Do you think we can get Floyd to come back??

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree with those who say Floyd is a disgraced cheater and we would not want him back. When I think of Tim Floyd now I think of one word: sleazy.

I'd gladly welcome LE back, however.

This.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
That would be awesome to get back the greatest coach we've ever had. It will not happen though because he's been quoted as saying ISU is a very hard place to recruit, which is a "no brainer". Floyd has recruited in LA and been around the NBA too long to come back to Ames. Also, Floyd has a big ego which would clash big time with the narcistic pinhead Pollard, who has an even bigger ego.

I think Johnny Orr is the greatest coach we have ever had.

Reactions: cyclonenum1

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Floyd did NOT cheat!

Now before I get piled on, it was the USC booster machine that paid the likes of Mayo, Bush, insert 50% of the players here. With that being said Floyd knew this was happening and should have passed on Mayo's offer (Remember he came to Floyd, not visa versa).

For those that claim Floyd is a disgraced cheater, the ONLY reason that label could be used is because USC cut ties quickly to protect the "real" cheater: Pete Carroll and the football program.
Floyd cheated. No other way to put it. Players were taking money on his watch. He's a cheater.
Fred Hoiberg

Just because he was a great player doesn't mean squat about his coaching ability.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Not to throw this team under the bus, but I think we know what the future holds at ISU. I want to like McD but if he can't do it with this group of talent he will not be able to get it done with anybody. So in the sport of it a few of my buddies and I were talking about this last night Who is some coaching talent out there and what would be the odd ball chance we could get Floyd back here and would we want him???

If we are going to get a new coach, I want a NEW coach. All of these bring back Floyd, bring back LE posts are ridiculous. It will NEVER happen. Accept it, folks.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Fred Hoiberg

There are no guarantees in life. But the guy knows D-1 basketball, has links to pro ball to help recruiting and LOVES ISU and Ames.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
LE can't recruit for squat.

Floyd is a sleazy cheater

Hoiberg, Hornacek, etc. are all unproven (but could be hidden gems)

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
FYI for all of you that want a coach who is animated on the sidelines. Fred Hoiberg may even be less animated than GMac.

Not saying he can't coach, but you won't see Freddy running back and forth screaming at the refs or his players either. He is very level headed.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Floyd did NOT cheat!

Now before I get piled on, it was the USC booster machine that paid the likes of Mayo, Bush, insert 50% of the players here. With that being said Floyd knew this was happening and should have passed on Mayo's offer (Remember he came to Floyd, not visa versa).

For those that claim Floyd is a disgraced cheater, the ONLY reason that label could be used is because USC cut ties quickly to protect the "real" cheater: Pete Carroll and the football program.

This.

Everybody close to the situation will tell you the exact same thing. The story/accusations are "too good to be true."

Floyd was a fall guy to protect the FB program.

C

Cyclone42

Fred Hoiberg

There are no guarantees in life. But the guy knows D-1 basketball, has links to pro ball to help recruiting and LOVES ISU and Ames.

I think most of us are in reluctant and grudging agreement that we can't afford to fire McDermott. A lot of us badly want to, but we can't. But, that could give us a window of opportunity to pressure for major changes to his assistant coaching staff. Perhaps we could push to have McDermott bring in someone like Hoiberg or Hornacek as an assistant coach. Couldn't hurt, and even if the guy we brought in was a bust as a coach, he'd have less negative impact as an assistant than as a head coach. And, besides, we will be down next season anyway, so we may as well experiment a little. What we likely will lose after this season (Brackins, Gilstrap, and maybe even Staiger) will almost certainly be greater than what we bring in.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Floyd did NOT cheat!

This is incorrect. Tim Floyd gave money to an aquintance of OJ Mayo. Tim Floyd himself did.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Floyd did NOT cheat!

And tim did not know that? Either he was stupid or he looked the other way. Anyway you sell it, he was part of the deal. When the best player in America says he will play for you, the red flags should go up .

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
I'd love to have TF or LE back like anyone I suppose, but Floyd did leave us for greener pastures. In his four years here at ISU, "Timothy the great" did post an 81-49 record. He is the only coach in ISU history to post three consecutive 20-win seasons, Larry hasn't been all that successful at S. Miss. We'd probably have a better chance at getting him than Floyd. Floyd's currently an asst. with the N.O. Hornets now, right? I'm sure he's pretty comfortable right there for the moment. It'll be interesting t see how the GMAC saga unfolds.