Should Iowa Move On from Mad Fran?

SHOULD Iowa fire Fran at the end of this season?

• Yes, he's scuttled the program

Votes: 59 24.4%
  • No, he's earned another shot

Votes: 166 68.6%
  • See results

Votes: 17 7.0%

• Total voters

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Unironically you could do a hell of a lot worse than McCaffery. I can see the case of saying things have plateaued and you want to aim a little higher but there are far worse results competitive teams with NCAA tournament chances most years.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Winner.
No, he's fantastic. A legend. You cannot get rid of a legend.
Case closed, end discussion. Man deserves another and another and another shot. Sweet molasses, get that guy a lifetime contract. I love his enthusiasm on the court each game and I am always ready for that chair toss, LETS GOOOOOO FRAAAAANNNN!!!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Unironically you could do a hell of a lot worse than McCaffery. I can see the case of saying things have plateaued and you want to aim a little higher but there are far worse results competitive teams with NCAA tournament chances most years.

It's an interesting debate. Garza and Keegan Murray, and to a lesser extent Kris, were two great college basketball players. On some level, he deserves credit for finding these guys that were pretty lightly recruited, and for developing them. On the other hand, you are seeing this year what happens when you don't have an AA to bail you out. They are horrible. You also realize how Fran's style, coaching and full roster management held them back having had a several year long run of having an AA star player.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Heard he and Goetz had a meeting under the IC West Bleachers the other night trying to come up with an extension. He would work for minimum wage as he told Goetz he had another "can't miss" Championship Video Package where he would make up his salary. Barta was there as his agent.
This brings back memories of high school. Getting an "extension" under the bleachers was risky and fun!

• Haha
Reactions: cycloner29

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
He's not owed the full buyout if they fire him. 60 percent I believe. I think the buyout is something near 8Million.
That's kind of a stupid buyout, I guess it only helps prevent him from leaving for another job, but very one sided. Iowa will have plenty of money being in the B1G that they could make a move if they wanted to, but I think they genuinely know that they will never pull in a consistent crowd of 9,000+. Even with the best of times, they've trended downward for a long time. Even having All-American players in Garza and Murray couldn't give them a minor chubby.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoHawks

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
That's kind of a stupid buyout, I guess it only helps prevent him from leaving for another job, but very one sided. Iowa will have plenty of money being in the B1G that they could make a move if they wanted to, but I think they genuinely know that they will never pull in a consistent crowd of 9,000+. Even with the best of times, they've trended downward for a long time.
I don't think money is a valid excuse or reason not to either. I just don't think this is a good era for Fran. He was already a bad recruiter but now throw in a transfer portal that he's missing on and I think it's best if Iowa goes another direction. Could certainly hire someone worse than Fran though so there's some risk.

Depends how good the team is as far as attendance. Iowa basketball is much more fair weather than other sports. Probably not only school in that regard. I think they'd have to be a top 15 type team to see consistent 12-15k seats filled

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
The young talent they have at Iowa is guys that dreamed of playing at Iowa, so I don't expect Iowa to lose much. The problem is their lack of success at transfers. As I said, if Iowa can get 1-2 solid transfers they could compete at high level in the Big10.
Just curious. Where do you see young talent on Iowa?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Yup exactly why they should keep him lol

Reactions: OrangeCarrot

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Without Fran though, pasty, nerdy, fugly virgin white kids will have no place to play basketball anymore. I say stay.

I didn't play basketball in HS, but I think I would've had a shot at a scholarship if Fran was the Iowa HC when I was. Also, this hits close to home.

BCWAngus

Aug 27, 2022
There should be another voting option.

No, Iowa should not fire him because as a Cyclone fan I don't want a good coach at Iowa.
Also, I don't want Drake to lose DeVries. It would be great if they turned into second best team in the state.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There should be another voting option.

No, Iowa should not fire him because as a Cyclone fan I don't want a good coach at Iowa.
Also, I don't want Drake to lose DeVries. It would be great if they turned into second best team in the state.

At least having a good coach at Iowa wouldn't fee so annoying when Iowa won the Cyhawk bball game.

Recruiting might take a hit (no idea how much they compete for recruits) but Fran's been getting most of the in-state kids anyway and TJ's got a head start on the inner workings of that.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Just curious. Where do you see young talent on Iowa?
Harding-Fr'
Freeman-Fr
Dix(verdict still out)-SO
P Sandfor(FR)

Freeman is the star out of all of them and will only get better from year 1 to year 2. That core could be solid going forward.

• Haha
Reactions: Mads4st8

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Harding-Fr'
Freeman-Fr
Dix(verdict still out)-SO
P Sandfor(FR)

Freeman is the star out of all of them and will only get better from year 1 to year 2. That core could be solid going forward.
Freeman is the only one worth a crap

Reactions: exCYtable