A little outside perspective

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Just a snapshot on perspective, and how each win changes everything a little bit.

-All this year I have observed A&M comments and general outlook to the the ISU game. Basically, this outlook would be the aggregate of the moderate/realistic posters on this similar type message boards for Aggies that I belong to. In general they have had it written in as a win from the perspective. They have seen us as a bad team, new coach, etc.

From an outsiders perspective, lets be honest for all of the reasons above (and more), and based on little detailed information, that is a logical conclusion. This is not my opinion of the team, but it is an observation of what others see.

So, over the summer, the Aggies were more worried about beating KSU or Colorado. This was the aggregate concern from most Aggies who see them selves as a potential 5-7 win team. (realistic posters on their own program).

I have not joined in any discussions on the topic except in general comments or a specific question, as all it would do is go in circles. Until proof is given, perception will determine opinion.

So what did I see last night and this morning? Just a hint of doubt, a questioning, on, is ISU as weak as they think? Do they need to be less sure of it being a win? Not a great deal of discussion, but certainly some with an increase in doubt. Nice to see.

The second half was tough to watch after the first, but I hope it was a case of building experience for the future,

Respect will come one win (or close loss if played well) at a time and until that point, I will be happy with any win.

Measured steps for this program, we have not been 3-1 since the 2005 season. That is the goal for this team for the next level, in my opinion.

We as fans need to know how others see us, and how we can have expectations of improvement, but balance it with reality.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Respect comes with wins and wins alone for ISU, the days of "you guys played that team so close!" are over...bowl games will eventually determine it and even more than just bowls, competing for the big 12 north brings respect. And doing it consistently.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
The only thing I'd comment on would be the "second half being tough to watch".

It was. The good part of that is that we had a comfortable lead and it seemed that we had a good number of newer/different players in there. Namely Tiller and (the rb who's name is escaping me). Cohession is bound to be off a bit.

It was nice to see - a bunch of second and third stringer got substantial playing time. That will payoff down the road, need they be called on.

I can't take much from that game. Kent St, no disrespect, is an inferior opponent to just about anyone remaining on our schedule. We played well, but IMO weren't close to being dominating. How does that translate when the opposition goes up a few notches (see Army, KSU, CU, or even Baylor and A&M).

I agree completely with your conclusions. We get a "should be" win next Saturday and we're 3-1. Unchartered territory over the past several seasons. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither will ISU football. The next two weeks will tell us alot of where things are headed.

4-1 start is NOT out of the question. I don't think we're "good enough" to NOT be eccstatic about that as fans. And if we get to that point, the remainder of the conference will sit up and take notice.

Shinyhappyclone

Aug 25, 2007
iowa
.....and then we look out our uniforms and it says "Iowa State". I hate to plagarize Mizzourians, but Show Me. Show me Arnaud and company.

Watching Texas last night just made me sick. It must be soooooooo easy to be a Longhorn fan. They have everything and and every advantage. Much like when you play Nebraska, the offensive holding calls were way, way too convenient. I think they even got the infamous offensive pass interference call to their benefit (maybe I am getting my games mixxed up too. I watched a lot this weekend).

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Respect comes with wins and wins alone for ISU, the days of "you guys played that team so close!" are over...bowl games will eventually determine it and even more than just bowls, competing for the big 12 north brings respect. And doing it consistently.
This. Everyone may remember that we played tough in a loss for maybe a week or two, but, to use GC as an example, everyone knows his record as 5-19. Not 5-19 and almost beating OK, or 5-19 and having a 20 pt lead on KS at the break. They don't have a column in the record books for hard fought games so they are eventually thrown by the wayside.

If you want to earn continued respect, it is wins and wins alone that will do the job.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
This. Everyone may remember that we played tough in a loss for maybe a week or two, but, to use GC as an example, everyone knows his record as 5-19. Not 5-19 and almost beating OK, or 5-19 and having a 20 pt lead on KS at the break. They don't have a column in the record books for hard fought games so they are eventually thrown by the wayside.

If you want to earn continued respect, it is wins and wins alone that will do the job.

The flipside of the same coin is that a 4-1 start for us is not full of caveats that say "pounded by the Hawks", or "beat Kent St. and NDSU". To further your point, a win is a win is a win. 4-1 would be a great milestone for our program.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I think we are realistically looking at 4-5 wins, and I am hoping for 6-7. I can see us beating Army and either Colorado or KSU or both. If the team progresses, we sneak out a few more. Even 4-5 wins is a pretty good improvement, although of course all of us want to see a bowl game.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
.....and then we look out our uniforms and it says "Iowa State". I hate to plagarize Mizzourians, but Show Me. Show me Arnaud and company.

Watching Texas last night just made me sick. It must be soooooooo easy to be a Longhorn fan. They have everything and and every advantage. Much like when you play Nebraska, the offensive holding calls were way, way too convenient. I think they even got the infamous offensive pass interference call to their benefit (maybe I am getting my games mixxed up too. I watched a lot this weekend).

I watched the game and the only call I saw that was blown was the helmet to helmet on Potts. I thought they blew the on right before halftime, but they explained it and the refs were right. Overall I though it was pretty well officiated.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
To me, the biggest game of the year is down in KC against Kansas State. Regardless of what happens against Army, the most important thing I want to see this team do is end the conference winless streak. I don't really get too high or low with wins and losses but if we lose that game I'm worried the pressure mounts to get that streak snapped.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
4-1 start is NOT out of the question. I don't think we're "good enough" to NOT be eccstatic about that as fans. And if we get to that point, the remainder of the conference will sit up and take notice.

IF we find a way to win our next two games and get to 4-1 then I would expect to see the most frenzied, obsessive, and absolutely relentless Cyclone fanbase that I can remember. It is time to circle the wagons as a fanbase and really get behind this team. No more doubting, no more "are we running the right offense" or "can we win another game this year" threads. I can tell you that the biggest factor in that Army game could be the crowd. It needs to be loud and crazy in there. It's hard to focus on running the triple option when your ears are ringing. :yes:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Respect will come one win (or close loss if played well) at a time and until that point, I will be happy with any win.
Thank you. The only tiny quibble that I have, is that I really don't care if the Aggies respect us--as long as they lose to us. :yes:

CyAg

May 22, 2006
It was a hit to the head with a 2x4.

My first time on campus was the weeek after that game. Nice memories.