Expectations

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Pre-season 2009, I expected 5 wins and thought 6 would be great. 6 and a great fun time in Tempe was awesome and beyond expectations. I think the first Insight was still a little more fun since we played better, but that was a truly awesome feeling to win.

Only major suprises was the win at NU and the really poor game against Iowa. Rest pretty much played out like I thought.

For next year, I would still be super excited to get 6 wins and roll the dice at a lower tier bowl game.

The program is definitely headed in the right direction.

Nov 9, 2008
Im going 6-6 maybe 7-5 for next year...just an early random guess

if ISU does that next year thats another step forward with the schedule you have on paper. Of course teams you expect to be good might stink and some that stink might be decent but on paper a 6-6, 7-5 year would be pretty good IMO.

Reactions: isucy1234

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
10-2. Post bowl exuberance and unrealistic expectations. Hawks will be roast toast and UNI will be a patsy.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Northern Illinois - Win - they had a okay season but will lose a lot for next year
@ Iowa - loss - a considering what they have returning, a win here would be like 2002
Utah - toss up - a good team that loses a fair amount of talent
Northern Iowa - win - we are a different program from 2007 and so are they
Texas Tech - toss up - a week ago I would have said loss and depending on what happens this next month I may turn this into a win
@ Kansas State - win - we should have beat them this past year
@ Oklahoma - loss - I don't care if they did have a down year, I just can't see a win happening
@ Texas - loss - to much talent, on the road for third week, third tough game= not going to win
Kansas (Homecoming) - win - Turner Gill will have a hard time pulling a Rhoads season with the talent lost this season
Nebraska - loss - If they can find a QB, Nebraska may win the Big 12 next year
@ Colorado - win - Hawkins last year for sure, again will do nothing
Missouri - win - Missouri will lose some pieces and its in Ames.

6-6 to 7-5
4-4 to 5-3 in Big 12 (can't believe I just typed that)

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
.500 next year would be a very successful season with that schedule.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
Sorry...but I expect our record to be worse than this year but we will field a better team.

Give it 2 years and you will finally see some positve improvement record wise.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
What has me concerned is that this year's team got outgained in conference play by 94 yards per game against the easiest schedule in the league. That was the second worst margin in the Big 12. With the harder schedule next year, we have almost no margin for error.

The Northern Illinois, Northern Iowa, Kansas, Kansas State, and Colorado games are all must wins, and we lost to two of those teams this year. On top of that, we have to upset somebody like Utah, Iowa, Texas Tech, Nebraska, or Missouri. If we lose one of the must wins, we need two upsets.

In other words, next year's team HAS to be better than this year's. I think the offense has a chance to be better, but the defense loses seven starters. The replacements better be ready to go.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
I'm pretty pumped up for next year. With this staff, I think we see some guys really improve and step up over the off season. I also think we'll start seeing guys, who maybe were not expected to do too much, come out of nowhere and start to contribute. 48 hours after the game and I'm still on cloud 9. Can't wait for spring ball.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I was expecting 3-4 wins this year. I thought 5 would be outstanding. Winning 6 was way beyond expectations. An additional bowl win was the sweet icing on the cake. I will be even more excited if we win 6 again next year.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
If they can snag four wins out of the first eight, I'll feel comfortable about bowl chances. But Texas and OU on the road in back-to-back weeks... wow, that hurts.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
Anything could happen. I just want ISU to be good enough to have a shot to win every game. Its nice to have a team that doesn't have 50+ piled on it a few times during the season. I think that if ISU goes 10-1 next season I won't be in shock.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
The Defense concerns me the most.

It will be very easy to improve on yards allowed. ISU really sucked when you look at yards given up. We were one or the worst in this category.

It will be very difficult to improve on RED ZONE DEFENSE. ISU was at the Top of the Big 12 here. When we needed to make a play, ISU did it.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
The Defense concerns me the most.

It will be very easy to improve on yards allowed. ISU really sucked when you look at yards given up. We were one or the worst in this category.

It will be very difficult to improve on RED ZONE DEFENSE. ISU was at the Top of the Big 12 here. When we needed to make a play, ISU did it.

Top in the Big 12, we are tops in the nation, currently 2nd.
1. Nebraska 64%
2. Iowa State 64.7%
3. Alabama 65%

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
8-5 with another win in the 'ole Insight bowl.

Losses to Texas, OU, Iowa, Utah, and Nebraska

Close wins over everyone else

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I don't have expectations. I can't believe how excited I am that ISU will be coached by Paul Rhoads next season. No matter where the cards fall I am already confident that we will give it everything. That is a great feeling.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Because I thought Chizik was a complete joke, I thought we should have won more games last year and I thought even a halfassed staff should have been able to get at least 5 wins out of the talent we had that year. So I confidently predicted six wins this year, possibly seven and maybe even 8 if the ball bounced our way.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
The schedule gets tougher no doubt. I'd be happy with another 6-6 effort. Fearing 5-7, and hoping for 7-5.

The fact that we can legitimately predict a 6 to 7 win season and fully expect it, is a step in the right direction.

Reactions: isucy1234