Landscaping (rock)

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
My landlord wants to put in rock in front of my house. It is over 900 Sq feet. We are going to dig down the dirt with a skid and put the rock on top. We are also going to divide the area in half and put in 2 different shades of rock. The landlord doesn't seem to think that we need to put down the fabric/plastic barrier before we lay the rock. I seem to think we do.

Thoughts?

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
Well she is a 90 year old lady. She has some family in town who will do most of the work. I said I would help, because I am a nice guy.

Yes, lay down fabric. although, this is the worst part of landscaping in my opinion.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
If you're doing rock, I'd put down the fabic (not plasic and you may have water collection issues. let it soak in through the fabric).

I put it down around our house and wish I hadn't - but we have more perenials and such.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
You will have a lot less weeds if you put a barrier down.

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
If you don't lay some sort of barrier underneath the rock, you'll have to weed it regularly. If that's not a problem, you don't need the barrier.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
weeds and grass will grow through it if you don't put down the fabric.

weeds and grass will still grow on top of the fabric, but it's easier to pick it outt since the roots don't get established in dirt.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
You might want to mention you live in Wyomming too there bro... big difference, not a lot of rain and the soil not as fertile. Fabric would be ideal but I guess you could put some preen and roundup down before you put the rock down and that would probably do the trick in your climate since you have to water the heck out of your lawns there just to grow grass.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
terrible idea with Rock, you'll have all kinds of water/erosion issues, can you talk her into mulch? Definitely lay that black fabric down, cuts down on weeds.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
When my family lived in CO, our yard was probably 60% rock landscaping. They definitely put down the fabric beforehand.

birdflu

Nov 14, 2006
Iowa
When I worked in the landscaping industry we always put down fabric (not plastic!) under rock. It was somewhat helpful in preventing weeds, and kept the rock from mixing with the soil underneath.

[On the other hand, wood mulch should go right on the bare ground (with preen, if you like) mulch breaks down into organic matter perfect for seed germination and the resulting weeds are a real pain to pull out of landscaping fabric.]

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
Fabric for sure, very little weeding, better with the rocks. Also, rocks equal less bugs!!!! Mulch just lets them come right up to the house, unless you use cedar mulch-keeps away fleas, termites..... I live in South Carolina so the fleas are bad!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron