Chris Ash

superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
SW Michigan
Bobby would be a good grab and give stability to the position so long as his health holds up.

Hopefully, this will not impact recruiting. That is my biggest concern.

I thought Bobby was a good recruiter the last time he worked in Ames....and wasn't the rumor he was Fry's replacement at Iowa until he got ill?

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Mack Brown
Jimmy Johnson

We all can spout random crap!

What was Ash's body language on the sidelines this season? Did he give you any ideas he was going to leave? It looked like he wasn't focused during the bowl game and I thought I saw a "I <3 Badgers" shirt under his polo in Phoenix.

Or was the lighting not good enough in Jack Trice for him? I imagine with Camp Randall being bowl in and having lighting in all directions it will really make the deep red of Wisconsin's uniforms pop.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Just throwing this out there.... but who are some guys that Wally worked with at USF or FSU? Both schools have had coaching changes and maybe Wally has connections with potential replacements on either of those staffs. I don't know who the FSU secondary coach is or if that guy has been there since Wally was there but you never know.... I wonder if he has been in CPR's ear about one of these guys?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
To me, Bobby's not a recruiting coordinator - that position is usually intended for a younger coach because theres a lot of traveling and work involved.

What i would love to see happen, is one of two things, regardless of scenario - we should find a place for David Blackwell.

To me, i think we should hire him as a Football Office personnel - not a coach. Have him be the dedicated recruiting coordinator. He's worked with Rhoads twice and a very viable candidate with a lot of southern and eastern connections from his time at USF, Clemson and Pitt, as well as time at East Carolina.

Then hire bobby elliott for the secondary, with no recruiting duties which eases the duties of a coach a lot.

Do that and i think we're actually in a better position then with Coach Ash. I really like him and thought he had what it takes to make that next jump, just wished he had stayed here for a year or two more....

Good Luck Coach Ash, i hope you make ur jump to DC soon.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
To me, Bobby's not a recruiting coordinator - that position is usually intended for a younger coach because theres a lot of traveling and work involved.

What i would love to see happen, is one of two things, regardless of scenario - we should find a place for David Blackwell.

To me, i think we should hire him as a Football Office personnel - not a coach. Have him be the dedicated recruiting coordinator. He's worked with Rhoads twice and a very viable candidate with a lot of southern and eastern connections from his time at USF, Clemson and Pitt, as well as time at East Carolina.

Then hire bobby elliott for the secondary, with no recruiting duties which eases the duties of a coach a lot.

Do that and i think we're actually in a better position then with Coach Ash. I really like him and thought he had what it takes to make that next jump, just wished he had stayed here for a year or two more....

I second this

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Losing Chris Ash is a major blow to our program. Best position coach and meticulous recruiting coordinator. Good guy, too. Anybody that's familiar with him knows that he's a future DC and possible head coach with his attention to detail and rapport with athletes. He could have been DC at USF, a BCS DC job, replacing Wally but decided to stay at ISU.

If our new secondary coach isn't our new recruiting coordinator (which would be a surprise) I could see possibly Luke Wells taking over, as that's what he did at ULM.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Good idea, because I like Blackwell a lot.
However, if we had enough money to hire two coaches instead of one, we probably wouldn't have lost Ash in the first place.
I don't think there is enough budget for an extra recruiting coach, just like there is no budget for a dedicated special teams coach.

drunkincy

Sep 2, 2009
Can your friend confirm if the man interviewed looked like he could be 56 years old?

I talked to my contact and they said it was an older man. But that could be about anyone. Sorry I don't have any better information. Maybe CW knows some more about the situation.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Good idea, because I like Blackwell a lot.
However, if we had enough money to hire two coaches instead of one, we probably wouldn't have lost Ash in the first place.
I don't think there is enough budget for an extra recruiting coach, just like there is no budget for a dedicated special teams coach.

Couple of things....

One - For ISU to continue to elevate their product on the field without getting 300 million dollars donated by a single booster like OSU, we need to find ways to improve the coaches ability to coach.and assist them in every way possible to improve the time and energy can be spent on the kids. This is not a huge financial commitment when someone else is unemployed. :eek:

Two - to give one assistant a huge pay increase over another only leads to turmoil inside the staff. There are a lot of reasons this would be detrimental to the cohesiveness of the staff. But, to hire someone into the "Football Office" that can help recruit all positions not just off or def and coordinate with each position coach would reduce the demand on each of the staff members. This is exactly what Chizik did at Auburn, he hired Scott Fountain and he no longer coaches, but, thats also how they assembled the 4 best recruiting class in the nation.

Third - not true on budget. The NCAA mandates that any coaching staff can only have 9 assistant coaches and only a certain number of them can recruit i think its seven. Thats why Rhoads coaches the special teams, otherwise the programs with unlimited budgets like texas, usc, oklahoma, norte dame would hire the best coaches and have one for every position including each phase of special teams giving them a distinct advantage.

Say what you want, but, i would think this venture would cost ISU about 80,000 because the secondary coach would go back to about 120-130,000 position and then take what you get from that and put in the remaining to get to around 100,000 and for someone who in essence has an office job, a pretty sweet gig....i'd do it for 100,000 k......

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Dont be upset about this. Good coaches leave for other jobs. It is part of life in college FB.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron