Keep Cy Off the Helmet Petition

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
The biggest thing I'd wish with the new unis is for the helmets to be the same gold as the rest, instead of cardinal. I think that'd look better, especially with the I State being predominantly red already. It would stand out more.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
While I liked the whirlybird logo, I still love I-State. The one argument that still makes me mad is the "What does the 'I' stand for? :wacko: Is it Indiana? Idaho? Iceland?" It's just as bad as "What's that thing on the helmet? A bird in a blender?"

Fortunately, I have the solution. If I had photoshop skillz, I'd make a picture, but for now you're going to have to use your imagination.

The side of our helmet should read as follows:

The Iowa State University of Science and Technology
Established: 1858
Located: Ames, Iowa, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth
Enrollment: 26,160
Nickname: Cyclones
Mascot: Cy (cardinal)

Below this is a map of the USA with a star on Ames, IA

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
While I liked the whirlybird logo, I still love I-State. The one argument that still makes me mad is the "What does the 'I' stand for? :wacko: Is it Indiana? Idaho? Iceland?" It's just as bad as "What's that thing on the helmet? A bird in a blender?"

Fortunately, I have the solution. If I had photoshop skillz, I'd make a picture, but for now you're going to have to use your imagination.

The side of our helmet should read as follows:

The Iowa State University of Science and Technology
Established: 1858
Located: Ames, Iowa, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth
Enrollment: 26,160
Nickname: Cyclones
Mascot: Cy (cardinal)

Below this is a map of the USA with a star on Ames, IA

Except that won't appease the "it's too complicated" crowd.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
I know the new look is going to be slowly implemented over the next year, but I would think cyclones.com's design would be updated with the revised colors and logo soon.....as well as the graphics for tv use.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
I was reading some of the posts on the Facebook group and someone was upset because we were darkening the red to be more cardinal.

My favorite part of that post was when that person got mad that we were getting rid of the navy blue.

NAVY BLUE IS NOT ONE OF OUR SCHOOL COLORS. If we're just going to use any random color we feel like, why don't we just make our uniforms black and gold with some pink trim, maybe a rainbow for a stripe?

*slaps self for blasphemy*

CARDINAL and GOLD. Not red, not yellow, not ketchup, not mustard, not pink, not blue, not black, not GREEN IN THE ******* STUDENT SECTION ON CARDINAL RULES DAY, CARDINAL and GOLD!!! :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

aeroclone08

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wichita, KS
I know the new look is going to be slowly implemented over the next year, but I would think cyclones.com's design would be updated with the revised colors and logo soon.....as well as the graphics for tv use.

I think everything, including the website, will start with football next year. I don't think they want to start changing things now because basketball, and even football for the remainder of the season will have punching Cy as logos.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I'm embarrassed to say that I signed it months ago when I hadn't seen the new uniforms and heard JP's logic. I liked the whirly bird and couldn't imagine anyone changing my mind. Now I think it would be a travesty not to go with the new logo and uniform and everything. If anyone knows how I can pull my name from the Petition let me know.

Wait a minute...how long has that save Cy site been around? They just made the decision to switch recently and the vote has been on cyclones.com for months to let everyone have their say?

I love the post about with people complaining about losing the blue.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
So I'm driving home from work and hear a handfull of uninformed fans are trying to put together a keep or put Cy on the helmet petition. I'm just waiting for a Keep Cy off the helmet petition to begin now.

we have a large group of idiot fans that don't understand that the rest of the nation has a hard time dealing with "cyclones" and cardinal mascot. They think that if Miami and Alabama can pull off this confusion we should too...obviously not caring that we are not miami or alabama. Cy is great for the sidelines but has absolutely no business being in anything we market nationally.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I was reading some of the posts on the Facebook group and someone was upset because we were darkening the red to be more cardinal.

They argued "Are we just throwing all our tradition out the window???"

A lot of the other posts were very similar misinformed individuals. One even said something like, "What is wrong with the athletic department of late?"

Having a desire to move out of mediocrity is wrong I guess...

You gotta understand the average age of people on Facebook, and the fact that they've grown up with ketchup and mustard and bird-in-a-blender. To them, that IS our tradition, at least as they know it. Elite 8, bowl games, all of that they associate with the old stuff. They don't comprehend the hundred years of history that lead up to the McCarney era.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
You know what scares me...The current facebook/myspace generation. Wow, the two biggest sites for 20 somethings and it is the biggest mess on the internet.

Anyway back to topic, I LOVE the throwbacks, but I think I am going to love the IState just as much.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Everyone loves the throwbacks, and they had the same issue.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You know what scares me...The current facebook/myspace generation. Wow, the two biggest sites for 20 somethings and it is the biggest mess on the internet.

Anyway back to topic, I LOVE the throwbacks, but I think I am going to love the IState just as much.

Actually, 30+ people have caused a HUGE leap in facebook subscribers. Huge.

Regardless, the people that want to bring back Cy and the people that think it's stupid to bring back Cy can rest knowing Cy isn't coming back no matter how many ridiculous petitions they sign. Cy's gone people, unless you're talking about the undergrad in the costume. Time to move past denial into acceptance.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
Only 6% of college teams actually have their mascot on their football helmet. This is not that big of a deal. People are reacting like we changed our name to something other than the Cyclones. It's just and image change, something Pollard said he would do on his first day here.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
This is the stuff that when Jamie Pollard leaves. It will be because of stupid crap like this. He is trying to turn the whole athletics dept around and everytime he mentions a change. Everyone freaks out. Even over stupid little crap.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Actually, 30+ people have caused a HUGE leap in facebook subscribers. Huge.

Regardless, the people that want to bring back Cy and the people that think it's stupid to bring back Cy can rest knowing Cy isn't coming back no matter how many ridiculous petitions they sign. Cy's gone people, unless you're talking about the undergrad in the costume. Time to move past denial into acceptance.

Not entirely correct - Cy's of the helmet - not gone. And even as a whirlybird lover, I like it that way. T-shirts and sweatshirts, great. Football helmet - used to think so, but not anymore.