For those that are against the Pollard extension...

LeBron

Nov 12, 2008
I still don't understand why we were going to give chizik an extension after he led us to 5 wins in 2 years.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
The FB and MBB programs remain at a standstill in their respective basements. To me, that is the trump card.

unfortunately for FB, i don't see that changing for at least a couple more years. MBB has a legitimate chance IMO to turn the corner beginning this fall.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
IMO you are simply taking solace in anything you can find rather than looking at the reality of the situation.

The FB and MBB programs remain at a standstill in their respective basements. To me, that is the trump card.

I'm a bottom line person as well, but to look at the bottom line only without considering the context seems foolish. Please be honest here - did you applaud Pollard (like everyone else) when he hired Gene Chizik a few years ago? Do you know any other basketball coach that has inherited a program in disarray and then lost his best returning player three years in a row?

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
It takes about 30 seconds to read it. What are you... a Hawkeye fan or what? It probably took you longer to post your message than it would have to actually read it.

Nope not a hawk fan. Just not a fan of LOOOOONG posts. What are you... (fill in the blank with your favorite insult)?

Reactions: CyBobby

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I agree with the original poster that if people want JP gone, they should give some reasons. To say that JP should be fired because we're not winning in FB or BB is not enough. I want to hear what poor decisions he has made and why a wiser man would have chosen differently.

In hindsight, we are all experts, but the decisions that JP made were not in hindsight, they were tough decisions that had to be made while not knowing what the outcome would be. To JP's credit, he realized that the old way wasn't working for us and decided to try a new approach. It was a risky move that not many would have the stomach for.

Additionally, regardless of anything else, JP made those decisions in the best interest of ISU. Whether they were right or wrong, whether you agree or not, you know that JP did not make those decisions with plan to "screw" ISU, and for that you have to respect him.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
All I know is that at this years Cyclone Tailgate we had the largest crowd I've ever seen and that's after a lousy basketball and football season. JP's marketing is getting that done. People care which is a far cry from apathy which is what really kills programs.

JP's got my vote of confidence. Now just win some more football games!:yes:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
IMO you are simply taking solace in anything you can find rather than looking at the reality of the situation.

I have a really, REALLY, hard time blaming where we are in football on JP. Granted, he gave Chizik a baseless extension, but while I was admittedly concerned about things, I thought he still would get it done.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
All I know is that at this years Cyclone Tailgate we had the largest crowd I've ever seen and that's after a lousy basketball and football season. JP's marketing is getting that done. People care which is a far cry from apathy which is what really kills programs.

JP's got my vote of confidence. Now just win some more football games!:yes:

Huge crowd at the CR Tailgate stop as well. ISU fans are awesome. If Rhoads and GMac start winning some games.... watchout! I don't know if there's a team in the country that has had the football and MBB seasons like we've had recently... and we still get big crowds on gamedays... as well as in a mall parking lot in Cedar Rapids in May!

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Pollard's head coaches left for better opportunities at more high profile athletic schools for better money. That says something about them.

The ones he got rid of... DMac and WM... went where? DMac went to be an assistant defensive coach under Wally Burnham at South Florida... and WM is still in Ames, correct? Not as if anyone was knocking down their doors to hire them.

So the coaches he got rid of... nobody really wanted. And the ones he hired... were sought after. I still don't know why Auburn wanted Chizik, but they did, which says something that JP got him to Ames.

Amen to this my friend. This is the biggest indicator of how bad things were before we got rid of DMac and WM. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY wants either of them for a head coach even though they coached at the highest level in a BCS conference (and had some degree of success according to many of you). One can get a position coach job and the other can only sell satellite dishes.

I'm sorry, but Pollard has been a blessing to date. He isn't perfect, because nobody is, but he is a hard working son of a gun on a mission and if you can't get behind that then you have no business calling yourself a Cyclone IMO.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Re: Ken Miller - Mr. hypocracy

I'm done listening to KXNO.

For as many times as I read this I'm amazed that Des Moines still has local sports talk radio - almost every poster on here has sworn off of them at least twice. How do they carry on?

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Huge crowd at the CR Tailgate stop as well. ISU fans are awesome. If Rhoads and GMac start winning some games.... watchout! I don't know if there's a team in the country that has had the football and MBB seasons like we've had recently... and we still get big crowds on gamedays... as well as in a mall parking lot in Cedar Rapids in May!

I came late to the CR Tailgate stop ... was during Jamies talk - there were plenty of chairs available, I was hoping that we had higher turnouts other years (this was the first one I'd been to).

Definately wouldn't have described it as huge.

(there's a slow pitch over the middle office fans)

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Amen to this my friend. This is the biggest indicator of how bad things were before we got rid of DMac and WM. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY wants either of them for a head coach even though they coached at the highest level in a BCS conference (and had some degree of success according to many of you). One can get a position coach job and the other can only sell satellite dishes.

I'm sorry, but Pollard has been a blessing to date. He isn't perfect, because nobody is, but he is a hard working son of a gun on a mission and if you can't get behind that then you have no business calling yourself a Cyclone IMO.

"he worked really hard on this grandpa"
"so do washing machines"

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
If you are against JP's extension then you have to explain to the original poster why you hate Iowa St, America, and fluffy baby bunnies.

I hate Iowa State because they renamed the College of Education the College of Human Sciences. I hate America because we have the WNBA. I cannot find a reason to hate fluffy baby bunnies. I also support JP.

Some people on this board lack a sense of humor.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I hate Iowa State because they renamed the College of Education the College of Human Sciences. I hate America because we have the WNBA. I cannot find a reason to hate fluffy baby bunnies. I also support JP.

They're chewing up my veggie garden and tormenting my dog.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER

I hate baby bunnies because there meat isn't very tender, that is why you have to make them into a stew...