DMB Concert Reviews

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Freaking awesome. They played a good combo of new and old. The new stuff they played were the songs I liked from Big Whiskey. The improv they can do is 2nd to none.

CycoT

Sep 18, 2009
Ames
Sorry, I was posting from my blackberry. The concert had so many good things about it that it was hard to take it all in. I was in GA and it was a spectacle. The lighting, video screens, neon tube thingys, and a packed principal park. The crowd got a little rowdy towards the end but all is well. The setlist was perfect, right when you started getting comfortable, BAM! something new and very upbeat. The bands jam sessions were awesome and their cover of "bringing down the house" was great too. Kinda wished they played "too much" but overall great show. A+ to DMB, great show.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Sorry, I was posting from my blackberry. The concert had so many good things about it that it was hard to take it all in. I was in GA and it was a spectacle. The lighting, video screens, neon tube thingys, and a packed principal park. The crowd got a little rowdy towards the end but all is well. The setlist was perfect, right when you started getting comfortable, BAM! something new and very upbeat. The bands jam sessions were awesome and their cover of "bringing down the house" was great too. Kinda wished they played "too much" but overall great show. A+ to DMB, great show.

I think the word you were looking for was "Drunk"

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
the fourth time I have seen him...not the best, but still great. I have seen him 4 times and I will see him 40 more if he continues to come around here.

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale
First time i've seen him. We stood about 15 yards away from Dave. Easily best concert ever. Got some great cell phone pics and videos.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
All I wanted was Burning Down the House...AND I GOT IT! Maybe I've been spoiled by Alpine Valley but this concert was pretty vanilla. No huge surprises to be honest. Looking at the setlist, every song has been played within the last 3 shows with the exception of one or two. Dont get me wrong, they sounded amazing and they put on a great show. Originality was lacking. The improv was lacking on a lot of the songs IMO. Like I said, I've probably been spoiled by Alpine Valley.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
DMB is one of those bands that when they're gone and moved on people are going to listen and wish they'd seen him more live......I don't think a lot of people get that musicly, thats as good as they come.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't remember how many times I've seen Dave, I think three now, but he always puts on a good show. My mind wasn't blown last night (I was in the bleachers and was kind of far away) but it was just a good time. Tickets to his shows are a little spendy but I never feel like I don't get my money's worth.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Really wish I'd gone. I've seen them 3 times, including that epic show in Ames where Neil Young just found his way out on to the stage for a jam through "Cortez the Killer", "Rockin' in the Free World", and "All Along the Watchtower". I was waiting to hear Big Whiskey before I got tickets (i really didn't like Stand Up) and at that point it was too late. The DMB is unquestionably one of the greatest bands of this generation.

Oh well, I'm going to Wilco thursday night. I've never seen them and it should be great.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I want to know if they dumped their sewage from the RV in the DSM river.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Great show, was hoping for a better encore

Set list:

Don’t Drink the Water
So Damn Lucky
Seven
Funny The Way It Is
Shake Me Like a Monkey
You Might Die Trying
Stay Or Leave
Why I Am
Lying In the Hands of God
Crash (Into Me)
Crush
Alligator Pie
Improv
Rhyme And Reason
Burning Down The House
You and Me
So Much To Say
Anyone Seen The Bridge
Too Much (Fake)
Ants Marching

Encore:
Baby Blue
(Blue Water)
The Maker
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
The concert was good. I was a little disappointed in the people around me. Call me crazy, but I go to concerts to see the performance, enjoy the music and take it all in. In my section the people were treating it as if they were in a bar and there happened to be a band there. I swear to God - there were a couple of guys with there standing with their backs to the stage carrying on a conversation. One girl who had too much to drink getting sick. "Loud drunk girl" was well represented.

The people in front of me had finally had it and left right before Burning Down The House. Kind of a bummer - with a "Jam Band," I'd think most people buy the ticket for the music. But last night was more about the party, I guess. Don't have anything against that - just that Motley Crue probably would have been a better choice if you were just there to drink hard.

Reactions: Broodwich

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Good concert. BUT, principal park is NOT equipment to handle that big of crowd. Bathroom lines were horrible. The parking lot porta potties were very few. People were peeing in the parking lot.

I thought the venue somewhat ruined good music.

Reactions: Broodwich