Cyclones.com (Wide Receivers Drills)

EJ 4 STATE

Jan 16, 2008
Lenexa, Kansas
Idon't know if anyone really spent too much time watching the drills today but there were some very impressive things.

1. Wallace Franklin...
He in the first 15 seconds was the outside WR and did a very good job of blocking Banks. Then around second 38 or so, he was the receiver (first clip with multiple blockers and defenders) to catch, and lit the afterburners (Very impressive)

2. Marquis Hamiliton..
"Big Body" looks to be a HUGE weapon in the outside WR position. He looked and blocked like a TE against our corners.

The most impressive thing that I noticed was the return of what the coaching staff has been investing so much time this spring; fundamentals. I can't remember too many times last year that I saw our WR's locking up the defense and driving the defense agressively towards our endzone. I think that "being physical" was the theme last year; problem was our guys didn't know how to do the basics to be physical.

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
It's funny you should mention Wallace. I too was impressed with what I've seen of him this Spring. I hope to see him contribute on the field this year.

Also, what's the deal with Lonzie Range? Unless my memory deceives me, wasn't he one of our highest rated recruits last year? I have heard very little about him.

EJ 4 STATE

Jan 16, 2008
Lenexa, Kansas
I don't know about "highest rated" recruit. He only had three offers. He was only a 2 star out of school, (could have been a 3, but tore his ACL durring his senior year.)

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
I don't know about "highest rated" recruit. He only had three offers. He was only a 2 star out of school, (could have been a 3, but tore his ACL durring his senior year.)

I guess I was basing his rating off of ESPN. He was our third highest rated recruit. But he was behind Sed Johnson and Darks was never evaluated. But comparing their schools of interest, it doesn't surprise me he is behind them.

Big 12 College Football Recruiting 2008 - ESPN

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Is Lonzie Range #10 this year? If so, he had a sweet one handed grab over his shoulder in those highlights.

I too was impressed with Wallace Franklin. If he gets a couple good blocks on that WR screen... he will do a LOT of damage!

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Why is Franklin still around? i thought he had used up his eligibility? I guess he had 3 to play 2 or something. I think i remember hearing glowing remarks about Lonzie from Arnaud or someone on O about how he was a GREAT scout team wideout.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Franklin got a RS.

I don't know if I'd expect a lot out of Lonzie this year, but he should play and will be one of those guys that develops each year.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
IIRC, Range was Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year last fall. I think the gave him the RS in the fall because he wasn't fully recovered from the ACL tear, and I had lunch w/ him about a week ago and he had his fingers all wrapped up--said he tried to snag a ball on the first bounce and dislocated or broke his pinky I think.

Cylax51

Apr 8, 2009
Lisbon, IA
I am impressed with the info, but missing are Sed and Darius. I am very excited to see that we may have a 3rd and 4th threat, but everyone knows what our 1,2 punch will be. Also, any info on Carlson? I thought he was going to contribute last year

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I hate that stupid WR screen. Mostly because it always works against ISU but never works for them. It looks like they are trying to run a couple wrinkles off of it by letting the blocking wr slip out for the pass once in a while.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I hate that stupid WR screen. Mostly because it always works against ISU but never works for them. It looks like they are trying to run a couple wrinkles off of it by letting the blocking wr slip out for the pass once in a while.

I too noticed that. It seemed like opposing defenses never stayed home when we ran that WR screen, and we were never once smart enough to burn them on it.

Opposing defenses would always cheat up and jump that WR screen on us, and our other WRs had no chance at blocking the defenders. All it would take to make them stop cheating up on that play would be to burn them once by slipping one of those blocking WRs off on a fly pattern for a TD like I saw them do on those practice highlights.

For some reason I think Tom Herman is a little bit smarter than the last guy we had? Any defense that chooses to cheat on a play will pay for it somehow with Herman at the helm.

Kinda like all the blitzes that teams threw at us and we never could make them pay for it. If the opposing team's LBs are blitzing us, then wouldn't it make sense to have one of our TEs or WRs slip right into the spot vacated by those LBs on a quick slant for a big gain? Of course it would... but we never exposed that like we should have. I think that will change under Herman.

I think you can do things on defense to stop Herman's spread attack... but if you do... I think Herman has a plan B that he can go to that will exploit it.

Reactions: zach

cyentist

Oct 11, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I am impressed with the info, but missing are Sed and Darius. I am very excited to see that we may have a 3rd and 4th threat, but everyone knows what our 1,2 punch will be. Also, any info on Carlson? I thought he was going to contribute last year

Are most people forgetting about Bellamy? He was quite heralded and as a JUCO should be able to come in and contribute once he learns the offense. Of course none of us could forget about $$ either.:biggrin:

1-4 Threat: (No order) Sed. J., Darks, Bellamy, Reynolds
5-6 Franklin, Hamilton

You could also add D. Jennert at 6'6" 200

TE: Franklin, Catlett

That receiving core lineup gets me excited for the fall!!

Last edited:

mvclones

Apr 13, 2009
Bondurant, IA
I see us having two solid TE threats in Collin Franklin and Catlett. Collin Franklin looked good last year when thrown to. I can see him making some BIG plays this year! He's a big boy that'll be hard to bring down.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

We will have success running it because we will have them guessing what we will do.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
We have so many quality receivers it would be a good poll to see who everybody thinks will be the leading receiver this year.

Not to be negative, but I don't think we would have brought in 5 WR's in the recruting class (2 JUCOS) if the coaches thought we had a lot of quality WR's

BigTD

Sep 11, 2008
Not to be negative, but I don't think we would have brought in 5 WR's in the recruting class (2 JUCOS) if the coaches thought we had a lot of quality WR's

We're running the spread. We probably didn't have enough receivers period.