Did I miss something?

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
...Norm is a pretty reserved guy with how he speaks about his defensive units...

NORM PARKER said:
I think Spievey can be as good as anybody that we've ever had at corner.

Yeah, real reserved right there Norm. Again, as I said earlier, Norm likes to talk and you can't ever take him too seriously.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Iowa sustains any loss along the OL it will not be good as depth is one thing Iowas line does not have this year as compared to last year.....

Wrong, the 09 Iowa line is one of the deepest in the Ferentz era, and though it may not be deeper than the 08 line, it probably has more depth than any other line Ferentz has coached (especially at OG). Plus those guys that provided depth last season will grow and improve in the offseason to become veteran starters. Look back at the best Iowa OL's, talent tends to be less important than experience, and experience is something that th 09 OL has plenty of. The projected starters after spring will likely look like this:

LT - Bulaga (Jr.)/Reiff (RS FR)
LG - Vandervelde (Jr.)/Richardson(SR.)/Haganman(JR.)
C - Eubanks (Sr.)/Koeppel(Jr.)
RG - The winner of this competition - Doering (SR.)/Kuempal (SR.)/Gettis (SO)
RT - Calloway (SR.)/Zusevics (SO)

The only place where our depth would be in question is at T (and that was the same last season), our OG and C positions are very solid throughout the 2 deeps and competition will push each starter to perform at their very best. The only position that concerns me on the OL is C, if Eubanks/Koeppel can step up and play that position soundly this will be a fantastic OL.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
2004. Iowa's leading rusher finished with 400 something yards I believe? I'm too lazy right now to look it up, but nobody came even close to the 1,000 mark plateau.

That was the Drew Tate season.

The runningback was Hawkeye legend, Sam Brownlee. By the time Iowa got to him on the depth chart, they had pretty much given up on running the ball and just let Tate take control.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Wrong, the 09 Iowa line is one of the deepest in the Ferentz era, and though it may not be deeper than the 08 line, it probably has more depth than any other line Ferentz has coached (especially at OG). Plus those guys that provided depth last season will grow and improve in the offseason to become veteran starters. Look back at the best Iowa OL's, talent tends to be less important than experience, and experience is something that th 09 OL has plenty of. The projected starters after spring will likely look like this:

LT - Bulaga (Jr.)/Reiff (RS FR)
LG - Vandervelde (Jr.)/Richardson(SR.)/Haganman(JR.)
C - Eubanks (Sr.)/Koeppel(Jr.)
RG - The winner of this competition - Doering (SR.)/Kuempal (SR.)/Gettis (SO)
RT - Calloway (SR.)/Zusevics (SO)

The only place where our depth would be in question is at T (and that was the same last season), our OG and C positions are very solid throughout the 2 deeps and competition will push each starter to perform at their very best. The only position that concerns me on the OL is C, if Eubanks/Koeppel can step up and play that position soundly this will be a fantastic OL.

Iowa is VERY deep at OL. But it remains to be seen if they have a C/G combo that can play near the level of Bruggeman/Olsen. Quantity does not equal quality.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Yeah, real reserved right there Norm. Again, as I said earlier, Norm likes to talk and you can't ever take him too seriously.

Way to avoid your error.....anyway, Norm is one of the best defensive coordinators in the nation and my basic point was I have NO worries about our 09 defense.

I am far more worried about Stanzi's development and our WR's, which of course aren't being helped out by your boy DJK missing team meetings and workout sessions. Personally I hope DJK sits throughout 09 if he doesn't pull his head out of his butt, it is exactly the kind of attitude that he seems to be showing this spring that ruined the 06 and 07 seasons, and I don't want to see that get back into this team.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Way to avoid your error.....anyway, Norm is one of the best defensive coordinators in the nation and my basic point was I have NO worries about our 09 defense.

I am far more worried about Stanzi's development and our WR's, which of course aren't being helped out by your boy DJK missing team meetings and workout sessions. Personally I hope DJK sits throughout 09 if he doesn't pull his head out of his butt, it is exactly the kind of attitude that he seems to be showing this spring that ruined the 06 and 07 seasons, and I don't want to see that get back into this team.

Yeah, there's a great idea, let's have our leading receiver and Stanzi's favorite target sit out the season. Brilliant!

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
2004. Iowa's leading rusher finished with 400 something yards I believe? I'm too lazy right now to look it up, but nobody came even close to the 1,000 mark plateau.

That was the Drew Tate season.

I looked up Iowa's 2004 record -- 10-2 with NO RUNNING GAME.:eek:

Okay, so much for the Iowa love fest:wink:. I still can't wait until Rhoads and Co. kick Hawk butt Sept. 12

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I disagree 100%. A stellar line can make an average back look like an all-american. If you don't have the line, you won't have a running game OR passing game. Just look at the NFL, what other position can you plug in a no-name 6th rounder and turn him into a pro bowler? The offensive line is the chicken, the RB is the egg, and the chicken comes first.

"Can" is the optimum word there.

By your reasoning, every iowa back (in iowa's exceptional line years) should lead the conference, be in contention for AA honors, etc.

It doesn't matter. I don't think either of us is saying you can have one without the other. A great line can make a decent back look good, and a great back can excel in spite of an iffy line.

I'm not applying this arguement to QB's. I agree that it is near impossible for a QB to excel without at least adequate line play.

