A game Pete Taylor would have loved

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
So....when I was in Lincoln yesterday celebrating, I just kept thinking about what this meant in our program's history. And that brought my mind to think about how our great Pete Taylor would have loved to have called that game.

So....just to show some honor and respect to our beloved Pete Taylor, I figured I would post Sports Illustrated's Steve Rushin's fitting tribute to our lost but not forgotten play by play hero.

SI.com - SI Writers - Steve Rushin - Air and Space - SI's Steve Rushin: World-Famous in Iowa - Wednesday March 12, 2003 09:44 AM

GO CLONES!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That's an incredible article. It just hit the nail on the head. I'll always remember fall saturdays growing up, in the tractor listening to Pete. He was my eyes for so many Cyclone football games as a kid, and I think that goes for a lot of us here.

Now I'm going to listen to the Pete Taylor tribute and try and fight emotion...

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Very nice article. Although it's a bit disturbing picturing him rocking out to "70's funk and 80's rap." If he were alive today, would he be a "crumper"? :wink:

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Of all my Pete Taylor memories growing up, I will NEVER forget him announcing "The Run."

this and Seiler's run vs Nebraska in '92 are two of my faves. it's a nice article, but Pete did say "how about that" quite often. I wonder if the writer had a chance to listen to him at all?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Of all my Pete Taylor memories growing up, I will NEVER forget him announcing "The Run."

Amen. That's one of those things that you remember exactly where you were and what was going when it happened. I honestly think having listened to Pete call it as it happened, in retrospect, was better than seeing it live. Pretty damn close, at least.

My favorite Pete Taylor memory might have been listening to the entire Insight Bowl, because I couldn't get to a TV w/cable.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Amen. That's one of those things that you remember exactly where you were and what was going when it happened. I honestly think having listened to Pete call it as it happened, in retrospect, was better than seeing it live. Pretty damn close, at least.

My favorite Pete Taylor memory might have been listening to the entire Insight Bowl, because I couldn't get to a TV w/cable.

i remember watching it on tv and listening to the radio. Billups punt return call is one of the best!

ISU_REV

Apr 21, 2006
Pete...You will be missed but never forgotten. We listen to your voice every time we make a trip to Ames for a game.

fwiw

May 20, 2009
I always loved Pete's postgames with Johnny Orr. Most of the time it was comedy gold, especially their early years together when Pete would set Johnny up to talk about the refs.