Should Iowa Move On from Mad Fran?

SHOULD Iowa fire Fran at the end of this season?

• Yes, he's scuttled the program

Votes: 59 24.4%
  • No, he's earned another shot

Votes: 166 68.6%
  • See results

Votes: 17 7.0%

• Total voters

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
4cb0925749544e1fcac9357f35143801_w200.gif
I loved Kramer on Seinfeld.

Reactions: Ellie1

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
How can you get rid of your all time winningest and losingest coach??? Anyone can recruit but Fran CREATES his own players. We've already seen the end of the Barta era, so it would be nice to keep Franny around for entertainment purposes.
Had to add that he owns the most losses to.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
All-time great for anybody that plays Iowa, you have to sign him to a lifetime contract at this point. Besides, I'm sure he has some more sons somewhere he can throw on the roster.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Honestly, it’d be a bad look to fire him for one down season after their recent history. Even if you can justify it.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I laugh when Fran and his media fanboys complain about free throw discrepancies.

Iowa usually shoots more than the other team because a third of Fran’s plays are just passes around the arc until there’s five seconds left on the shot clock, and whichever one of Iowa’s unathletic guards has the hot potato at that time drives and throws their body at a defender hoping for free throws. High comedy.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I think they need to give him an extension after passing Tom Davis

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I'm beyond sick of this conversation taking over otherwise valuable threads. Discuss it here instead.
Fran is likely to move on from Iowa and quietly seek another job for multiple reasons including son Jack. Most likely at a decent mid-major program out East and may also pursue the DePaul job.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If they fire him Lick comes back and Lil Lick uses his covid year at point guard. At least that’s how their fans have always operated.

Reactions: cycloner29

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
As an ISU fan, they should absolutely keep him- lifetime contract and bring Barta back too. LOFL.

From a purely professional and rational analysis standpoint, if I was Beth-
I would give him one more year. Not because he deserves it, really. But to reduce the buyout, and because he DID go to the tournament 3 years in a row and 4 of 5. The optics of getting tossed for 1 terrible year are not great. So that is the "right" answer to me.

We like to bag on Iowa and Fran, because, of course we do. But they have had some decent to good players and teams. I don't think Fran is good at all really, the whole is less than the sum of the parts imho. But unless you truly think he is mailing it in completely (and only someone inside the AD would know that - I surely don't) I think you put up with it for one more year. If they are bottom half B1G again, then its time to move on.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Iowa should feel good about their prospects to turn around the fan apathy. The below should be inspiration for them.

Detroit Mercy picked up its first win of the college basketball season on Wednesday in a 81–66 win over IUPUI, improving to 1-26 on the year. The victory ends a 27-game losing streak, including 26 consecutive defeats during the 2023-24 season, and saw one fan overcome with joy.

After the final buzzer sounded on the Titans’ victory, one fan could be seen storming the court all by his lonesome.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Fran should stay. Now, if he has another 10 or 12 bad seasons in a row, then maybe his seat gets hot.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Ohio State. Nothing serious, he's just being mentioned by a bunch of national guys as an obvious candidate.. Obvious being he's a winning coach at a mid major. I think Creighton is a better job than OSU.
Creighton is not a better job than Ohio State. OSU has money just falling out of the sky and a rich tradition of success. It's the 7th largest state and flush with talent. Doesn't compete with in-state schools and OSU brand is recognized throughout the US. OSU is a f'ing machine and it's bigger than any pro sport team in Ohio, not even close.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Fran will hang around at least one more year. His youngest is a junior so he needs to save up to put him through college.
This. Unless his son goes to a prep school out east. If that happens, chance this is his last year.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Creighton is not a better job than Ohio State. OSU has money just falling out of the sky and a rich tradition of success. It's the 7th largest state and flush with talent. Doesn't compete with in-state schools and OSU brand is recognized throughout the US
Agree, but Creighton might be a better job for McD. Fit is a big deal.

Off topic, but OSU should go after someone young and hungry. Old and experienced isn't what they need to turn things around. IMHO.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
I wonder what program would actually hire Fran? The Francon Alert System isn't isolated to just his biggest fans. I've heard commentators reference it during games. If I were an AD, I certainly wouldn't hire him. I would assume Fran may put some feelers out and then retire after he leads Iowa to the promise land.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Fran has wore out his welcome in IC, so I think most Hok fans are ready to move on.

On the flip side, I think he might have a decent team next year. The Big10 is down and will struggle next year, too. I think Iowa could compete in the conference and be tourney team. They have some solid young talent and with 1-2 transfers they might be contenders in the Big10

Iowa has been to 4 straight tourneys, not many teams can say that.

It’s impossible in CBB to say who will struggle next year and who won’t. The transfer game can flip programs around immediately, plus there is already one big opening, Michigan could be next. A coaching change at a big school can have the same effect.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I wonder what program would actually hire Fran? The Francon Alert System isn't isolated to just his biggest fans. I've heard commentators reference it during games. If I were an AD, I certainly wouldn't hire him. I would assume Fran may put some feelers out and then retire after he leads Iowa to the promise land.
He would be an easy sell to fans/boosters given how many years he's made the tourney. Plus, you can always spin his anger problems as being passionate and fighting for his guys. He'll definitely land somewhere after his time at Iowa comes to an end.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Ohio State
Is that who tOSU is supposedly going after? I saw they canned Holtman but haven't followed the situation. I figured they must have someone in mind to move with a month left in the season.

Edit....I should have kept reading the thread.