Wow, why would they hire a teacher

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

aeroclone08

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wichita, KS
There it is. Difference between a HS or CC and a research institution. ISU wants professors who are going to get grant money and do noteworthy research. That's more important than being a good "teacher" or proficiency in English. It sucks, but it's all about business.

At least you have multiple sections as an option. My Aerodynamics prof had such poor English that when he was filmed for a Discovery TV show, they subtitled him for the viewers. There was only one section, it was only offered in the fall, and he was probably going to teach it next year.

Hope it works out for you. Calculus (and math is general) is either great or ****** depending on your prof.

Arpha, derta, and p-cy are permanantly burned into my brain.

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
In 1986 I had a Korean prof for Calc II. He couldn't speak any English. After the first week he realised he wasn't teaching us anything and about half the class had dropped. He started just bringing us food and, I kid you not, brought in a BANJO to play for us. We all just looked at each other like WTF.... I ended up dropping and retaking it the next semester.

Marc936

Oct 25, 2009
the teacher did not show up today and there was a sub.

he had a bad accent too but at least he knew what he was doing. I actually fully understood how to do the entire section after him teaching only one class. That lady had 3 already and still confused the hell out of me.

XLK9

Dec 31, 2009
Ames
I take my hat off to all the engineers, I see why it is considered the hardest undergraduate majors to get.

You want a REAL challenge - try doing it over a span of 12 years (sometimes FT student, sometimes PT) while you are working full-time, in the USAR, married, and have kids. That will make you old before your time, I can assure you!

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
This is nothing new. It was there clear back in the 70's. Either could not speak English or understand it, or the accent was so thick that no one could understand them. Switch to a different instructor....but make sure someone in the department is aware.

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
My freshman year I had to help my English prof. look over an essay. she didnt even know english well enough to teach anything in the states. was very frustrating but had a few gymnastics girls in class so I never switched classes. :biggrin:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
The reason this continues is because students do not understand their role in the process. Point being, students are customers and bring in revenue, just as the researchers do.

Students need to act like customers. If you don't like the product, tell them. Go to the university president if necessary. Ask for your money back. Seems crazy, but if everyone sits on their hands and does nothing, their revenue source will continue to come in and nothing will change. Be a thorn in their side.

Most kids at that age are somewhat passive because they don't really understand how the world works. Take my advice - be a ***** until you get satisfaction.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
When I was working at ISU I had to spend an entire week taping the interviews that they do for international students "auditioning" to be T.A.'s. It's actually a really interesting process: they had 5 minutes to give a lecture over basic material for the major they would be a T.A. for. Then they had 3 minutes of Q&A from the three "judges" in the room to determine comprehension of questions. It seemed that they would pass about 1 student per every 4 applicants (be lucky you don't have one of the other three). I understand that it may be frustrating to sit through a class with a hard to understand T.A., but if the T.A. is at least comprehendible then cut them some slack - this is their job. Most don't want to be a T.A. and are using the experience as a stepping stone to a research position or a faculty position, but I will say that they do take the T.A. position very seriously if they can get it.

Marc936

Oct 25, 2009
When I was working at ISU I had to spend an entire week taping the interviews that they do for international students "auditioning" to be T.A.'s. It's actually a really interesting process: they had 5 minutes to give a lecture over basic material for the major they would be a T.A. for. Then they had 3 minutes of Q&A from the three "judges" in the room to determine comprehension of questions. It seemed that they would pass about 1 student per every 4 applicants (be lucky you don't have one of the other three). I understand that it may be frustrating to sit through a class with a hard to understand T.A., but if the T.A. is at least comprehendible then cut them some slack - this is their job. Most don't want to be a T.A. and are using the experience as a stepping stone to a research position or a faculty position, but I will say that they do take the T.A. position very seriously if they can get it.

i really don't mind ta's, it is just this one in particular. I know people come here for a better life, i know this is a job they have to do to pursue their career, BUT this one is excruciatingly non qualified.

2 out of the 3 classes she has showed up late. She is missing 2 of this weeks classes and having another person teach. She messes up a LOT and erases, and skips then backtracks even though she wrote it down on her paper she stares at all the time. That with the very minimal english she has is throwing everyone off.

