Good article on Eustachy and Gillespie

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I found this on CBSSportsline.com the other day. It does put LE in a very good light. As for Gillespie, I stopped liking him when he went to Kentucky and supposedly tried to steal Weasel Johnson away from us, but if he is suffering from alcoholism, maybe there's a good reason why he comes offf as such a pr!ck.

Anyone want to take a side bet on how long this thread takes to turn into either an indictment or defense of LE's performance at ISU?:wink:

Gillispie's tale rings familiar tune to recovering Eustachy - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
LE comparing alcoholism to cancer? Good...god...

Exaggerating a fact to make a point. I do it all the time. I hate when people discount alcoholism as being nothing, or as if it is none of their business, and I think it's freaking ridiculous that people think that way. If we don't help people with the problem, they will continue to make the same mistakes. I'd rather help someone after a first mistake (or even third) before mistake six or seven takes an innocent life in a drunk driving situation, etc.

I can say I am proud of Larry for the leaps and bounds he has made to this point in his journey to sobriety, and will always be proud to call him a Cyclone.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm surprised the LE rehab articles keep appearing; the reporters seem to keep reprinting the same stuff.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I'm surprised the LE rehab articles keep appearing; the reporters seem to keep reprinting the same stuff.

A lot of people have drinking problems. LE's story is a good one since he has been clean. Many others are not.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Anyone want to take a side bet on how long this thread takes to turn into either an indictment or defense of LE's performance at ISU?:wink:

Since this is the 10th post, "What is the 11th post in this thread, Alex?, for $1000."

Spam

May 21, 2008
OK i'll go- Iowa State used to be good at BB. Now ISU BB is like ISU FB. In FB season, BB season can't get here soon enough. In BB season, FB season can't get here soon enough.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Having watched a parent and several other relatives die from cancer, I can say that I agree with one thing in that article: That Eustachy is so full of sh--.

They both destroy lives, seems like a good comparison to me. The only difference is that with alcoholism you do it to yourself (unless you are hit by a drunk driver), with cancer you normally have no control over it (providing your not a smoker).

More Americans will die this year because of alcohol than have died in all the wars since WWII. It is a problem.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The only difference is that with alcoholism you do it to yourself (unless you are hit by a drunk driver), with cancer you normally have no control over it (providing your not a smoker).

That's kind of a big difference, and it isn't even close to being the "only" one.

See this post...

I hate when people like LE elevate a behavior, like alcoholism, to the level of the disease of cancer. It's obscene.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
They both destroy lives, seems like a good comparison to me. The only difference is that with alcoholism you do it to yourself (unless you are hit by a drunk driver), with cancer you normally have no control over it (providing your not a smoker).

More Americans will die this year because of alcohol than have died in all the wars since WWII. It is a problem.

So alcoholism is like suicide and cancer is like dying in an airplane crash. Unless the pilot is committing suicide, of course. Your "only" difference is HUGE.

clonecard

Oct 21, 2006
Re: LE

HUGE congrats to LE for staying sober. I have been around cancer and alcoholism and the latter is insidious as to how it totally cripples a person with very little awareness. Everyone sees it but you until everything is gone and then maybe you realize something is wrong.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
If Bruce V. would have handled that situation right Larry would still be coaching here

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Uhmm, his last 2 years we sucked. If that would have continued he would not still be here.

I don't want to get into or start this debate, but Stinson, Blalock etc were coming in his next year. I would be thrilled to still have Larry here.