Last edited:

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
I don't give a flying **** who Stanzi's favorite target is, if DJK thinks he can just half *** his way through practice and keep his starting spot he doesn't deserve to see the field. DJK isn't a #1 WR as it is right now, the guy is wayyyy too inconsistent. DJK has shown flashes of greatness, but he'll never be more than a WR#2/Slot WR if he doesn't work hard to improve. We know how much the Iowa coaches like guys that work hard, McNutt has shown he is willing to do just that, and so has Stross with the way he has worked through his injuries, I wouldn't be surprised to see DJK start the season #3 on the depth chart if his attitude problems keep up.

Not to mention the fact that Iowa has an extremely talented freshmen coming in by the name of Keenan Davis - I expect that he will see the field in 09. To what capacity I don't know, but he definitely has the talent to see the field as a freshmen.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
"Can" is the optimum word there.

By your reasoning, every iowa back (in iowa's exceptional line years) should lead the conference, be in contention for AA honors, etc.

Answer me this, do you think Fred Russell's success was due to his talents/abilities or the 5 NFL bulldozers in front of him?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Answer me this, do you think Fred Russell's success was due to his talents/abilities or the 5 NFL bulldozers in front of him?

What happened when Russell went down, even thought they had those bulldozers?

And Russells stats I believe aren't as good as Greene's, and I readily admit that line was f'ing spectacular. Better than last years.

BTW - I edited my earlier post to more or less agree with some of your points.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I don't give a flying **** who Stanzi's favorite target is, if DJK thinks he can just half *** his way through practice and keep his starting spot he doesn't deserve to see the field. DJK isn't a #1 WR as it is right now, the guy is wayyyy too inconsistent. DJK has shown flashes of greatness, but he'll never be more than a WR#2/Slot WR if he doesn't work hard to improve. We know how much the Iowa coaches like guys that work hard, McNutt has shown he is willing to do just that, and so has Stross with the way he has worked through his injuries, I wouldn't be surprised to see DJK start the season #3 on the depth chart if his attitude problems keep up.

Not to mention the fact that Iowa has an extremely talented freshmen coming in by the name of Keenan Davis - I expect that he will see the field in 09. To what capacity I don't know, but he definitely has the talent to see the field as a freshmen.

I don't care what number is next to his name on the depth chart. If he's on the field, Stanzi will find him. Towards the end of the season Stanzi's safety blanket wasn't the TE anymore, it was DJK.

Wait, I can see it now...KOK to Stanzi, "Now I know DJK's wide open, but don't throw it to him, he doesn't work hard enough at practice."

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
What happened when Russell went down, even thought they had those bulldozers?

And Russells stats I believe aren't as good as Greene's, and I readily admit that line was f'ing spectacular. Better than last years.

BTW - I edited my earlier post to more or less agree with some of your points.

That was quite a few years ago, but I don't remember Russell ever being injured during the Orange Bowl season...? If he did go down...wasn't he replaced by Jermelle Lewis, who did really well too?

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
DJK -

You're missing the point entirely. If a player thinks they can "go through the motions" in practice and get away with it, other players start to think that is OK. Iowa has never had spectacular WR's and we can get by without DJK if his work ethic doesn't improve. A lack of work ethic and a sense of "entitlement" were credited with greatly diminished the success of the 06 and 07 squads, and the coaches won't take that kind of stuff lightly anymore. I agree with you that DJK is Stanzi's favorite WR, but if DJK doesn't realize how important it is that he needs to lead by example, I'm sure Stanzi understands as a team leader that he can develop chemistry with another WR#1, and from what I'm hearing from practice, Stanzi and McNutt have developed quite a connection.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Wait, I can see it now...KOK to Stanzi, "Now I know DJK's wide open, but don't throw it to him, he doesn't work hard enough at practice."

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Great comeback.

Like DaddyMac said, it's great that two Hawk fans are slugging it out on a Cyclone message board.:biggrin:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
That was quite a few years ago, but I don't remember Russell ever being injured during the Orange Bowl season...? If he did go down...wasn't he replaced by Jermelle Lewis, who did really well too?

Oh come on DJK, he went down in the ISU game. That's why you guys lost, remember? God knows that's all I heard the remainder of the year.

:wink:

Lewis came in and as I recall, was rather non-descript in the 2nd half. For whatever reason - iowa just went away from the run game even though they still held the lead - even as ISU was mounting the comeback. That decision probably DID lose the game for them. They also brought in Greiving for a bit - and that's when ISU got the safety.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Oh come on DJK, he went down in the ISU game. That's why you guys lost, remember? God knows that's all I heard the remainder of the year.

Oh man, that was my freshman year at ISU. I was in Iowa City that night and by the second half, thought Iowa had the game locked up so I headed to the bar. I never have and never will watch the second half to that game.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
This year they might even get a Jan. 2 bowl game! Or Jan. 3! Hell, Jan. 10 isn't out of the question. Maybe even Feb. 1!

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Wait, I can see it now...KOK to Stanzi, "Now I know DJK's wide open, but don't throw it to him, he doesn't work hard enough at practice."[/QUOTE]

What are we talkin' 'bout? Practice? We talkin' practice...not the game...practice. I mean, what are we talkin' 'bout? Practice? I know its funny, its funny to me too but we talkin' 'bout practice...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron