Starting secondary next week...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
What's going to look like? I bet McDowell and Bell are kicking themselves right now.

CB: LJ/Banks
Safety: O'Connell/Sims
Nickel: Reeves? Sandvig?

Benton was a doing a great job in the Nickel, imo. Someone has to step up here.

Speaking of stepping, props to Mike O'Connell for coming in after Smith's ejection and playing a great game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Who cares about McDowell and Bell... they aren't Cyclones anymore.

But yes, their opportunity would be there right now... BIG TIME.

I'd guess Reeves will get some playing time... along with Zac Sandvig.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Rhoads made it sound like he was playing with the injury and they basically had to force him to come out, I love that about him too....

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
What's going to look like? I bet McDowell and Bell are kicking themselves right now.

Speaking of stepping, props to Mike O'Connell for coming in after Smith's ejection and playing a great game.

Why would Smith not be starting at safety? Cause he was ejected? That was a weak call to eject him, the two players basically squashed it on their own and were slapping each other on the butt after that.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Why would Smith not be starting at safety? Cause he was ejected? That was a weak call to eject him, the two players basically squashed it on their own and were slapping each other on the butt after that.

NCAA rules say that if you get ejected, you're automatically disqualified for the first half of the following game.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

I think Raven can cover guys if they need him to, and I imagine A&M is going to try to run the ball a lot...

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I think Raven can cover guys if they need him to, and I imagine A&M is going to try to run the ball a lot...

A&M will pass way more than they run. Their QB leads the B12 in all purpose yardage at about 350 per game. Think Reesing against us...that is what we are up against again.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
A&M will pass way more than they run. Their QB leads the B12 in all purpose yardage at about 350 per game. Think Reesing against us...that is what we are up against again.

Exactly, Johnson threw for about 900 yards on us last season.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

They ran for 321 yards against Tech yesterday, so I don't think you can totally rule out them running the ball quite a bit...

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Benton was really getting into a comfort zone out on the field and playing smart. Really good upside!

I'm excited to find out who will step up and show what they are made of!

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I know O'Connell played well this week but I think back to last year and he was burned a lot, as well as Sandvig, I hope Reeves is as advertised because I have little faith in the other 2, maybe someone else will step up, Watson, Broomfield, or JC (Brooks or Crenshaw).

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
we need to recruit 6-0 4.4 40- and 200 lb d-backs. reeves may be fast,but how can a short d-back outjump a 6-6 receiver.sims is an exception at 5-9-this kid is a very good athlete.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
we need to recruit 6-0 4.4 40- and 200 lb d-backs. reeves may be fast,but how can a short d-back outjump a 6-6 receiver.sims is an exception at 5-9-this kid is a very good athlete.

Because there are SO many of those. :skeptical:

Their job isn't to outjump them, their job is to knock it away when they come down.

There aren't exactly a ton of 6-6 receivers out there either.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I know O'Connell played well this week but I think back to last year and he was burned a lot, as well as Sandvig, I hope Reeves is as advertised because I have little faith in the other 2, maybe someone else will step up, Watson, Broomfield, or JC (Brooks or Crenshaw).
Andrew is injured and probably won't be seeing the field while he is here. No offense to him, I'm sure he's a great practice player.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron