watching ncaa bb games tonight and i dont think coaching...

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
is our problem. the problem, which has been the same problem since gmac has been here is the guard play. dg can pass and doesnt turn it over, but in todays game the best teams have dynamic guards that will drive the lane every single time it is needed... that pulls people off the big men, and or other athletic players to make big time plays. we dont have a guard with the handle or strength to go to the hoop with authority and score when needed... dg gets in the lane, then what? nothing. and he doesnt explode to the hoop with power. that last guard we had that could do that was stinson and will b ...

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Comes along with the type of offense that is played, so it does come back to coaching.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
We don't have the backourt talent the the really good teams have. Actually, Colvin will come around to bolster things.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
is our problem. the problem, which has been the same problem since gmac has been here is the guard play. dg can pass and doesnt turn it over, but in todays game the best teams have dynamic guards that will drive the lane every single time it is needed... that pulls people off the big men, and or other athletic players to make big time plays. we dont have a guard with the handle or strength to go to the hoop with authority and score when needed... dg gets in the lane, then what? nothing. and he doesnt explode to the hoop with power. that last guard we had that could do that was stinson and will b ...

who is responsible for recruiting the guards that I agree we need?

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
That's why Colvin needs to play more!!

And yes I know he turns it over. So does Jon Wall. And Yes I know Colvin is not as good as Wall but you take the good with the bad. Right now we need Colvin's "good"

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I think the team needs an experienced Colvin. I will say there will be a difference between a year 3 colvin and year 1. That is why Garrett is the answer right now. Can't throw a freshmen out there right now to lead a team.

I think the team needs a 6-10 guy down low that may accidentally take someones head off when rebounding and shotblocking. My biggest complaint is that when I watch UNI play under Mac they had guys down low rebounding on missed shots. It just seems like we put up a shot and I will pause my DVR and See Brackins and Dendy 15 feet away and all the guards 3 point line and beyound. No wonder we can't rebound.

Until we get rebounding figured out and get to the freethrow line we will not get to the tournament. That comes down to toughness. The good thing is that this problem is easily fixable. So anytime would be nice :)

Last edited:

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Finally someone agrees with me! I have called out DG for the past two years. All I ever hear back is. Tell that to the guy who finshed 3rd in the league last year in assists. Look at his assist to turnover ration this year.... blah blah blah. He is a one pass and get out of the way PG. His guys sags off of him so far that the lane is completely clogged. The only DG ever drives that lane is the last play of the half. DG is the MAIN reason that this team is not very good. It is hard to get any motion when you are playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Reactions: CTAClone

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Also DG is no threat from outside 15 feet. The way UNI was sagging off him in the 2nd half was something else.

DG could get inside in the 1st half and it showed in about the last 8 minutes of the half. When UNI started collapsing away from him the wheels came off. That is when you mix it up and put Colvin in and dare them to do the same.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
On another note. Did anyone see Georgetowns Greg Monroe on Tuesday night? That is how Craig has to play.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I'm not a DG hater, but I do think Colvin needs to play a lot more. Also, Staiger needs to come off the bench as a role player because Christopherson is the better all-around ball player.

Clonebydesign

Jul 21, 2009
Ames
OP is so true. Tinselys last year we were great and not much on that team as for stars other than him. In college ball you have to have a good guard and simply right now we dont. Please dont try to BS yourself into thinking we do. Colvin will be a great one if we give him the minutes to develope. Other than that I think we have a turnover machine that cant shoot and doesnt seem to have a driver's License.:no:

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Chris Colvin is the long-term solution. He is a 4-star recruit and the #10 PG in the class of 2009. In addition, he has shown a great deal of promise in this young season. Give him time to get some games underneath his belt. In order to gain more playing time he does need to cut the number of turnovers down. In the meantime, DG and Buckley have experience and some things that they do extremely well. I believe this team, with the right hunger and drive can achieve great things.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think you have really hit on one of our key issues that really hasn't been talked about. DG's lack of an offensive game really limits us, and it is one of the reasons we have such a tough time when we are forced to play a half court game. I know you don't necessarily want your PG going for 15 a night, but he needs to be a threat to do it so that people respect that on D.

The way players are sagging off of him when he gets the ball outside is just crazy. It also really clogs up the entry pass to the post, and it is also pretty tough to drive and kick out on a guy playing 10 feet off of you. It is also hard to open up someone for a kickout when you can't finish on the drive. Why would someone collapse down to help on D when they don't have to watch much tape to see you aren't likely to finish the contested lay-up.

He does a great job taking care of the ball, but he at least needs to show that he is enough of a threat to score to keep the D honest, otherwise it will make everything else we do that much more difficult.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Comes along with the type of offense that is played, so it does come back to coaching.

I don't think coaching is our biggest problem. It's execution, and we're still not at the level of talent we need, that everyone on here thought we had.

If you watch the next game during our halfcourt offense, Mac will call out a play, and two half-a** screens will be set for DG(which accomplish nothing), which he dribbles around, then keeps dribbling, making no attempt to pass while Lucca stands on the wing doing nothing. I don't really know what Gilstrap is doing, just kind of roaming around waiting for an oop. Brackins being fronted by one player, and help D on the backside, no way to get the ball to him there.

Our players just need to give some effort on offense when they're not on a fast break. That's our problem. Mac can't do a whole lot when there's no execution on the court, sometimes players just need to learn, which will happen with this team.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
My $.02. I have been a GMac supporter since the beginning - giving him the benefit of the doubt on rotten luck and being 'dealt a bad hand' to start with. HOWEVER, this year is beginning to open my eyes, and I am really starting to question the coaching rather than the talent and depth. Here are the reasons that I see we are losing right now and where the deficiency is:

Rebounding: Split between players and coaches. Obviously, this critical part of the game is not being emphasized in practice.
Defensive Adjustments: This is all on the coaching staff. If we continue to sit in man to man when the other team is shredding it, that is not the players' fault, it is Mac's for not trying to stem the other teams' momentum by mixing in zone.
Lack of Player Leadership: Someone needs to step up to be a leader among the players. This is likely on the players themselves, but if Mac rules with an iron fist it may be hard for a player to really become assertive.

I mentioned these things in a thread relating to Coach Crean and Indiana a couple days ago. Mac's teams have never been strong in these 3 areas, and that is primarily on him and his staff. I am not off the bandwagon, but my support for Mac is weakening.