For those that are against the Pollard extension...

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I hate Iowa State because they renamed the College of Education the College of Human Sciences. I hate America because we have the WNBA. I cannot find a reason to hate fluffy baby bunnies. I also support JP.

Some people on this board lack a sense of humor.
I hate fluffy baby bunnies because they always get fur everywhere when I put them in a blender. They should be less fluffy.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I hate fluffy bunnies because they always hate those damn eggs too good - just found one last weekend.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I came late to the CR Tailgate stop ... was during Jamies talk - there were plenty of chairs available, I was hoping that we had higher turnouts other years (this was the first one I'd been to).

Definately wouldn't have described it as huge.

(there's a slow pitch over the middle office fans)

I thought there was a decent turnout for the CR tailgate. I think some people had already left by the time the coaches/staff talked. And plenty were still milling about outside the tent where the kids' stuff was. I know my son was pulling his dad around everywhere while I was at one of the tall tables under the tent with baby girl.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
This ... except I'm definately not in favor of the extension NOW. Everyone claims we're going to get 4-6 wins in football and have a smash-bang gilstrap-heavy basketball season ... if that happens I'm all in to extending him next year ... or the next, we gots plenty of time. I guess now we have more ...

If that happens you might have to include a raise with that extension. It seems like the extention now is a bit of a calculated risk in order to save us few dollars later.
But, if that doesn't happen... then you got some problems...

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Take out the Pollard years in both MBB and football.

Football (all-time): 44.8% winning percentage, 3 conference titles, 2 bowl wins and 9 bowl appearances.
Football (under Pollard): 25% winning percentage, no titles or bowls

MBB (all-time): 49.3% winning percentage, 6 conference titles, 13 NCAA bids, 3 NIT bids
MBB (under Pollard): 50% winning percentage, no titles, no postseason bids

Football's low as we are 7 wins shy of the avg., but basketball is right there with our avg over time. Fans are spoiled as the early part of this decade was probably when the two teams coincided with some of their greatest successes, but those were some of the best few years in the teams' respective 100 year histories.

People need to realize that history shows us something. I believe that the ABSOLUTE best that we can hope for on a year in-year out basis in football is to finish with a minimum of a game or two under .500. Some years we will do much better, but consistently I would expect we could at least do no worse than 4 wins. Basketball for me would be .500 as well. We are never going to get to a point where we win at least 7 games a year in football or 20 games a year in basketball every season year after year. It is not going to happen at ISU.

Schools like ISU don't keep that kind of solid success going every season; either the assistants are hired away, bad hires are made, head coaches leave, recruiting dries up, injury-plagued years, guys leave early for the pros or other reasons, etc.. We never have the kind of depth that it takes to be as consistent as I get the feeling some people expect we can get to. Not to mention all the progress we make in facilities still leaves us woefully behind our conference peers (football weight room anyone?).

In the end, I don't know if Pollard deserved an extension right now, but I assume Geoffrey had a reason for extending it in spite of the W/L columns.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Clonedude-Get your facts straight. The only person upset about the scheduling issue was JP, the NCAA said there was nothing there worth investigating. Morgan is almost 60 years old and may not want to move his family and start over with another coaching gig, especially after the way he was treated at LBS (where he won a conference title), and ISU. The fact that he isn't currently coaching means nothing. What does mean something is that he took over our program when it was in big trouble, kept the recruits coming, and gave us 4 post season wins, 4 wins over top 8 teams, and 3 winning seasons, which is head and shoulders above wht GMac has done.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
bfross- I would say our modern era basketball record (say the last 15-20 years) is well above 500, and the only way we're 500 under JP is by adding in Morgan's winning record in his last year. I'd love to have seen what Morgan's 4th team would have done had JP not muddled up the program. How about a starting lineup of Stinson, Blaylock, and Clark, with an experienced Jiri and Taggart, plus a great bench. I really believe that could have been a sweet 16 team.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The ones he got rid of... DMac and WM... went where? DMac went to be an assistant defensive coach under Wally Burnham at South Florida... and WM is still in Ames, correct? Not as if anyone was knocking down their doors to hire them.

So the coaches he got rid of... nobody really wanted.

Hey, this just in: no one was "knocking down the doors" to hire Rhoads either. He was out of a job, and he said he was in the car, driving to Clemson for a position coach interview, when Iowa State contacted him.
I'm so sick of the Mac-bashing, especially since he's the one man Rhoads trusted to give him the straight scoop about Jamie and the current state of affairs at Iowa State.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I still don't understand why we were going to give chizik an extension after he led us to 5 wins in 2 years.

Maybe because he believed that Chizik was going to get the job done and he wanted to head off other schools from going after him when he did have some success. I know that we all despise Chizik now, but we don't know all the details to why JP was working on an extension. Who's to say that Chizik wouldn't have Herman and a top shelf DC working for him right now if Auburn wouldn't have come into the picture? I know that I'd be excited with that. Not to mention, I went to multiple spring practices and I've seen the talent in the 2009 recruiting class. A few more classes like that and we'd be in pretty good shape. An OC like Herman would alleviate the playcalling and clock management issues. And a DC that had a similar philosophy to Chizik's would have turned the D around quick.

That being said, I believe that we're in better shape now because we have just as good of a staff with a HC that won't bolt when he sees success. The main question is if he can recruit as well as Chizik could.

Pollard has made the best decisions possible for ISU AT THAT TIME. And, he's the one AD we've had with the balls to say that we CAN be better and his actions have proven it. No more of the "woe is me" just making due like BVDV did. The guy loves ISU and is working his tail off for our university. I think a lot of you have been listening too much to the hoks...they hate him, which can't be a bad thing.

