Should Iowa Move On from Mad Fran?

SHOULD Iowa fire Fran at the end of this season?

• Yes, he's scuttled the program

Votes: 59 24.4%
  • No, he's earned another shot

Votes: 166 68.6%
  • See results

Votes: 17 7.0%

• Total voters

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Doesn't he have a couple more of his kids to play at Iowa yet? He can't leave until they show off their bounce pass talents to the next level.

• Funny
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
His new contract extension kicks in after the season and runs through 2027, the are paying him 3.3 million this season with a yearly increase of 100K, no clue what the buyout would be, but it has to be steep the first year or two of the extension. EIU also has a lot of money invested in their new wrestling room and redoing the morgue where they play. Mad Fran is going to get next season and the one after unless he pulls a Prohm and they just totally fall off the map for their new AD to can him and pay the buyout.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Fran will hang around at least one more year. His youngest is a junior so he needs to save up to put him through college.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Fran has wore out his welcome in IC, so I think most Hok fans are ready to move on.

On the flip side, I think he might have a decent team next year. The Big10 is down and will struggle next year, too. I think Iowa could compete in the conference and be tourney team. They have some solid young talent and with 1-2 transfers they might be contenders in the Big10

Iowa has been to 4 straight tourneys, not many teams can say that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
His new contract extension kicks in after the season and runs through 2027, the are paying him 3.3 million this season with a yearly increase of 100K, no clue what the buyout would be, but it has to be steep the first year or two of the extension. EIU also has a lot of money invested in their new wrestling room and redoing the morgue where they play. Mad Fran is going to get next season and the one after unless he pulls a Prohm and they just totally fall off the map for their new AD to can him and pay the buyout.
1-2 years ago their report showed 1/4 billion of debt on the books. They don’t mind going in the hole.

• Informative
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Serious question. Selection Sunday they play Illinois at home.
Will there be more Orange Krush vs Iowa fans at that one?
They will declare a covid emergency and lock the doors to keep them out.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
In all seriousness which OSU? I haven't heard this rumor
Ohio State. Nothing serious, he's just being mentioned by a bunch of national guys as an obvious candidate.. Obvious being he's a winning coach at a mid major. I think Creighton is a better job than OSU.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
1-2 years ago their report showed 1/4 billion of debt on the books. They don’t mind going in the hole.
During Covid they had to borrow money from the university to meet the debt schedule. I get the feeling as fast as the money is rolling in over there that it goes out just as fast. They somehow think that all this new TV money is going to solve all their problems, but at the rate they are spending it's going to take years for it to occur.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
How can you get rid of your all time winningest coach??? Anyone can recruit but Fran CREATES his own players. We've already seen the end of the Barta era, so it would be nice to keep Franny around for entertainment purposes.

Yeah, however Fran ran out of sons to go to Iowa. He'll have to hit the recruitment trail harder of the legacy players and tavernhawks.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Heard he and Goetz had a meeting under the IC West Bleachers the other night trying to come up with an extension. He would work for minimum wage as he told Goetz he had another "can't miss" Championship Video Package where he would make up his salary. Barta was there as his agent.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
In all seriousness which OSU? I haven't heard this rumor
The Athletic has an article up and they were saying that Mcdermit was one of the two best picks for the job, that Ohio State had gone after him before, and he is not getting along with his AD and might be willing to jump this time.
If that happens, I think Creighton goes after the Drake coach as his replacement, we was the asst. coach over there for a number of years.

That would be a crushing blow to EIU fans, they want the Drake coach to replace Mad Fran, but I am not sure that the timing and contract situation make it difficult to happen.

• Informative

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
During Covid they had to borrow money from the university to meet the debt schedule. I get the feeling as fast as the money is rolling in over there that it goes out just as fast. They somehow think that all this new TV money is going to solve all their problems, but at the rate they are spending it's going to take years for it to occur.
And now there are reports that the 12 team playoff won’t pay as much. Imagine that, ESPN talks about this large payout so the SEC and Big ten push it and then after it gets implemented, ESPN says, it won’t be that much.

• Haha

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
And now there are reports that the 12 team playoff won’t pay as much. Imagine that, ESPN talks about this large payout so the SEC and Big ten push it and then after it gets implemented, ESPN says, it won’t be that much.

At least we knew we were going to be on the smaller budget side of things. Wonder how ESPN is washing out the profits to decrease the pay out?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
At least we knew we were going to be on the smaller budget side of things. Wonder how ESPN is washing out the profits to decrease the pay out?
Ours were always based off media and current playoff payments. Although we did take a reduction for the new teams thinking the playoff would boost it. Although the PAC teams do solidify the conference some more. We couldn’t be at 12 and everyone was around 18.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
60% of remaining base pay is his buyout I believe. His yearly base pay would be quite a bit lower than the $3.3 million total compensation number which includes media obligations, brand endorsement, etc.