We had another teacher come in to teach the class today, spoke very little english as well, but he did everything in an orderly and methodical fashion that he made the section look EXTREMELY easy. Every example problem he asked us to try out from the book I answered about 30 seconds each question.

So I know for a fact it is not me that can't comprehend this material, it is the teacher who can't teach. The sub today was a tease because as much as im trying to get straight a's this semester, the permanent teacher is without a doubt going to hurt my chances a lot.

Students pay to be here to learn. I'm not paying 10k this semester alone to be taught by someone unqualified to do their job. I'm not trying to be such a *****, but my future is on the line. She can teach a class that is more reading based.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
that cant speak english?!? seriously, wtf

I understand people having accents, but seriously, why would they hire someone that CANT speak english?!?!??!?!!??!!??!?!!!??!?

calculus 3 is hard enough, i'm spending 4x the effort learning calculus on my own then being able to study for my other classes.

What is the point of a teacher that can't teach the material? Everyone just stares at the wall with blank faces because they don't know what the hell she is talking about. Then, when you ask a question "uh, eehz, uhss, umms, no, if u look dee book sez dis" and points to section 11.4 while we are on 11.2....

this is bs, who the hell hires these people? U'd figure the first thing about teaching here is having some proficiency in english.

Some things never change. As a 34 yr old student in 1980, I was going to considerable trouble and expense with a full time job and little children to try to finish my BS. Like you, I enrolled in Calc (required for my major). Like you I drew a foreign instructor who spoke not a word that could be understood by the class. So, I hired a tutor. At my first meeting with the tutor, I learned that he was a Pakistani who also could not speak english. How I made it through that course I will never know. Professors ***** about athletics and the large salaries of coaches, and protest anything within 400 yards of religious that might be included in athletics. All the while they work on research and getting published and hire people who cannot communicate to teach for them. They do have the patent for this, though. At least 50% of the time when I call an 800 number, I get someone I can't understand. It is maddening. Report it to the dean and encourage all your classmates to do the same.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
Eh, I don't think that is it at all. As an engineer I survived plenty of classes where the prof could barely speak English. It doesn't make it easier, but it doesn't make it impossible either.

I think the big issue is the amount of work it takes to get through a phd program and payoff waiting at the end. In a lot of fields it just isn't worth it. I think the foreign students just have a different mentality about things. Most US students see that they can go make a very good living for themselves with a bachelors or masters and they get out and make their money. The don't have the desire to give up another 3 or 4 years to get something that may not be of much financial benefit.

I really think the big issue is the Prof - whose responsibility it is to present the class, doesn't care. In most cases these are students on fellowships, very proficient with the subject matter but incompetent with the language. The prof has to have someone run the class and he is not forced to put someone in there who can speak the language. The only remedy is to go to the dean of the dept, dean of students - and I would write an email to the Prez, Geoffrey. He seems like a good guy and would probably appreciate knowing about this - and would probably do something.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Yep, I suggest finding a small, teaching oriented college. I've done coursework at community colleges, small colleges, large public universities like ISU, and elite ivy universities. The Harvards and Yales care about teaching as little as ISU does. Schools like Upper Iowa, Grinnell etc might be a good fit for you. I agree that students need to act like buyers. Be aware of what you are buying, before you buy. ISU has different strengths than does Grinnell. And it seems you value the Grinnell style more.
It's like going to a dentist for a heart condition...

m1trLG2

Feb 1, 2010
Ames
This is why I dropped Calc this morning. When you're taking an exam and can't even read the questions cause it's in partial English then you're already doomed to fail. This school is becoming increasingly frustrating.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I'd at least go to small claims court to get my tuition back, right before I notified the media what I was doing. Who knows where it could lead on a slow news day.

m1trLG2

Feb 1, 2010
Ames
I'd at least go to small claims court to get my tuition back, right before I notified the media what I was doing. Who knows where it could lead on a slow news day.

Though, the news is anything but slow right now :-(. However, when it does slow down I have a lot that the media should know about at ISU. This school makes me sick, it's not the school I went to five years ago when I was getting my first degree. Really has lowered it's standards.

TheCampanile

Jan 23, 2010
Man, that sucks. I think it has been a long time since there has been a majority of English as a first language TAs.