LeBron

Nov 12, 2008
The main question is if he can recruit as well as Chizik could.
:confused:Both Chizik's recruiting classes were ranked last in the Big 12 in most sources. Rhoads won't have much problem recruiting as "well" as Chizik did.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Frak- I might believe what you're saying about Chiz if I hadn't actually seen him coach. If he's a great defensive coach why did he allow our D to circle the drain as the year went on, and become one of the worst defenses we've ever had. What about the horrible game day organization and clock management? And the call on the last play of the Colorado game should have been enough to get him canned, but JP offers him an extension. Makes me think JP hasn't got a clue about football, or basketball either since he fired a coach that did a whole lot better than the one he hired.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
:confused:Both Chizik's recruiting classes were ranked last in the Big 12 in most sources. Rhoads won't have much problem recruiting as "well" as Chizik did.
You're making the mistake of using a "relative" ranking to measure an "absolute" value of talent. Chiziks last class, wherever it was ranked, was better than any I saw McCarney reel in.

Or Walden. Or...probably, Criner (Sims and Robertson were among some good players). Maybe even most of Duncan's classes. But I'll stop at the Class of '78, Karl Nelson's class that Earle Bruce brought in--that was a damn good class.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Frak- I might believe what you're saying about Chiz if I hadn't actually seen him coach. If he's a great defensive coach why did he allow our D to circle the drain as the year went on, and become one of the worst defenses we've ever had. What about the horrible game day organization and clock management? And the call on the last play of the Colorado game should have been enough to get him canned, but JP offers him an extension. Makes me think JP hasn't got a clue about football, or basketball either since he fired a coach that did a whole lot better than the one he hired.

Chizik wasn't in charge of calling the plays or getting the plays to the QB. McFarland had been demoted and that problem was being fixed. Chizik's biggest problem was hiring a DC in Bolt with a different philosophy than he had. That problem was being fixed too. I don't think that Chizik was the best coach ever by any means, I just choose to believe that he would have gotten it turned around. The problem is that we all know now that he would have bolted the second that happened. But an extension helps prevent that more than hinders it.

As for WM, I think that his players' on court demeanor and his lack of a job in MBB now speaks volumes for how good of a coach he is.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
... if you don't want Pollard as the AD... you HAVE to explain what you would do after getting rid of him?

Who would you go and hire to replace him that would be so much better... and would want to be the AD of ISU?

Who would I hire? ANYONE.

Anyone that is who would agree not to fire the football coach within the first three seasons of his being AD unless there was an exceptionally good reason.
Anyone who would bring ISU basketball back to the level it was when Johnny Orr left, or when Tim Floyd left to coach the NBA, or when Larry Eustachy took over the program, or when Wayne Morgan and team went to the NIT final four and then the NCAAs the next season (rough as it was).
Anyone who would do anything he could to keep an excellent wrestler as the head wrestling coach for a few more years unless he proved to be a better wrestler than coach (which I suppose you could already argue for).

Pollard's record speaks for itself. That he hired a much liked former ISU assistant speaks much for the pressure put on him by the alumni. That he wasn't able to make good on keeping Cael as wrestling the coach is also telling. We will see what this fall brings for our program.

When they gave him this contract extension and backhand at no pay raise, I hope they also wrote in some language that would allow ISU to get out of the contract without paying the king's ranson until 2014.

CC
ISU Alum 1991

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The only person upset about the scheduling issue was JP

The scheduling issue was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

There were a lot of things that went on behind the scenes in practices, during shootarounds and on game day. That's what piled up against Wayne.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Totally, 100% disagree. Recruiting rankings are BS. Otherwise, how would KU have ever done any better than 4th in the North? Until they have success on the field, none of the "analysts" give schools like ISU, KU, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Baylor any credit for their recruits. I've seen the 2009 class in multiple practices and there is a ton of talent there. LJ, Maggitt, Tiller, Schwartz, Laing, Benton, Burris, Banks, Haughton, Bo Williams, Ruempolhamer, even Hicks, McDonough, Range, Hammerschmidt...a lot of those guys are going to be flat out difference makers. Sure, there were some misses, but overall, that class is better than any that Mac brought in.

CPR will recruit Iowa better, that's for sure. I'm just hoping that he does as good a job of spotting talent.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Who would I hire? ANYONE.

Anyone that is who would agree not to fire the football coach within the first three seasons of his being AD unless there was an exceptionally good reason.
Anyone who would bring ISU basketball back to the level it was when Johnny Orr left, or when Tim Floyd left to coach the NBA, or when Larry Eustachy took over the program, or when Wayne Morgan and team went to the NIT final four and then the NCAAs the next season (rough as it was).
Anyone who would do anything he could to keep an excellent wrestler as the head wrestling coach for a few more years unless he proved to be a better wrestler than coach (which I suppose you could already argue for).

Pollard's record speaks for itself. That he hired a much liked former ISU assistant speaks much for the pressure put on him by the alumni. That he wasn't able to make good on keeping Cael as wrestling the coach is also telling. We will see what this fall brings for our program.

When they gave him this contract extension and backhand at no pay raise, I hope they also wrote in some language that would allow ISU to get out of the contract without paying the king's ranson until 2014.

CC
ISU Alum 1991

That's just stupid. Anyone? JP is a better AD than ISU has had since Gene Smith. And Smith left ISU in the red so far that BVDV had to cut baseball. Besides, every AD that is hired wants to bring in his own coaches and will fire a FB or MBB coach at the first opportunity. And unless you forgot what was happening back then, Mac had it coming. He had lost almost all support from the fans and his lack of recruiting is still haunting us today.

BTW, NO ONE is getting raises at ISU these days. I don't consider that back handed at all.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron