Arkansas Rumor

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
ESPN is reporting that Larry Eustachy is a candidate for the Arkansas opening

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Even for Larry, I'd say that is a bad move. If he is successful at Southern Mississippi, he could probably have a better pick of schools. Arkansas isn't a bad place (for basketball) but the administration there is a disaster.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
wow....I live here and I haven't heard that one. They passed on Tim Floyd and hired Heath which was a big mistake. This might not be that bad of a choice. Actually I'd love to see LE here in NW Arkansas.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Good opportunity for Larry. Surprised a major conference school would be interested at this point.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
No way...they start with Gillispie and now are going after Eustachy? Something is wrong with this picture...there are many better candidates out there than Eustachy and all of his baggage.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
No way...they start with Gillispie and now are going after Eustachy? Something is wrong with this picture...there are many better candidates out there than Eustachy and all of his baggage.

It doesn't make sense to me either. Even if you ignore his baggage, it's not as if he's doing great at Southern Miss. Seasons of 10 wins, 11 wins, and 20 wins (16-11 vs D1 teams) usually doesn't get you major interest. Arkansas is a fine job, hope he gets lucky and gets it.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Also saw on ESPN's site that Memphis has given permission for Arkansas to speak with Calipari. I would think that Arkansas would have some appeal for either Calipari or Eustachy (both are currently coaching in a mid-major conference).

stepha4

May 3, 2006
I'm shocked anyone would question his ability to win. If
Arkansas hires him it's a great hire for them.......my god, it's
Arkansas.....it's not Duke. Larry made some bad choices....but he's a winner.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
The admin at Arkansas is a mess, but I read somewhere that Broyles was finally going to retire this year, so it should get better. They have tons of money to spend.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
If Larry goes to the HOGS, will he hire Wayne Morgan as an Assistant to help with recruiting?

If I were a head coach in a major conference, I would hire Wayne in a second. Larry, Steve Barnes, and Wayne back together again? :Smoking:

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Even for Larry, I'd say that is a bad move. If he is successful at Southern Mississippi, he could probably have a better pick of schools. Arkansas isn't a bad place (for basketball) but the administration there is a disaster.

Yeah, you're right..the athletic department is a mess here. But I don't see that it's such a bad move for LE. They really love their BB down here and I wouldn't be the least suprised that someone like LE could revive the Hawg program down here. If they hire him, I might just become a Hog fan. :yes4lo:

The biggest thing for Arkansas would be to get rid of Broyles NOW instead of this one year 'fare well' tour. This is the guy that has trashed Arkansas Athletics. They seriously need to 'clean the slate' down here much like ISU did. And I'm not so sure that LE wouldn't be a good hire

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Good opportunity for Larry. Surprised a major conference school would be interested at this point.

Thanks to Broyles Arkansas got caught with their pants down. Broyles decided, without the use of a search committee, that he could lure in a big name coach. Yeah that obviously didn't work. Gillispie wasn't interested...Self wasn't interested...and my personal favorite, Tim Floyd wasn't interested. So now it isn't working so good for Broyles (sounds similar to the Morgan fiasco?). So I truely think LE would be a great fit for U of A.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
A name I heard in the media as a possible was Nebraska's Doc Sadler. The thinking was if they couldn't get Gillispie then go after 1 of his top assistants when Gillispie coached at UTEP.

Sadler previously was an assistant at Arkansas (1982-85) and Arkansas-Fort Smith (1988-91, 1997 -98) ,and actually athletic director and head men’s basketball coach at the University of Arkansas-Fort Smith from 1998-03. Sadler also graduated from Arkansas in 1982. His father also coached in the state of Arkansas.

I realize that he's only been at Nebraska for 1 season...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Supposedly Sadler made light of the situation. He said it was only a hogcall.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
OK, in all actuality Arkansas is very much a top job. They have history, and money on their side. I personally can't believe that Mike Anderson did not wait a year and see if the job did come open.

As far as Larry getting the job, I don't know. Eddie Sutton is still beloved there, so they like people with flaws. I guess that I just don't see Larry getting the opportunity at this point. He is still remembered for what happened here, probably always will be. But there just isn't enough time between what happened and now to make me think that this is real.

I will say that there is plenty of resources for whoever gets that job.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Most of you (except Darts and Arkansas) do not seem to understand how good this job is.

This is easily one of the top 15 or 20 jobs in the country. They are passionate about basketball. They have tradition...they were back to back participants in the Final Four in the mid 90s. They have fantastic facilities...a brand new arena that holds about 20,000 and is full for nearly every game. They play in a high profile Conference that has a TV deal with CBS. They have money...can you say "WalMart"? The area in northwest Arkansas is a very vibrant area due to all of the "WalMart" development.

About the only negative to this job is the current athletic administration in place. But even with that, they will get a better candidate than Eustachy.