Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Crazy Drake and Iowa State may play in NCAA but I think Wazzu's size could be big problem for the Bulldogs.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Is Iowa jacked to play? I'm not sure that's a given. If you believe the rumors, Fran is looking for an escape route, or is at least entertaining the idea. And I have a hard time believing that any power 5 team, especially one coming off a run of successive NCAA tournament appearances is going to be all that hyped to play in the also-ran tournament.
It will be telling where the program is at based on how they come to play tonight IMO. If they are lethargic and slow, not running up and down the court looking to put up 80 like they normally are, something is definitely afoul in the program.

Think of all the unconfirmed speculation going on:

• Fran looking for greener pastures
  • Freeman getting NIL offers to play elsewhere
  • Perkins looking for greener pastures
  • Pat foregoing his covid year or looking for greener pastures
  • Bowen looking for greener pastures
  • Riley Mulvey has improved a lot during his red shirt junior season
If they come out flat, a lot of the above may be true. If they come out hot, Fran is likely in Iowa City for at least one more season, and a lot of the above is probably not true. It seems to me if the program culture was really that toxic, they'd have declined the NIT invitation like so many others did.

Last edited:

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I agree, I think those of us ISU fans lamenting a potential Drake/ISU 2nd round matchup probably don't need to. Washington State will likely be ISU's 2nd round opponent IMO.
I have not seen wazzu for the record but their starters size is eye opening. Drake is pretty small 1-4.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It will be telling where the program is at based on how they come to play tonight IMO. If they are lethargic and slow, not running up and down the court looking to put up 80 like they normally are, something is definitely afoul in the program.

Think of all the unconfirmed speculation going on:

• Fran looking for greener pastures
  • Freeman getting NIL offers to play elsewhere
  • Perkins looking for greener pastures
  • Pat foregoing his covid year or looking for greener pastures
  • Bowen looking for greener pastures
  • Riley Mulvey has improved a lot during his covid junior season
If they come out flat, a lot of the above may be true. If they come out hot, Fran is likely in Iowa City for at least one more season, and a lot of the above is probably not true. It seems to me if the program culture was really that toxic, they'd have declined the NIT invitation like so many others did.
Freeman is 100% getting offers. He's too good not to. From who, how much, and his interest level are anybody's guess.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Iowa's trend to score a bunch at the end of decided games in order to make the loss not look as bad fits really nicely with a decision to go hard in the NIT. It's like an ethic over there.

It really is an uncanny talent they have for that.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Iowa's trend to score a bunch at the end of decided games in order to make the loss not look as bad fits really nicely with a decision to go hard in the NIT. It's like an ethic over there.
It never seems to bite them in the butt though. My thought would be why get someone hurt in a game that is over, but they leave CC in when they are up by 40 in women’s games too. And why not let the bench that practiced hard get some game minutes?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Iowa's going to be super jacked?
I think so. It's a chance to compete and win something, even if that something is the NIT. We joke about all those skinny kids, but they still are competitors and want to win. And I think Fran still has some esprit de corps with this group.

Whereas I think Tang & Co are dazed and confused. If Iowa comes out and takes a lead in the first half at all, KSU's guys will start auditioning for the transfer portal.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Acylum