Did I miss something?

BEACHBUM

Oct 23, 2006
Des Moines
The news just said that the Hawkeyes are probaly going to be ranked 20th in the nation preseason. Not only that, but they are going to have 3 Nationally covered night games on Saturdays this year! :cool: I just find it hard to believe that the pre season ranking can be accurate with their strength of schedule. Does ISU have any games that are going to be televised yet for sure besides the rivalry game?

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
It's a bi-annual event. The Hawkeyes begin the season with lofty expectations, take their whipping in Ames, and begin their long descent into reality.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
They did look pretty impressive in their bowl game last year - hence the expectations for this season.

Like cloneaholic said, they will come in ranked as a top 25 and then get their *** whipped by ISU.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I still have yet to hear a logical argument from a Hawk on why I should expect them to be any good.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I can see Iowa beating UNI (sorry Panther fans), Arizona, Arkansas State, Michigan, Indiana, Northwestern, and Minnesota.

Toss up games as I see them are Iowa State and Penn State. Iowa seems to have Penn State's number for some reason.

I see them losing at Wisconsin, at Michigan State and at Ohio State. I put Wisconsin down here instead of the toss up games because the game is in Madison.

Iowa wins one of the toss up games, they are 8-4. If they win both the toss up games, they are 9-3. If they can come up with a win at Wisconsin, they are 10-2.

So, realistically, I can see why Iowa fans are getting jacked about the 2009 season.

I believe they will lose to Iowa State, so I think the best they can hope to finish is 9-3 and playing on New Year's Day again.

I would take that in a heart beat.

Reactions: Gordyo5

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I think they will have a pretty decent team this year BUT, would not be surprised if they went 8-4 or possibly 7-5 . The loss of King, Kroul and Greene are absolutely huge. They will, in no way, replace those guys. The heart of their defense are the DT's and their RB's combined will not put up Greene's numbers this year.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
I still have yet to hear a logical argument from a Hawk on why I should expect them to be any good.

Iowa returns the most experienced OL of the Ferentz era (even more experience than the 02 OL on the 09 OL), the return a Jr. starting QB who improved throughout the entirety of last season, a RB that averaged over 5 YPC in 09, and a defense that lost only 3 starters (a defense that led the Big Ten in takeaways and gave up the 2nd fewest TD's in the nation - behind only USC) and has been reported in spring practice, by Norm Parker himself, to look as good as the 08 D if not better. After the way Iowa finished the season that probably warrants a top 25 ranking (though they will actually EARN it on the field in 09), and honestly, if these guys bust their butts off in practice to improve throughout the offseason they could end up being the best Iowa team since 02.

I'm certainly not calling for a national title or anything, but I think this Iowa team is very capable of 10-2 - and because of their veteran OL and returning QB experience I think their O will start out hotter than most Iowa offenses typically do, and their defense is always solid.

Reactions: cyingreen

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Iowa returns the most experienced OL of the Ferentz era (even more experience than the 02 OL on the 09 OL), the return a Jr. starting QB who improved throughout the entirety of last season, a RB that averaged over 5 YPC in 09, and a defense that lost only 3 starters (a defense that led the Big Ten in takeaways and gave up the 2nd fewest TD's in the nation - behind only USC) and has been reported in spring practice, by Norm Parker himself, to look as good as the 08 D if not better. After the way Iowa finished the season that probably warrants a top 25 ranking (though they will actually EARN it on the field in 09), and honestly, if these guys bust their butts off in practice to improve throughout the offseason they could end up being the best Iowa team since 02.

I'm certainly not calling for a national title or anything, but I think this Iowa team is very capable of 10-2 - and because of their veteran OL and returning QB experience I think their O will start out hotter than most Iowa offenses typically do, and their defense is always solid.

Of course there's no national title this year. We'll take care of that problem for you in Ames:yes::yes:

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008

You mean like the logical arugment last summer when Hawk fans were saying Greene was going to be good and you along with almost everyone else didn't seem to listen.

