Keno Davis out at Providence soon?

Cy's Taxi

Sep 16, 2007
Wouldn't be a shocker. Hasn't had a good season since he left Drake. He does have the best scorer in the Big East, though. Brooks is kind of a beast.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I think Keno can probably coach. But he's getting what he deserves for jumping at the first opportunity that presented itself, like a puppy on a Milk Bone. Yeah, it was a step up, but could he win there? Obviously not.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think Keno can probably coach. But he's getting what he deserves for jumping at the first opportunity that presented itself, like a puppy on a Milk Bone. Yeah, it was a step up, but could he win there? Obviously not.

So, you would have passed on the money PC gave Keno? Likely, not.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, it sounds like he's done. I realize there are other factors involved, such as Providence's low status in the Big East, but I guess I never understood why he was such a hot commodity when the Fryars nabbed him. Yes, Drake had a fantastic season, but those players were not his. They were his dad's. It was a team made up of a lot of junior's and seniors. I don't want to take anything away from the job he did that year, because they were very good, but I just don't know what he showed that would make anyone think he'd be capable of turning around a program like Providence. I don't blame him for taking the job, because hey it's the Big East and it was a big payday. Maybe I'm way off base, but it seems like he had flash in the pan written all over him.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Yeah, it sounds like he's done. I realize there are other factors involved, such as Providence's low status in the Big East, but I guess I never understood why he was such a hot commodity when the Fryars nabbed him. Yes, Drake had a fantastic season, but those players were not his. They were his dad's. It was a team made up of a lot of junior's and seniors. I don't want to take anything away from the job he did that year, because they were very good, but I just don't know what he showed that would make anyone think he'd be capable of turning around a program like Providence. I don't blame him for taking the job, because hey it's the Big East and it was a big payday. Maybe I'm way off base, but it seems like he had flash in the pan written all over him.

I totally agree, if someone is going to pay you grab it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Exactly. You take the money. If you succeed youve got an even bigger payday coming. If you dont succeed you'll still make more in a few years (and plus the buyout) than you would have in a much longer period of time where you started.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
He jumped at the first offer he got. He could have gotten money AND gone to a place where he'd have had a chance to win, IMO, if he'd been more patient.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Exactly. You take the money. If you succeed youve got an even bigger payday coming. If you dont succeed you'll still make more in a few years (and plus the buyout) than you would have in a much longer period of time where you started.

And you can start over e.g. McDermott, Floyd, Eustacy, etc, etc, etc.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
Do you think he could end up back at Drake? Would there be mutual interest? He seemed to be a good fit for the Bulldogs.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
He jumped at the first offer he got. He could have gotten money AND gone to a place where he'd have had a chance to win, IMO, if he'd been more patient.

You can't say that. What if he tanked the next year at Drake? The money and the jobs would be no where to be found.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think he's saying that there would (probably) be other jobs coming open that same offseason that might have been better than Providence. I don't remember what was open that year, but I think that's where he was going.

Ya maybe, but I doubt he would have got much better offers.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009

ive always said this. Daddys players, mostly experienced upper classmen and he has a good year of just helping facilitate. Yeah it was more than that but probably not as good of a coach as most thought. I can compare keno and tom to Bob Knight and Pat knight situation in my opinion

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
You can't say that. What if he tanked the next year at Drake? The money and the jobs would be no where to be found.

Exactly. He tanks and he is the next Jim Les from Bradley or Lowry from Southern Illinois. Those guys could have jumped to bigger jobs and both stayed. Now 1 of them has been fired and the other is on the hotseat.

Also, what was Keno Davis making at Drake? $200k? He went to Providence for $1 mil per for 7 years. Only an idiot wouldn't take that.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
ive always said this. Daddys players, mostly experienced upper classmen and he has a good year of just helping facilitate. Yeah it was more than that but probably not as good of a coach as most thought. I can compare keno and tom to Bob Knight and Pat knight situation in my opinion

I agree. I said it at the time and I will stick with it now. He was a good coach and Drake was a good team but neither were great.

All of the cards fell right for them that year in that all of the in-state teams were down and the Valley was horrible. They only had one NCAA qualifier on their entire regular schedule (St. Marys) and they lost to them. Their one claim to fame was beating Butler in a bubble buster game.

I don't blame Keno at all for taking the money, he probably knew as well as anyone that there was no way that Drake was going to have a season like that again in the near future.