Wow, why would they hire a teacher

Marc936

Oct 25, 2009
that cant speak english?!? seriously, wtf

I understand people having accents, but seriously, why would they hire someone that CANT speak english?!?!??!?!!??!!??!?!!!??!?

calculus 3 is hard enough, i'm spending 4x the effort learning calculus on my own then being able to study for my other classes.

What is the point of a teacher that can't teach the material? Everyone just stares at the wall with blank faces because they don't know what the hell she is talking about. Then, when you ask a question "uh, eehz, uhss, umms, no, if u look dee book sez dis" and points to section 11.4 while we are on 11.2....

this is bs, who the hell hires these people? U'd figure the first thing about teaching here is having some proficiency in english.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
That is messed up. Probably should file a complaint with the dean of students.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I had this problem at ISU in the late 90s. Nice to see nothing has changed. The best was when you'd go to the help room to see if you can fight your way through it, and they all speak minimal English.

XLK9

Dec 31, 2009
Ames
I had this problem at ISU in the late 90s. Nice to see nothing has changed. The best was when you'd go to the help room to see if you can fight your way through it, and they all speak minimal English.

90's! This was going on in the late 70's - it is an Iowa State tradition.

Find another section - pronto!

Marc936

Oct 25, 2009
90's! This was going on in the late 70's - it is an Iowa State tradition.

Find another section - pronto!

all sections full :(

is there anyone i can complain this too? i'm busting my ***, and not letting a teacher that cant teach ruin my gpa

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa

is there anyone i can complain this too? i'm busting my ***, and not letting a teacher that cant teach ruin my gpa
That is messed up. Probably should file a complaint with the dean of students.
There you go. You could always get an add slip for a full section also unless it doesn't work with your schedule.

Marc936

Oct 25, 2009
what pisses me off even more, she wrote a half of page of **** on the syllabus how we must be on time, and another 20 minutes trying to read it out. Yet she came 15 minutes late to class today, then held us 5 minutes late until we just got up and left with her talking

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
If you and your classmates are actually ****** off about this then do something about it. Don't just sit around ******** all semester.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You want an answer? Go look at the phd students in the math department that will be the profs of tomorrow. There just aren't that many American students getting phd's in a lot of these fields.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA

Your only route is to talk to your adviser ASAP. You'd be better off taking a different class and picking this up in the summer or the fall if possible.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I had a TA that I could maybe understand 1 out of 10 words. I dropped the class and took the following semester with an TA that spoke fluent english and got an A the class.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Your only route is to talk to your adviser ASAP. You'd be better off taking a different class and picking this up in the summer or the fall if possible.
No the easiest thing to do would be do add a class which is full. 95 % of professors will sign add slips. I just avoid talking to my advisor at all costs I guess.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
There you go. You could always get an add slip for a full section also unless it doesn't work with your schedule.
I did this often. Just take it with you and go until somebody inevitably drops it or the teacher signs it. Just make sure the teacher knows you're showing up everyday.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Advisors can call the registrar's office and force an add to the section. They know that people don't go to class (empty seats) and people will drop over time.

You can take an add slip to another section and profs will usually sign you in because they know the same facts as the registrar.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You want an answer? Go look at the phd students in the math department that will be the profs of tomorrow. There just aren't that many American students getting phd's in a lot of these fields.

vicious cycle much? American students arent getting them because they cant pass the classes when they dont understand the profs?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron