Keep Cy Off the Helmet Petition

goldmember

May 31, 2006
So I'm driving home from work and hear a handfull of uninformed fans are trying to put together a keep or put Cy on the helmet petition. I'm just waiting for a Keep Cy off the helmet petition to begin now.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I guess I disagree. I want him on the helmet now and forever! I signed the petition. KXNO gave some great plugs for the site too all day.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
People should just let it go...the web site...the petition....dumb!

These coaches have to be kind of getting to the point "Whats going on here at ISU? First there was the petition because of the 'life skills coach' now there is a petition for the helmet logo. Can we do anything here?"

That ugly...giant...helmet logo we have now can't be gone soon enough for me. I am not a huge fan of the new one, but whatever, if I had my say we would just keep the throw back helmets. They are cool and they go with the new uni's. But to have a web site and petition to keep that monstrosity on the helmet we have now, or any other logo, makes us all look bush league. I am also going to bet at least half the people signing the stupid petition are some of the same that were mad because of the Prof who started the petition about the 'life skills coach'....sheesh....let JP and Chiz run the AD.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, I could understand protesting if we were changing a logo we had had for decades, or had some kind of tradition with, but personally I'm glad the bird-headed tornado is gone.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
People should just let it go...the web site...the petition....dumb!

These coaches have to be kind of getting to the point "Whats going on here at ISU? First there was the petition because of the 'life skills coach' now there is a petition for the helmet logo. Can we do anything here?"

That ugly...giant...helmet logo we have now can't be gone soon enough for me. I am not a huge fan of the new one, but whatever, if I had my say we would just keep the throw back helmets. They are cool and they go with the new uni's. But to have a web site and petition to keep that monstrosity on the helmet we have now, or any other logo, makes us all look bush league. I am also going to bet at least half the people signing the stupid petition are some of the same that were mad because of the Prof who started the petition about the 'life skills coach'....sheesh....let JP and Chiz run the AD.

No kidding. I don't mind the Cy logo, but it just doesn't work on a helmet. And it definitely doesn't work on a polo shirt or hat. Come to think of it, I have VERY few pieces of clothing with the spinning Cy...and I have a lot of Cyclone clothing. I'm not a huge fan of the I-State, but it's an improvement logo-wise. PLEASE let Pollard do his job and quit ********!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
When the current logo was launched, it was during my time at ISU. I remember everyone HATED the new logo then. And we all asked where the blue came from. I think the new logo is more popular now than the current was way back when.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Everyone on this site knows I like the whirlybird as much as everyone else and much more than most, but as the summer months have passed, and especially after the new uniform revealing, I really don't want it on the helmet anymore. We have too "classic" of a uniform starting next year to have such a modern logo on the helmet. I think the logo will still look good on some merchandise, but I just don't think it'll work with the look we'll be sporting on the football field starting next season.

St8Grad

Mar 30, 2006
Nashville, TN
It's a done deal! We got what we got. I think JP listened to fans on this & you're not gonna make everybody happy. Petitions are stupid. Just support the team, no matter what.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
The throwback helmets WERE friggen sweet, but I think the new ones next year will look pretty cool too. The new logo with grow on me and I love the deep cardinal shade..AND the gray facemask!

As for the savecy garbage, it kinda bothers me, especially after looking at the facebook group. People have posted stuff on there like how Pollard is an idiot and how he is ruining the athletic department and the "tradition" we have and all this garbage. It's embarrassing to read.

I don't mind the Cy-tornado logo, actually when applied right it's sweet, but the I-State will look much better on a helmet. And why are students freaking out about it? They keep calling it "Save Cy" when the only thing about the logo that is related to Cy is the HEAD of a tornado - It's a TORNADO... with a BIRD HEAD on it?? Again, I like it and all, but when I look at it, I like to think of it first and foremost as a tornado (or Cyclone if you will) than Cy, because, after all, we are the CYCLONES. If the campaign was for "Save the Cyclone" then I'd understand it a bit more, but whatever... the petition is worthless anyway. Jamie's got a vision and frankly, I'm onboard 100%.

O, and also on the facebook group, people have posted about how Pollard is trying to get rid of Cy and how awful/dumb he is for wanted to get rid of Cy, when he has CLEARLY stated many many many times that we are NOT getting rid of Cy the mascot - in fact, we're not getting "rid" of the Cy-tornado logo, it's just not going to be our primary mark anymore. Jamie has made this very clear, why do some refuse to listen?

DBQ Clone

Oct 4, 2007
Dubuque, IA
Cy needs to stay gone.

Period.

It's not like Cy is going in the dumpster. He's just not going to be on the helmet making it hard to tell exactly what he is. Cy turns into a swirly blob at a distance.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
The whirlybird was/is pretty awful. I think some people just have too much time on their hands to start a petition about this. Let it go folks.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
Brian when you find out where we sign up for cy off the helmet...Let me know because there will be at least 2 of us signing the petition!!

I-STATE logo is GREAT!!:cool:

There's no need to start one, the website would crash from all the traffic. I was embarrassed when I heard about the petition on KXNO. Once again the vocal minority strikes again.....

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It would be interesting to see some marketing data on how Whirlybird did in selling merchandise. There was a post on one of the ISU boards that I read which indicated that Whirlybird was identifying well with younger people. On the other hand, merchandising is strongly tied to winning, not just the logo.

In any case, if I-State bombs from a marketing/merchandising standpoint, will the Athletic Department stick with it?

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
It would be interesting to see some marketing data on how Whirlybird did in selling merchandise. There was a post on one of the ISU boards that I read which indicated that Whirlybird was identifying well with younger people. On the other hand, merchandising is strongly tied to winning, not just the logo.

In any case, if I-State bombs from a marketing/merchandising standpoint, will the Athletic Department stick with it?

That would be interesting to see some good data. Either way I'm a ISU marketers dream. Last time I was in Ames I had a major damage bill (almost $1000) buying everything and anything with ISU on it. :yes:

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
I'm embarrassed to say that I signed it months ago when I hadn't seen the new uniforms and heard JP's logic. I liked the whirly bird and couldn't imagine anyone changing my mind. Now I think it would be a travesty not to go with the new logo and uniform and everything. If anyone knows how I can pull my name from the Petition let me know.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was reading some of the posts on the Facebook group and someone was upset because we were darkening the red to be more cardinal.

They argued "Are we just throwing all our tradition out the window???"

A lot of the other posts were very similar misinformed individuals. One even said something like, "What is wrong with the athletic department of late?"

Having a desire to move out of mediocrity is wrong I guess...

Help Support Us

Become a patron