this year it is excellent.

People have focused on how close our games have been but IMO with some better hands and decision making we should have won all of our games by at least more than a score or better. We were one of the best teams in the nation last year at takeways and this year we're one of the worst at giving it away. Smart, aggressive football will put us in a great position when it comes to bowl season.

This board needs some more real sports talk. Off soapbox.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'd like to see the offense start with a series of short, safe passes to get Steele warmed up. Seems like, especially against UConn, they were throwing 15 to 20 yards down the field. Maybe a screen or quick slant to start?

I was saying the same thing to my wife on Friday night. Can we not run some screens or quick outs to get him going? Even if they aren't big gainers it can get him warmed up and maybe open up those deeper balls.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I'd like to see the offense start with a series of short, safe passes to get Steele warmed up. Seems like, especially against UConn, they were throwing 15 to 20 yards down the field. Maybe a screen or quick slant to start?

I agree w/ this as well he usually has to wait till 3rd and 8 or so to throw and then throws 20 yard passes, open up throwing the first few plays short screens and slants

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I was saying the same thing to my wife on Friday night. Can we not run some screens or quick outs to get him going? Even if they aren't big gainers it can get him warmed up and maybe open up those deeper balls.

Part of that is on the QB. Check-downs have been there.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Judoka said:
The obvious solution is to play Lenz at QB until the second quarter starts.

I was going to say put Jared Barnett in for the first quarter.

BTYamsac

Aug 21, 2011
All I know is that the sumbitch is a winner! I've watched footage over and over from his juco days. It was pretty much the same thing there. He will have some serious pressure on him in the next few weeks is all I know. My gut tells me he has a great chance of knocking off Texas. If he does that, welcome to the talk about the best qb in Iowa State history.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Judoka and CySmitty,

Barnett just hasn't had the opportunity to prove himself to see if he can do those things... yet.

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines
Anybody else have a problem with Herman's play calling in the UCONN game? Seemed really predictable. I wish I had a stat on how many times we were in 3rd and 6 or 7.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron