Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah, I think we need to be rooting for Drake vs Wazzu.
correct. Speculation about Wazzu being much bigger, I would just caution that logic as being reason to think Drake doesn't stand a chance. We see teams go small ball and run circles around bigger teams all the time. The caveat would be are they big and ALSO athletic? Or are they just big, like an old school Big 10 team?

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think you could see a lot of zone against Wazzu by drake. They aren't a great outside shooting team. Make them beat you from 3.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Dustin Hogue shot the 3 at 43% his senior year. He's pretty much Steph Curry by those standards.
Gotta remember the NCAA men's 3 point line moved back 16" in 2019. So not really an apples to apples compare.

Looking at NCAA stats for this season Sanford's 37.5% is 12th best among P6 players. I would consider that elite.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyDude16

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Gotta remember the NCAA men's 3 point line moved back 16" in 2019. So not really an apples to apples compare.

Looking at NCAA stats for this season Sanford's 37.5% is 12th best among P6 players. I would consider that elite.
Not top 10, do not want.

• Haha
Reactions: isucy86

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009

So is Lipsey elite at 38%?

Reactions: CyDude16

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Samford is a very good three point shooter. I think his percentage would be better if didn't force some threes at times.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, I think we need to be rooting for Drake vs Wazzu.

Point taken, but I don’t enjoy playing this game when it comes to the NCAA.

It’s the classic “be careful what you wish for” event - seems like anytime fans get excited about an upset happening, or Team A beating Team B because they’d rather play Team A, or excited about their “good draw” it usually comes back to bite you.

• Agree
Reactions: WartburgClone

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
correct. Speculation about Wazzu being much bigger, I would just caution that logic as being reason to think Drake doesn't stand a chance. We see teams go small ball and run circles around bigger teams all the time. The caveat would be are they big and ALSO athletic? Or are they just big, like an old school Big 10 team?
ISU vs PU comes to mind.... not exactly your point ... but it popped up in my head.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So is Lipsey elite at 38%?

His % is elite, but I wouldn't put him in the same class of 3 point shooters as a Sandfort/Cryer/Hinson or even Momcilivic/Curtis Jones based on # of 3's attempted. Sandfort attempted 225 3's while Lipsey was at 103.

For me it's not a valid compare. Sandfort's primary role is to take 3's. Lipsey's is to run the offense. If we are comparing like roles on offense- Sandfort's mirror on ISU is Momcilovic or Curtis Jones.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Point taken, but I don’t enjoy playing this game when it comes to the NCAA.

It’s the classic “be careful what you wish for” event - seems like anytime fans get excited about an upset happening, or Team A beating Team B because they’d rather play Team A, or excited about their “good draw” it usually comes back to bite you.
True. We're all worried about UConn and BYU, watch them lose before we get there...

But I still think ISU's biggest challenge is size/length inside though. We like to score in the paint and when we can't, the whole offense goes a bit pear shaped.

A tired and smaller Drake is going to struggle vs our defense, and we will be able to score inside.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
True. We're all worried about UConn and BYU, watch them lose before we get there...

But I still think ISU's biggest challenge is size/length inside though. We like to score in the paint and when we can't, the whole offense goes a bit pear shaped.

A tired and smaller Drake is going to struggle vs our defense, and we will be able to score inside.

I also think our pressure defense would give the Drake guards fits.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Holy sh!t there a A LOT of tickets available for the game tonight. Woof.