They do have a brutal road schedule but look at their home schedule,
UNI
Arizona
Arkansas St
Michigan
Northwestern
Minnesota
Indiana

That right there should be 7 wins, could be only 5 as well. Michigan will be better but they aren't the Michigan of old yet. I like Iowa's chances in this at Kinnick being the primetime game on ESPN/ABC.

Road schedule
ISU
PSU
OSU
Wisconsin
Michigan St

Now go just 1-4 with this and win all home games is 8-4, or manage to go 2-3 and you have a 9-3 season. In 3 of these road games I would give them a 50/50 chance of winning so winning 2 of the 5 shouldn't seem like a big stretch.

One last thing, their D will be good again and will keep them in every game like last year as well.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
...has been reported in spring practice, by Norm Parker himself, to look as good as the 08 D if not better.

Weren't you the same guy who said Norm never uses 'coachspeak' and only says the D is going to be better when he means it...even though he's said it 3 years running?

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
You mean like the logical arugment last summer when Hawk fans were saying Greene was going to be good and you along with almost everyone else didn't seem to listen.

Yeah, I love that one. Last pre-season, Shonn was 300+ pounds and wouldn't crack the ISU 5-deeps but now that he's gone, Iowa's going to be horrible. :biglaugh:

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008

How about a logical argument from a Clone fan? ...

I can see Iowa beating UNI (sorry Panther fans), Arizona, Arkansas State, Michigan, Indiana, Northwestern, and Minnesota.

Toss up games as I see them are Iowa State and Penn State. Iowa seems to have Penn State's number for some reason.

I see them losing at Wisconsin, at Michigan State and at Ohio State. I put Wisconsin down here instead of the toss up games because the game is in Madison.

Iowa wins one of the toss up games, they are 8-4. If they win both the toss up games, they are 9-3. If they can come up with a win at Wisconsin, they are 10-2.

So, realistically, I can see why Iowa fans are getting jacked about the 2009 season.

I believe they will lose to Iowa State, so I think the best they can hope to finish is 9-3 and playing on New Year's Day again.

I would take that in a heart beat.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Weren't you the same guy who said Norm never uses 'coachspeak' and only says the D is going to be better when he means it...even though he's said it 3 years running?

Has he been correct the last three seasons? I'd say 07 was better than 06, 08 better than 07, and I expect that 09 will be equal to or better than 08. I didn't hear him heaping that kind of praise on his 05/06 D's, which were arguably the worst since 02 and had glaring holes to fill. If you follow Iowa football you know Norm is a pretty reserved guy with how he speaks about his defensive units, maybe he'll give a player praise, but he's rarely wrong about his prognosis pf his defenses.

By the way, since when has Iowa had a bad defense? Really they haven't, 05/06 were average in my opinion, outside of those two seasons the D has been good to spectacular in every season.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire

Iowa has had a backup average 5 YPC in each of the last 3 years. I'll believe you have a running game when I see it.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Iowa has had a backup average 5 YPC in each of the last 3 years. I'll believe you have a running game when I see it.

I'd like you to tell me who Iowa had on their roster in August of 08 that averaged over 5 YPC in the 2007 season.......I'll give you a hint, the answer is NOBODY. That probably explained why most people believed that Iowa wouldn't have a running game, but of course they did (even after all the jokes that ridiculed Greene for being overweight).

You're probably right though, Iowa will have a terrible running game with potentially one of the best OL's in the Ferentz era. :confused:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I hate being the Debbie Downer here.

But why are we a tossup with iowa?

I hate the hawks - HATE THEM! Particularly the fb version. But they have a ton returning and an established program. We have a new coach, new system, a defense that couldn't stop a kindergarden game of "Red Rover" last year.

Sorry, but if that spread is in the low teens, I'll be surprised.

Then again, 23-3 rings pretty loud. :jimlad:

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
If you follow Iowa football you know Norm is a pretty reserved guy with how he speaks about his defensive units...

For claiming to follow Iowa football.. you don't know much about Iowa football. Norm Parker..reserved?! Almost every year he predicts his defense to be better than last year, hell, just a few days ago he said Amari Spievey could be Iowa's best CB, EVER!

If you follow Iowa football you know Norm likes to talk, and you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron