Should Iowa Move On from Mad Fran?

SHOULD Iowa fire Fran at the end of this season?

• Yes, he's scuttled the program

Votes: 59 24.4%
  • No, he's earned another shot

Votes: 166 68.6%
  • See results

Votes: 17 7.0%

• Total voters

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
The best thing that has happened to the ISU program was the Hawkeye decision to can Tom Davis. It’s been a *h*t show ever since from George Raveling to the current level of mediocrity. The recruiting focuses on in-state wannabe life long Hawkeyes to legacy recruits. We should be hoping for an automatic roll over contract for Fran that then extends to his family members who he will have on staff to continue the McCaffrey regime.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The best thing that has happened to the ISU program was the Hawkeye decision to can Tom Davis. It’s been a *h*t show ever since from George Raveling to the current level of mediocrity. The recruiting focuses on in-state wannabe life long Hawkeyes to legacy recruits. We should be hoping for an automatic roll over contract for Fran that then extends to his family members who he will have on staff to continue the McCaffrey regime.
Wasn’t Davis after Raveling? If it’s been a sheetshow since, why would canning Davis be helpful?

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Wasn’t Davis after Raveling? If it’s been a sheetshow since, why would canning Davis be helpful?
I’m a Cyclone fan and don’t follow the Hawks or am obsessed with them which apparently some CFers are. Davis is the last Iowa coach who was successful, respected outside of IC and had a very good program. The reason canning Davis has been good for ISU is because they have been irrelevant since his firing and the ISU program has generally been much better. There is a connection. Another factor is our general athletic success under Pollard during his tenure.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m a Cyclone fan and don’t follow the Hawks or am obsessed with them which apparently some CFers are. Davis is the last Iowa coach who was successful, respected outside of IC and had a very good program. The reason canning Davis has been good for ISU is because they have been irrelevant since his firing and the ISU program has generally been much better. There is a connection. Another factor is our general athletic success under Pollard during his tenure.
I don’t think there is much of a connection. We still don’t pull Iowa kids and looking at Iowa, it doesn’t bother me. Also, the best Davis teams were with Ravelings recruits. Why I know he was before davis.

Reactions: OrangeCarrot

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
He needs to stay long enough to hand it off to one of his kids

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don’t think there is much of a connection. We still don’t pull Iowa kids and looking at Iowa, it doesn’t bother me. Also, the best Davis teams were with Ravelings recruits. Why I know he was before davis.
We don't pull marginal Iowa kids. But we've got the top Iowa kids from the '22 and '23 classes. That's not nothing.

Reactions: PaulH

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Just curious if that is a message for ADs out there that if they're interested, it wouldn't be a really short term thing? Not sure never terrible/never great is going to keep him at Iowa, and if he's going to move, he had better move soon or no one will be interested.
Might be a message to his own AD.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
Just curious if that is a message for ADs out there that if they're interested, it wouldn't be a really short term thing? Not sure never terrible/never great is going to keep him at Iowa, and if he's going to move, he had better move soon or no one will be interested.
He’d have to go mid major if he wanted to leave on his own.