Friday Afternoon Cael Sanderson Rumor Update

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Penn State is NOT committed to WRESTLING like we are here in the Midwest. Go to Penn States website and TRY to find wrestling mentioned. It is a afterthought. ISU lives the sport. Its part of our fibre. Hell, our women could take down men from other states and show them a bar-arm series.

While I appreciate Cael, IMO, He needs ISU as bad as we need him. IF he went to PSU and a decent Coach came here...... We'll beat his a$$ because ultimately its ingrained in our everyday lives. We wrestle here. Iowans are tough. When I was in school (graduated with Gable) our high-school wrestlers were as good as anyones including PA! They have more for sure, but our best was as good as any. They out East while good don't live the sport like we do here. Whatever happens happens, But ISU will always be here and ready to go takedowns with anyone-anytime.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Penn State is NOT committed to WRESTLING like we are here in the Midwest. Go to Penn States website and TRY to find wrestling mentioned. It is a afterthought. ISU lives the sport. Its part of our fibre. Hell, our women could take down men from other states and show them a bar-arm series.

While I appreciate Cael, IMO, He needs ISU as bad as we need him. IF he went to PSU and a decent Coach came here...... We'll beat his a$$ because ultimately its ingrained in our everyday lives. We wrestle here. Iowans are tough. When I was in school (graduated with Gable) our high-school wrestlers were as good as anyones including PA! They have more for sure, but our best was as good as any. They out East while good don't live the sport like we do here. Whatever happens happens, But ISU will always be here and ready to go takedowns with anyone-anytime.

I don't understand your argument. PSU gets pretty high attendance for wrestling.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
brains.jpg

"Bring me brains....err...Cael. Commmeee to Pennn Staate."

CycloneJoe

Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
You dont just listen to offers publically like this.

He is either showing his youth and poor decision making skills or he is seriously interested.

This kind of stuff will kill you in recruiting.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
No reason we don't match that type of offer. If we lose him because we can't come up with $50,000 per year... shame on ISU. I sure hope JP is knocking on Cael's door letting him know that we can match that offer.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny

He is either showing his youth and poor decision making skills or he is seriously interested.

I disagree to an extent. I think listening to offers like that publicly helps him personally and the sport as a whole.

This may be looking way to in depth at it, but as the highest paid, highly coveted coach in the nation the only way he can probably get a raise is if ISU fans and donors know he has offers elsewhere that would earn him more. I just don't think at ISU JP could give him a raise without the fanbase seeing that even paying him the nations highest salary might not be enough to retain him. By taking the public interview it puts him in a better position for contract negotiation, and in turn draws more attention to the prestige of the sport because Athletic Departments are willing to pay more for high caliber coaches in a sport that is frankly second tier on a national perspective. He is the guy moving up the salary for the best coaches in the nation if he can get a raise. I'm guessing the prestige of the sport isn't so much a concern of his, but I definitely think from a personal standpoint in his position the best way to get a raise is to have a higher offer, even if he turns it down. And the fanbase has to see that offer to know they can't take his retention for granted because he graduated here and is the highest paid coach in the nation.

It may hurt recruiting, but if Cael can't explain to a recruit that he's the best Collegiate wrestler in history and although he took an interview he intends to be around to coach a national title contender team, he isn't going to be that successful recruiting anyway.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007

I would agree with this. The quotes from the Daily article sound as if the wrestlers were in the dark. There's going to be some backlash from this, either team trust or recruiting.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The longer this drags out the more I don't like this. It makes me wonder if they're just adding little things to the contract or fixing intricacies. :no::no:

If he turned it down, you'd think he'd come right out and say, "I've passed on the offer and remain committed to Iowa State University blah blah blah."

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Friday Afternoon Cael Sanderson Rumor Update

I have confirmed that Cael did indeed travel to Penn State's campus to interview for the opening and he was also invited to check out the facilities. Cael returned back to Ames and is rumored to have been considering the offer.

I have heard that the actual dollar figures being offered are much lower than the wild assumptions being thrown around. I would guess the real numbers are closer to the $150K to 200K range - far different than the claims of up to 500K by some.

At this moment, rumors are that Cael has talked with colleagues and friends and is leaning towards staying in Ames - if not already decided 100% to stay. This could of course change if he decides otherwise but nobody knows that but him.

Also, I've been told that Cael is somebody that will usually at least listen to offers, even if he doesn't plan on making a move - just out of respect and as most typically do. If that is true, we need to remember this so there aren't so many jumpers next year and onward.

Are you kidding? We are just a bunch of jumpers looking for a ledge.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
The longer this drags out the more I don't like this. It makes me wonder if they're just adding little things to the contract or fixing intricacies. :no::no:

If he turned it down, you'd think he'd come right out and say, "I've passed on the offer and remain committed to Iowa State University blah blah blah."

He probably doesn't want to repeat a chiz and say something like that only a day prematurely before deciding on it and then becoming unreachable by the Athletic Dept for some inexplicable reason. He still may be deciding one way or another.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
I just don't think at ISU JP could give him a raise without the fanbase seeing that even paying him the nations highest salary might not be enough to retain him.

Why not. GMac got a contract extension under the table and it sounds like Chizik did before he left too. Fennelly had his contract re-worked without all the hoopla either.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
To show just how much this impacts the team and program - one wrestler just texted me that he heard Cael was already out of town and taking the job.

Some wrestlers have heard he's staying, at least one has heard he's leaving - anybody is just guessing at this point.

Help Support Us

Become a patron