"Aggies to Secede" - Blogpost

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
That is completely different. My opinion is that you have to get quality schools in the conference. IMO, the only schools out there that add value to the conference right now are ND and BYU. Outside of them, we would give something up and deplete the money pool. I firmly believe that if ND had to join a conference today, they would rather join the B12. That's not to say they would certainly join. I have a few reasons for this line of thought:

-They can still make their own TV deals and with NBC moving to Versus, I feel that they have to feel the things slipping a little
-I don't think ND likes the B10 all that much. I think if they did, they would have joined them already. There is just something holding them up. I have no clue what it is because they are a fit there, but there's something.

I just don't think any addition is good. It has to be right.

Understood, but Beebe didn't say that we were waiting for the right schools, he said we weren't interested in expanding.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If UT wanted to, they could have facilitated a Big 12 network, which, with NU and CU in the fold, would have been very profitable.

There is no evidence that a Big 12 network would be very profitable.

Instead, they put their own wants before the rest of the conference. What if tOSU decided they were tired of the rest of the Big 10 riding their coat tails and did the same thing?

The point is that the most powerful school in each conference tends to lead the way. UT is leading the Big 12 down a path that is only beneficial to them, at the expense of the other schools.

The SEC doesn't have a conference network (despite significantly higher population than the Big 12). Does that mean the "leaders" of the SEC are only looking out for themselves and not the rest of the conference schools because they have not blasted forward with a (what could likely be an unprofitable) conference network?

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I just think it's Texas' end game to get to indy status, as dumb as that sounds to some (even to me when thinking about their other sports), but reading through the ESPN/LHN contract I just think it's what the Whorns want. That's why A&M will be allowed to go to the SEC at some point.

You need to improve your contract reading skills. As explained in this link, the LHN contract is not onerous or sinister as idiot Aggies and doomsdayers like yourself think:

Texas’ Contract with ESPN for the Longhorn Network «

Another day, another round of stupid Aggie rumors. Not sure who is more at fault. The pinhead Aggies with Little Bro Syndrome who start this crap or the numerous sadsacks here who buy their bull$hit.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
There is no evidence that it wouldn't be either.

The SEC also has equal revenue sharing.

Which, as has been pointed out numerous times on CF, does not mean much difference in revenue between the top and bottom in the Big 12 (at least to this point). This argument is a strawman.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Since the SEC, ACC, Big East and P12 don't have conference networks, either, it provides very strong evidence that the B10 is the only conference capable of making it work due to their population base and fortunate timing. The Mtn has been a failure and since the P12 did not announce financial terms for their networks, their announcment was more about show than dough.

The SEC does not have equal revenue sharing of 3rd Tier network deals. Florida could make a deal similar to Texas at any time but stupid Aggies don't realize that.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009

SEC schools are also able to negotiate their own 3rd tier rights. Everyone in the SEC can have their own Longhorn Network.

This is part of the reason that the SEC doesn't have its own network.

Without the network having control of each schools 3rd tier rights, its pretty hard to drum up big ratings for weak games.

Ohio State Vs. the School for the Blind gets big ratings for the BTN because Ohio State is on the Big Ten Network. Florida would hardly, if ever, be on an SEC network because they'd be on either the SEC or their 3rd tier channel.

Of course, the SEC won't have a network for at least another decade because when they signed their 2nd tier contract with ESPN, they agreed not to form one.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
And the Gators third tier games go on a channel with HS games.

True, but I am under the impression that the contractual arrangement between Florida and the Sunshine Network differs from the LHN arrangement.

That network will also be discussed during the upcoming NCAA summit.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Certainly Apocalypse will hit the SEC because of this.

I agree the initial impact of the Texas HS games on the LHN was overstated by Aggies, but the subtle difference is that recruits aren't playing on the "Gator Channel".

Iowa State plays on ESPN, but I'd have no problem with Iowa HS football games being played on ESPN.

I would have a problem with Iowa HS games being played on "Cyclone TV" though.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
And the Gators third tier games go on a channel with HS games.

FS Florida/Sun Sports. They carry UF and FSU events, and have the rights to HS finals in football and hoops.

Not really different than FS Midwest's setup with Missouri third-tier games and HS championships.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
FS Florida/Sun Sports. They carry UF and FSU events, and have the rights to HS finals in football and hoops.

Not really different than FS Midwest's setup with Missouri third-tier games and HS championships.

Correct, those networks are not considered "institutional networks" like the LHN, BTN or the Mtn.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
You all make valid points. I still have the feeling that texas is setting up to go indy, but you all make good points.

I think people on both sides are making good arguments/points.

What usually happens when an owner of a team says we are happy with the coach or where we are at? Changes generally happen soon after. 13 teams in the SEC would be awkward, they would almost need to add 2 and somehow be able to make more money instantly to make it worthwhile. A&M is in a deep hole right now money-wise so they would want the SEC to pay the out fees to the Big 12 (unless a big donor stepped up for the Aggies). Would the SEC schools want to pony up the exit fees to receive less payout for the next few years? This could work out if NBC were to come in and say we will pay you for third tier rights games...I do not know if that is possible though.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If A&M is serious why didnt they move when the other moves were made? If they are thinking of leaving they look really stupid to do it now. They knew what they were getting into when the reuped with the Big 12. Something tells me they didnt have a home elsewhere a year ago and dont anywhere else to go now.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
They knew what they were getting into when the reuped with the Big 12.

This part is what some dont seem to get. The LHN is a lot more than it was sold as. It was sold as 'just a noncon fb game and some other minor texas sports that nobody cares about'. Everyone figured, ****, if texas can make some money on this, why not. This is also why everyone was estimating a LOT less for texas's potential earnings on this.

Then it became clear ESPN\Texas were after more. Additional conference games, high school games, etc. Thats when TAMU started calling foul.