How big of a recruiting advantage be with the New Practice Facility

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I don't know if it'll win us any recruits, but it'll help if a recruit is on the fence between Iowa State and someone else. It's a separator, especially compared to freaking State Gym (which is now closed).

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think it is a big advantage if your talking about the guys that could sit on the bench at Kansas or have an immediate impact on a program like ISU. I think we could potentially lure some of those players with our new facility and the chance to play right away

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I don't think anyone will come here exclusively because of the practice facility, but I do think it will play a decent role in the decision. Especially once the facility is lived in for a couple of years and takes on some personality

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
The new practice facility is akin to a decent benefits package at an employer, compared to a bad benefits package at an employer (state gym). Probably not enough to sway you one way or the other if you really want to work somewhere anyway, but it's not a disadvantage to recruiting anymore.

I'd say it's pretty much just keeping pace.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I always thought that State Gym could make a good official practice facility with some renovations. That way it could have been on campus and it would have some historical value.

I don't know why people put so much stock into the facilities being on campus. The only basketball players on campus are the freshman out in Freddy, so State Gym wasn't terribly close. Having it out in West Ames is closer for more of them than State is, plus it got the coaches, trainers, video room, etc. all under one roof.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I don't know why people put so much stock into the facilities being on campus. The only basketball players on campus are the freshman out in Freddy, so State Gym wasn't terribly close. Having it out in West Ames is closer for more of them than State is, plus it got the coaches, trainers, video room, etc. all under one roof.

Lol, I can't say im outraged about the location, or am putting stock into the facilities being on campus. I'm just saying thats a place I thought of way before any plans were made for the West Ames location.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I don't think of the new facility as an advantage - but rather, it removes a disadvantage. GMac has been recruiting with one hand tied behind his back - at least now its a fair-er fight. I'd like to politely remind my fellow cyclone fans that nearly every relevant school in the big12 already has a practice facility - we're just playing catch up.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I think most people are naive about how superficial most of these young recruits are. They love shiny tv's and new facilities. Nothing against them...their just 17 yr old kids but they are easily swayed by things like nice facilities.

The wins DO help though...

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I think it is a big advantage if your talking about the guys that could sit on the bench at Kansas or have an immediate impact on a program like ISU. I think we could potentially lure some of those players with our new facility and the chance to play right away

let's hope that the "chance to play right away" goes away someday soon.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
McD said in his interview that it had an impact in recruiting Colvin. And I believe WBB got a commitment right after a visit and a tour of the new facility.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It wont hurt. 13 had a story on it at 6 and it was very impressive. Could be as nice as any in the country.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If the BB facility been attached or adjacent to Hilton it might be an advantage; our new one it looks as if we bought an existing warehouse and remodeled it.
On campus would have been better.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Not sure if it's an "advantage" compared to most schools, as much as leveling the the playing field - at least from what I gather.

Maybe it helps that ours is the newest?

Reactions: vmbplayer

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
If the BB facility been attached or adjacent to Hilton it might be an advantage; our new one it looks as if we bought an existing warehouse and remodeled it.
On campus would have been better.

Existing warehouse and remodeled it? LOL! Don't trash one of the nations' best facilities like that.

If this facility was on campus it probably would have cost twice as much with less space, taken another year or two to build, and been situated in a less convenient location for the majority of the players who live close by to the new one.