How big of a recruiting advantage be with the New Practice Facility

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
The fact remains that we only had two players - Haluska and Thompson - make the All-Big 12 all-academic team of 28 players (3.0 or above) last spring. And, they've both graduated, so our team GPA is even lower now.

We need another guy like Andrew Skoglund to bring up the cumulative GPA of his teammates.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Like its been said this awesome practice facility isn't going to secure recruits by itself but it will sway people on the fences. Couple that with a very experienced coach, a AMAZING college atmosphere coliseum and if we can get Craig and Co. To have some good success this year, it could be quite a nice dynasty/return to glory for ISU basketball

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008
I watched Orr's teams practice in the Armory. And everyone looked happy doing it. And they won games.
Lot's of High School gyms are nicer than our new practice facility. I don't see how a kid's going to be impressed by a little box gym.
I'd think a kid would be more impressed to be practicing on the floor of Hilton Coliseum.
Total waste of money.
If it's not, then tell me when Harrison Barnes commits to us.

yep, because college basketball hasn't changed a bit since when Orr was coaching. What a waste. This new facility is a complete joke.

In other news, could someone give me a ride to work tomorrow? I'm having new shoes put on my horse, so I can't be late. I'd send a telegram to my employer to let them know I won't be there, but my boss is on vacation to Siam, and the HR guy is having his weekly leech treatment.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I watched Orr's teams practice in the Armory. And everyone looked happy doing it. And they won games.
Lot's of High School gyms are nicer than our new practice facility. I don't see how a kid's going to be impressed by a little box gym.
I'd think a kid would be more impressed to be practicing on the floor of Hilton Coliseum.
Total waste of money.

Well, this is an easy winner for the most clueless post on this topic.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
It kills me how our resident Gmac critics are also now critics of a freaking practice facility. There are like 129 positives to the new place, and ZERO negatives.

If you want more wins, you need better players. To get better players, you need better facilities.

We put up nice little $8 million gym in about a years time....and this apparently means our team will flunk out of class. :confused:

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Total waste of money.

:facepalm:

We seriously need a facepalm smilie for posts like this.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
It kills me how our resident Gmac critics are also now critics of a freaking practice facility. There are like 129 positives to the new place, and ZERO negatives.

If you want more wins, you need better players. To get better players, you need better facilities.

We put up nice little $8 million gym in about a years time....and this apparently means our team will flunk out of class. :confused:

It's sad isn't it?

I guess I shouldn't even be surprised about the "some high school gyms are better than our practice facility" comment.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Total waste of money.

I love you. Keep posting.

When I feel down I go to Wal-Mart and it makes me feel good about myself. Your posts have an eerily similar impact on me.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Total waste of money.

Do you have a brain?
double-facepalm.jpg

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Total waste of money.

The ill-informed nature of this post is mind blowing.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Total waste of money.

Whoa.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Total waste of money.
troll post what?

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Like its been said this awesome practice facility isn't going to secure recruits by itself but it will sway people on the fences. Couple that with a very experienced coach, a AMAZING college atmosphere coliseum and if we can get Craig and Co. To have some good success this year, it could be quite a nice dynasty/return to glory for ISU basketball

I think it will help with recruiting, but I wish McDermott had kept an open scholarship entering this season. You might recall that he signed Antwon Oliver late last season to use up the final scholly. Ejim will get JVB's scholarship for next season. Gilstrap's scholarship is the only one that is currently unspoken for for 2010. Yes, Brackins may go pro, but we don't know that for sure. So right now, ISU needs to keep Gilstrap's scholarship open for Barnes just in case he commits. That means the coaches don't have any scholarships to offer to other 2010 recruits.

Recruiting has been my biggest (and really only) concern about McDermott from the beginning, and it still is.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Gilstrap may retain his scholarship if he gets another year.

Brackins is going pro.

Barnes would get Brackins' scholarship.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think it will help with recruiting, but I wish McDermott had kept an open scholarship entering this season. You might recall that he signed Antwon Oliver late last season to use up the final scholly. Ejim will get JVB's scholarship for next season. Gilstrap's scholarship is the only one that is currently unspoken for for 2010. Yes, Brackins may go pro, but we don't know that for sure. So right now, ISU needs to keep Gilstrap's scholarship open for Barnes just in case he commits. That means the coaches don't have any scholarships to offer to other 2010 recruits.

Recruiting has been my biggest (and really only) concern about McDermott from the beginning, and it still is.

If we had a scholarship available this year...JP Olukemi would have been a Cyclone...

Brackins is not coming back for his senior year...

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Gilstrap may retain his scholarship if he gets another year.

Brackins is going pro.

Barnes would get Brackins' scholarship.

So if Brackins changes his mind (who knows what could happen), then we don't have a scholarship for Barnes? That's some brilliant planning there.

Help Support Us

Become a patron