Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Simply put, JP has a "hierarchy" about which money-losing sports are important, and wrestling is not important to him.
Again, women's bball loses $1 mil a year; I doubt wrestling is close to that. Let's look at head coach salaries:

Bill Fennelly's base salary - $585,000

Kevin Jackson's base salary - $131,000 (Cael's was reportedly a little higher)

That says it all right there.

What if we had offered Cael $585,000?

Can you put that in terms of where it ranks relative to their colleagues?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Can you put that in terms of where it ranks relative to their colleagues?

I have no idea. But I betcha Cael's compensation at Penn State is closer to that of their women's bball coach than it was here.
Again, JP makes choices regarding what sport is important. That's fine. It's also fine for Cael to react to JP's choices and make decisions.

Last edited:

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
i honestly don't think cael would have stayed if we gave him $750,000. his heart wasn't here, and that is what stings the most.

we helped him make his legacy, and this is how he repays us.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
i honestly don't think cael would have stayed if we gave him $750,000. his heart wasn't here, and that is what stings the most.

we helped him make his legacy, and this is how he repays us.

He owes us or Iowa State nothing. It's his legacy he made himself.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I have no idea. But I betcha Cael's compensation at Penn State is closer to that of their women's bball coach than it was here.
Again, JP makes choices regarding what sport is important. That's fine. It's also fine for Cael to react to JP's choices and make decisions.

I'm sure it is too but that isn't how an AD at a low budget school should deal. You can't just throw money around to people who don't ever create a return.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009

Disagree - granted much of what he accomplished was due to his efforts, but to say that Iowa State contributed nothing is completely false.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

That's ********. No one does anything in the sports world like he did on their own. We helped him out a lot, especially in Olympic training and loyalty meant nothing to him but I don't suppose that's any different than most of the public so it should be OK I guess.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
It's funny that if he were a Cyclone it would be about what a great individual feat he accomplished throughout his wrestling career. Now that he's not viewed in favor by Cyclone faithful it's about what Iowa State allowed him to do.l It surmises this whole thread of seeking advancement and more credit than there is to be had.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It's funny that if he were a Cyclone it would be about what a great individual feat he accomplished throughout his wrestling career. Now that he's not viewed in favor by Cyclone faithful it's about what Iowa State allowed him to do.l It surmises this whole thread of seeking advancement and more credit than there is to be had.

That's what it was about when he was here. That's why he got his first job here. Then he sold everyone out for more "stuff."

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Are you serious here? So Pollard hired two guys (one was a no brainer IMO) who won National Championships shortly into their coaching career and we can't say they were good hires by him? That's not very logical. I can understand being ****** over Mac or Mac and being ****** over Cael getting away but to say that there is nothing deserved in those two hires is wrong. Does said credit mean anything to us? No and it shouldn't but some credit is due.
Gene Chizik was not a good hire. He didn't want to be here from day one, only won 5 games in 2 years, and bolted as soon as he could.

Why does Pollard deserve credit for what Chizik has done at Auburn? What did Pollard do to make Chizik successful post-Iowa State rather then when he was at Iowa State?

Sanderson is a different argument as he did win 3 Big 12 championships during his time here. But Pollard does not deserve credit for Cael winning a national championship as a coach elsewhere.

Yes, I am extremely happy. In fact I have my Auburn pants and Penn State wrestling shirt on right now.

That's not what I said but I can find a little comfort in the fact that the guy in charge of our athletics has hired two guys capable of winning National championships. That's it. I didn't say we should have been celebrating the ships as if they were ours. I said I think that JP deserves a little credit for hiring guys who have done a hell of a job elsewhere.
So should the fan bases of Bowling Green and Utah pat the ADs on the back that hired Urban Meyer because Meyer won national championships at Florida?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yup. Competetive advantage and job support is "stuff."

Oh please. Had he stayed here, he would have had the same opportunities as far as competition. Sure, he wouldn't have had a state of the art facility or other bells and whistles but from a competetion standpoint he would have been fine. From the job support perspective, I don't know because I wasn't invited to discussions but it sounds to me like JP was doing everything within reason to keep him here. Of course, most wrestling loayalists with point the finger at JP saying he didn't treat Cael fair whether it's actually true or not just because it's easier than saying the golden boy held no loyalty here and didn't want to wait.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Gene Chizik was not a good hire. He didn't want to be here from day one, only won 5 games in 2 years, and bolted as soon as he could.

Why does Pollard deserve credit for what Chizik has done at Auburn? What did Pollard do to make Chizik successful post-Iowa State rather then when he was at Iowa State?

Nothing. No one said he did.

Sanderson is a different argument as he did win 3 Big 12 championships during his time here. But Pollard does not deserve credit for Cael winning a national championship as a coach elsewhere.

So should the fan bases of Bowling Green and Utah pat the ADs on the back that hired Urban Meyer because Meyer won national championships at Florida?

Did they not hire a pretty good coach?

The point is that JP has hired guys that have been proven to be good coaches.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Oh please. Had he stayed here, he would have had the same opportunities as far as competition. Sure, he wouldn't have had a state of the art facility or other bells and whistles but from a competetion standpoint he would have been fine. From the job support perspective, I don't know because I wasn't invited to discussions but it sounds to me like JP was doing everything within reason to keep him here. Of course, most wrestling loayalists with point the finger at JP saying he didn't treat Cael fair whether it's actually true or not just because it's easier than saying the golden boy held no loyalty here and didn't want to wait.

I was talking a recruiting competitive advantage. And wrestling loyalists tend to say such things because the wrestling community is fairly close knit, and tend to know a lot more than people outside of the community.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I was talking a recruiting competitive advantage. And wrestling loyalists tend to say such things because the wrestling community is fairly close knit, and tend to know a lot more than people outside of the community.
The "wrestling community" has roughly no idea what goes in within the walls of the Jacobson Building. The people who are within the wrestling community say exactly the opposite of what the people with sources inside the athletics department say. Both are extremely biased. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Common sense however shows a new wrestling facility, recruiting hotbed, and money waiting for him making it much easier to believe JP wasn't nearly as much at fault as it is portrayed by the wrestling community.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I wonder if Reader will stay here and train and or/coach now? It tell a lot about if our facilities are truly adequate, and ISU's commitment to wrestling.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
The "wrestling community" has roughly no idea what goes in within the walls of the Jacobson Building. The people who are within the wrestling community say exactly the opposite of what the people with sources inside the athletics department say. Both are extremely biased. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Common sense however shows a new wrestling facility, recruiting hotbed, and money waiting for him making it much easier to believe JP wasn't nearly as much at fault as it is portrayed by the wrestling community.
Yea, I'm sure that all the rumors I heard while going through school at ISU were all just hogwash about how Cael and JP were at odds about aspects of the program.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Yea, I'm sure that all the rumors I heard while going through school at ISU were all just hogwash about how Cael and JP were at odds about aspects of the program.
You make it sound like Cael is the only person who has that problem. Do you suppose Coach Rhoads loves every aspect of the football facilities? Nope. Christy Johnson-Lynch has been begging for awhile for a practice facility. At the end of the day, Christy realizes beggers can't be choosers. Did Cael? I'd say no.

Do you agree with everything with your boss? I highly doubt it. If you confide that in someone, is it possible it is over or understated? Absolutely.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron