Any Anti-Malware for Apples

weisr2002

Mar 13, 2009
Is there anything to clean up an Apple computer for Malware and Viruses. Will Malwarebytes work on that?

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I thought you didn't have to worry about Viruses if you had a MAC? :jimlad:

weisr2002

Mar 13, 2009
Yeah maybe not, I just wanted to make sure it was clean afer all this CF stuff happening.

Maybe I don't need to worry.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Yeah maybe not, I just wanted to make sure it was clean afer all this CF stuff happening.

Maybe I don't need to worry.

Open your activity monitor and look for things running that shouldn't be running. This can be done very easily by looking at your disc activity. If nothing is out of whack, you are good to go.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Despite these "flaws", there are far more problems with PC than Mac. This is the first thread in a long time here on CF where a Mac user was asking for help. And the OP's computer isn't even infected, he is looking for preventative measures.

When PC has roughly 10x as many users, duh? Why would you create a virus that can infect the 15 macs on the planet when you can create the same thing to infect 15,000,000 PCs?

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
When PC has roughly 10x as many users, duh? Why would you create a virus that can infect the 15 macs on the planet when you can create the same thing to infect 15,000,000 PCs?

Ahhh, the classic "user theory." While it holds some merit, the fact remains that when one of us smart Mac users have a problem, we don't need to run to a sports message board hoping to find answers.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Fixed that for ya, brother.

That doesn't fit a stereotype at all... :rolleyes:

Oooooooooooooh look at me! I paid more money for the same thing, I'm better than you! Plus I look cool and I'm being counter-cultural! :tongue:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Ahhh, the classic "user theory." While it holds some merit, the fact remains that when one of us smart Mac users have a problem, we don't need to run to a sports message board hoping to find answers.

No, you run to an apple store to pay some "smart" person to fix it for you.

Thats like saying because people ask for dating adivise on a message board that all men are idiots - more people ask for PC help on a message board because more people USE PC's

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
I'm not trying to get into a ******* match. Just wanted to point out that Apple isn't some ultra-secure shining beacon of light on a dangerous Internet. MacOS X is more secure because Apple didn't build it. It's based on Unix, and Apple built a pretty front-end GUI around that. If you look at products that Apple has actually built (iTunes, Safari, etc.), that's where they have their flaws.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Fixed that for ya, brother.
PC has a thousand times more users, and only 10% more idiots? I'd say that's doing pretty well. Of the 100 people who care about Mac, 10 are idiots, and then of the millions that are PC fans, 11 are idiots?

Oooooooooooooh look at me! I paid more money for the same thing, I'm better than you! Plus I look cool and I'm being counter-cultural! :tongue:

Damn Flag Guy. I'd think you had a Mac. :eek:

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
That doesn't fit a stereotype at all... :rolleyes:

Listen, brother. The OP asked for help finding anti-malware for his Mac. The first response was a sarcastic shot at Mac. Then. somebody posted a link describing the "flaws" of a Mac. The OP got 3 real responses, one from me. Yet here are the anti-Macs, ready to voice their anti-Mac agenda. With the same tired attacks. "Only 15 Macs in the world, blah blah blah." "You overpaid to be cool, blah, blah, blah."

So yes, at this point, on this forum, I will laugh at all you jealous PC idiots who can't afford a Mac because you are spending too much on virus scanners and removers.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009

Thats like saying because people ask for dating adivise on a message board that all men are idiots - more people ask for PC help on a message board because more people USE PC's

Yet another shot, based on what? Because you know somebody who knows somebody that went running to the Apple Store with their problems?

Not my fault that you are poor. See, I can take cheap shots also.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I'm not trying to get into a ******* match. Just wanted to point out that Apple isn't some ultra-secure shining beacon of light on a dangerous Internet. MacOS X is more secure because Apple didn't build it. It's based on Unix, and Apple built a pretty front-end GUI around that. If you look at products that Apple has actually built (iTunes, Safari, etc.), that's where they have their flaws.

Good work, Captain Obvious. Sure the OP needed to know all of that.:mask:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Listen, brother. The OP asked for help finding anti-malware for his Mac. The first response was a sarcastic shot at Mac. Then. somebody posted a link describing the "flaws" of a Mac. The OP got 3 real responses, one from me. Yet here are the anti-Macs, ready to voice their anti-Mac agenda. With the same tired attacks. "Only 15 Macs in the world, blah blah blah." "You overpaid to be cool, blah, blah, blah."

So yes, at this point, on this forum, I will laugh at all you jealous PC idiots who can't afford a Mac because you are spending too much on virus scanners and removers.
Sounds like a smackdown.:cool:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007

For all the times I've seen people post in PC virus threads "Solution - Get a Mac", I can't say I feel to bad about taking that shot.

And for the record, I use free virus and spyware software, and spent enough on my PC when I bought it that I could have had a Mac if I wanted one. I didn't.

"You're just mad because you're jealous because we're better than you" I wonder what other group of posters on this board sound like that... hmmmmm