pools and privacy fence

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
So my recently new neighbors just recently bought an above ground pool for their back yard. It seems like it's something you would buy at Cosco or something and i'd say it's about 4-4.5ft deep and about a 8ft circumference. It looks terrible and trashy and i hate looking at it.

Does anyone know if they can have it up without a privacy fence around their backyard?

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I would think that depends on what city you live in. I doubt there is a state law about it.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I would start by trying to look in a different direction, that may solve the problem.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
I wouldn't want the liability of a 5ft pool unprotected in my backyard. Doesn't take much for a 2 y/o to climb up and fall in. I am not aware of a law though, but then again, I don't have any pools except for the little plastic or air-filled kiddie pools that we empty at night.

KLoISU02

Jun 2, 2006
SE IA
I could be way off base here, and purely speculating without doing any research, but I would be surprised if their insurance allowed a pool without at least a six foot fence. A friend of mine has a hot tub and her insurance person said she would have to have a six foot fence.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Have you tried not looking at it yet? I'd say give that a shot and see what happens. If that doesnt work, I would murder the entire family and see if that helps. Good luck!

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
So my recently new neighbors just recently bought an above ground pool for their back yard. It seems like it's something you would buy at Cosco or something and i'd say it's about 4-4.5ft deep and about a 8ft circumference. It looks terrible and trashy and i hate looking at it.

Does anyone know if they can have it up without a privacy fence around their backyard?

There's a city ordinance here that requires a fence around any pool. Not sure on the height requirement but I see white-trash pools all over town with that orange plastic construction fence around them. Pretty sure the city council didn't have that in mind when they made the ordinance:)

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
depends on the city ordinances i would guess. i know it costs a lot more for insurance if you don't have a fence, and i wouldn't want to be liable for a neighborhood kid finding his way into mine-therefore i have a fence around mine. mine is an actual above ground pool though-full frame 18X30.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Insurance company requires a 6 foot fence. Or you could quit hating on the kids next door. Give them there baseball back when they hit it in your yard and be a nice neighbor. Then again that is just my opinion. I really really hate when people think they own the neighborhood and want to take away some kids pool that he is pumped up about so that you don't have to look at it. Put down the hateraid. O.K. so maybe that term is a little old.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
The community that I live in requires all pools above 18" depth (yes this includes many inflatable kiddie pools) to be protected by a 6' high fence with a self-closing gate latch. The city inspectors usually have their hands full keeping track of commercial and in-ground pools, but will respond to complaints if they get a call about a kiddie pool. The fence does not have to be a privacy type fence as the intent is to prevent drownings and pool-related accidents.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Looks like Ames city ordinance says you need a fence with any pool. Check your city's website.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFoGlgUV1pI]YouTube - redneck pool removal.......[/ame]

within this video lies your solution

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Insurance company requires a 6 foot fence. Or you could quit hating on the kids next door. Give them there baseball back when they hit it in your yard and be a nice neighbor. Then again that is just my opinion. I really really hate when people think they own the neighborhood and want to take away some kids pool that he is pumped up about so that you don't have to look at it. Put down the hateraid. O.K. so maybe that term is a little old.

I find that the neighbor's kids don't bother me if I just put the laser scope on them from time to time.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
i love all the cute sarcasm, so adorable.

anyway, i never said i was gonna call the city on them or anything. I haven't called the city on my other neighbor who won't trim the 8ft hedges that have grown over half the sidewalk.

i don't have kids and so for me it's only a huge trashy eyesore. but their neighbors do have 3 kids all under the age of 12.

i was mostly just curious is all.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Have to laugh at the mentality. "I don't like something that is in my neighbor's yard, on his property. Can I make him put up a fence so I don't personally have to look at it? Can I call the city on him and get him in trouble?" Hilarious.

If you were my neighbor I'd tell you that if you don't like the way my property looks in my yard (on my side of the property line, on my lot) quit looking into my yard and mind your own business.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
Have to laugh at the mentality. "I don't like something that is in my neighbor's yard, on his property. Can I make him put up a fence so I don't personally have to look at it? Can I call the city on him and get him in trouble?" Hilarious.

If you were my neighbor I'd tell you that if you don't like the way my property looks in my yard (on my side of the property line, on my lot) quit looking into my yard and mind your own business.

christ, when did you people all get so pissy on this site?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
While I get the annoyance (on both sides) if there is a city law that requires a fence call the city if you want too. If the pool owner does not like the rules then they have a few recourses:

1. Get the city to change the law.
2. Put up a fence.
3. Take out the pool.
4. Move.

Believe it or not, it still is a free country and while I am as big of a small government guy as you'll find local communities have the right to set their own rules. If you choose to live in said community I don't see why you should be exempt from them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron