For those that are against the Pollard extension...

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Here is the way I see it as an outsider:

Jamie needs to deliver a coach that can produce some wins. Basketball needs to win this next season. Football I could give through 2011 to evaluate. If you're trying to justify this outside of those two sports you're wasting your time. On that side of the ledger JP hasn't done much of anything since 2005, but he hasn't gone backwards yet either.

Then, there is the money side. Facilities have improved and are improving. Culture is changing. Whether the critical Clone Fan wants to acknowledge it or not JP has generated interest again and that is evident by monetary results that you can't argue.

Lastly, as I understand it, this is an extension without a raise. Which in this economy I think is the responsible approach. So, while he undoubtedly needs to deliver on the W-L ledger here in his major sports I think ultimately this extension is reasonable considering what he's done on the business side of things.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
What are you smoking? And when did we get 6 conference titles in MBB?

We got 3 under Eustachy and 1 under Floyd.

I don't think it's out of line to presume we go two others somewhere along the way.

There's more history to ISU than when you came on the scene.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
We got 3 under Eustachy and 1 under Floyd.

I don't think it's out of line to presume we go two others somewhere along the way.

There's more history to ISU than when you came on the scene.

Eustachy only won 2 and Floyd never won a conference season championship.

Loiuse Menze won 4 Big Six championships in the 30s and 40s.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Eustachy only won 2 and Floyd never won a conference season championship.

Loiuse Menze won 4 Big Six championships in the 30s and 40s.

My mistake. Plenty of people consider the touneys as conference crowns as well. Particularly in basketball where it's the ticket to the NCAAs.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My mistake. Plenty of people consider the touneys as conference crowns as well. Particularly in basketball where it's the ticket to the NCAAs.

I think most people give the "conference champion" crown to the tournament winner, not to the regular season champion (for the reasons you mentioned above). In that scenario, Men's Basketball has two championships that I know of - one for Floyd, one for Eustachy.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The way I look at it is simple. I look at what Pollard has gotten going here with facilities upgrades and money input, all the while, our two major men's team are sucking. I'm just trying to imagine what could happen here, with him, if we got the football team to some bowl games and get our men's team even a birth in the NCAA tournament/bring back Hilton magic.

I would agree that it's quite arguable as to weather or not he deserved the extension. At the same time, the AD isn't all about winning every football game or basketball game. It's about putting the pieces in place that make your school attractive to potential athletes, coaches and fans. I definitely think we are on the right path there.

Like others have said, he's not perfect, but who is? Things are going in the right direction and to be honest, the worst thing that could happen now, weather you like him or not, would be to lose Mr. Pollard. People can harp all they want about the Chizik hire, but I don't believe anyone who tells me they weren't somewhat excited when he got here. And what Chizik did to us had less to do with Jamie Pollard and more to do with the fact that Chizik would have done that to any school except for maybe 10 other schools in the country. He was looking for his drea job. At this point, I'm just hoping things pan out for JP, I'm tired of being pissed off all the time about ISU men's sports. I want to start being happy. And personally, losing JP wouldn't make me happy right now.

Reactions: CyBobby

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I think most people give the "conference champion" crown to the tournament winner, not to the regular season champion (for the reasons you mentioned above). In that scenario, Men's Basketball has two championships that I know of - one for Floyd, one for Eustachy.

Actually, I think most people count both - as they both are championships in their own right.

Personally, I consider the conference champion the regular season and call the touney champ what it is. I don't discount the tourney, but IMO it's much less of a championship in that it's really 3 days (maybe 4) of glory instead of being the best over the long haul.

So in the recent past, I'd say ISU has 2 conference crowns and 2 tourney championships.

But it's hard to define what's meant from one person to the next.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Actually, I think most people count both - as they both are championships in their own right.

Personally, I consider the conference champion the regular season and call the touney champ what it is. I don't discount the tourney, but IMO it's much less of a championship in that it's really 3 days (maybe 4) of glory instead of being the best over the long haul.

So in the recent past, I'd say ISU has 2 conference crowns and 2 tourney championships.

+1 I agree.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

I agree completely. I usually refer to the regular season champion as the conference champion. It makes it easier when one team wins both like in 2000. :smile:

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa

That's pretty much the way I have always viewed. If I had to pick I'd give the nod to the regular season results as the champion.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Will people please stop with the "there were things going on behind the scenes with Morgan that nobody knows about". That's just rumor and slander to try to justify somebody's opinion, and I'm not buying any of it. I know somebody who knew Archibald and the main thing going on behind the scenes in Morgan's last year was JP putting on undue pressure and meddling with the program.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Will people please stop with the "there were things going on behind the scenes with Morgan that nobody knows about". That's just rumor and slander to try to justify somebody's opinion, and I'm not buying any of it. I know somebody who knew Archibald and the main thing going on behind the scenes in Morgan's last year was JP putting on undue pressure and meddling with the program.

Irony?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

I just wish people on both sides would move on...

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I agree that the facilities are coming along nicely. Its disturbing, however, that two coaches he hired bolted for the first chance to get out of dodge. I realize they both left for great opportunities but the way they left was devastating to any progress that Pollard may have been making with facility upgrades and what not.

The question that I have re your post is....Are the coaches that Jamie hired better or worse than the coaches that either got fired/bolted/or left for greener pastures in pennsylvania????

Could you please answer that?

"Jamie Pollard should NOT be fired...Jamie should be made to stay in Ames to clean up his mess"....sez Alan

CyBob sez..."Well Al good olde jamie has til 2014 to do his thing. Is that long enough for you?":cool:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
The question that I have re your post is....Are the coaches that Jamie hired better or worse than the coaches that either got fired/bolted/or left for greener pastures in pennsylvania????

Could you please answer that?

"Jamie Pollard should NOT be fired...Jamie should be made to stay in Ames to clean up his mess"....sez Alan

CyBob sez..."Well Al good olde jamie has til 2014 to do his thing. Is that long enough for you?":cool:

It's way too early to tell. That's like predicting if the new head of GM is better than the last guy.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

The reason why I referred to it the way I did is because of how CBS and ESPN refer to it in their selection shows/tournament coverage - when they state "The Champion of the _____", it refers to the tournament winner, not the regular season winner (unless talking about the Ivy League, since they don't have a postseason tournament). This is because most conferences send the tournament champion, not the regular season champion.

In fact, who won the Big XII regular season championship last year? Two years ago? Three? Now, who won the tournament championship? I'm willing to wager the tourney champions will probably be easier to remember, because a higher emphasis is placed on those champions than the regular season ones. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that only the fans of a particular school care about the "Regular Season Championship" that they won, because for the most part it's a meaningless championship.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The reason why I referred to it the way I did is because of how CBS and ESPN refer to it in their selection shows/tournament coverage - when they state "The Champion of the _____", it refers to the tournament winner, not the regular season winner (unless talking about the Ivy League, since they don't have a postseason tournament). This is because most conferences send the tournament champion, not the regular season champion.

In fact, who won the Big XII regular season championship last year? Two years ago? Three? Now, who won the tournament championship? I'm willing to wager the tourney champions will probably be easier to remember, because a higher emphasis is placed on those champions than the regular season ones. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that only the fans of a particular school care about the "Regular Season Championship" that they won, because for the most part it's a meaningless championship.

I know in the Big 12 both receive a conference championship trophy. It's weird.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think we need the stability of keeping our AD. So the extension with no raise makes sense. As far as letting WM go. It had to be done. He was losing control of the program as the players did what they wanted. DMac had to be let go as well. We were just a few plays away from a winless season. Our recruiting had hit the wall. Our assistant coaches sucked and we looked like we were going to slide into oblivion. We would watch our season tickets dry up and our athletic department would be in a financial disaster. So we brought in Chizik. He served his purpose. We sold a lot of tickets and he brought in some decent talent. But his assistants were so-so. And Chizik himself was not proven to be a necessarily great coach. Rhoads seems like a nice fit. He would have been the heir apparent to Chizik even if Chizik had stayed a couple more years. I had heard Rhoads name thrown around for a few years now. Kevin Jackson seems like a good choice. I think he will be decent. He certainly has a passion.

I think we just need to have patience. JP is making upgrades to our facilities. So he must have the ear of donors. Give our coaches time and support. The coaches we have will probably stay if they win. And that is huge in today's environment.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It's way too early to tell. That's like predicting if the new head of GM is better than the last guy.

I just want your opinion & I could care less if I agree with you or not...I just wanted your opinion...thats all!!!!

I just saw where Lew Perkins was getting 900K a year, it used to be that the athletic director at Kansas was on the endangered speces list...My how a little suck-sess can change things for the better!!!!

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I just want your opinion & I could care less if I agree with you or not...I just wanted your opinion...thats all!!!!

I just saw where Lew Perkins was getting 900K a year, it used to be that the athletic director at Kansas was on the endangered speces list...My how a little suck-sess can change things for the better!!!!

You got my opinion. Sorry you can't handle it.