Best Iowa State point guard

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
The offense would have been different with Tinsley. Hoiberg relied on 5 players that were kind of interchangeable on offense and all could shoot. Tinsley was not a great shooter but having him distribute to all those shooters would have been interesting.

Tinsley would have been getting to the rim at will in Hoiberg's offense, similar to Kane bullying his way into the paint. Can't sag off shooters so he would have been seeing a lot of iso/1v1.

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
With Tamin entering the ranks. I still think Tinsley is the best ever while at Iowa State. Haliburton will obviously be the all time best Cyclone. This Tinsley dribbling highlight is still one of the best ever plays at Iowa State

Can't believe not a single foul was called on that second clip. :oops:

Reactions: cyfanatic

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Tinsley may have also been the best defender. He certainly had a knack for getting steals and generally disrupting the other team's offense.
I used to love how Tinsley would let his guy by him just so he could block his shot from behind. I imagine it resulted in some rushed driving shots later.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The Tinsley couldn't shoot narrative is overplayed. He was bad his first year, but he shot 38% from 3 his second year and 32% for his career at ISU.
He did shoot better year 2 but it was a slow, awkward release. That being said, you are correct.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Morris almost never made a mistake; Tinsley took ridiculous chances but could absolutely take over a game. Haliburton was a more athletic/taller Morris. All great, but Tinsley was the most fun to watch because you never knew what absolutely impossible play he would make. 99-00 team still far and away the best team ISU has had and 00-01 was only slightly worse. Hopefully I'm forced to change my tune on that the next few years.

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
I'll never vote on this one, tho just did a JH pro Google search.
8 consecutive 3 pointers, 1994.
Same season - 11 consecutive 3 pointers.
67 consecutive free throws.
Kinda jaw-dropping, namely the latter.
If I recall right, he was a walk on.
Delivered pizza to him, regularly.
If the medium "free, fast and hot" pizza was $5.90 (with coupon), he'd toss me $6.00, tell me to keep the 10 cent change/tip.
Not much, but compared to you then, cheap ass mofo's, pretty big deal

• Haha
Reactions: NorthCyd

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
If we are talking body of work give me Morris.
He has three of the top seven single-season assist-to-turnover ratios that have been recorded by the NCAA and four of the top 12. It’s going to take a long time for a college player to break his career record

• Wow
Reactions: Cyclones8824

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'll never vote on this one, tho just did a JH pro Google search.
8 consecutive 3 pointers, 1994.
Same season - 11 consecutive 3 pointers.
67 consecutive free throws.
Kinda jaw-dropping, namely the latter.
If I recall right, he was a walk on.
Delivered pizza to him, regularly.
If the medium "free, fast and hot" pizza was $5.90 (with coupon), he'd toss me $6.00, tell me to keep the 10 cent change/tip.
Not much, but compared to you then, cheap ass mofo's, pretty big deal
Walk on in name only. In football terms he would be something like a greyshirt. Johnny found him when he had all of this scholarships full but Johnny still wanted him so he promised him a sophomore scholarship if Jeff walked on as a freshman. He was only a walk on because the scholarship wasn't available not because he was only a walk on level talent or just a walk on want for Johnny.

• Informative
Reactions: Pizzapitter

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
was it ill-advised? I mean, it was a wide open layup. A gimme. It just had a funny spin to it off of the backboard and rimmed out.
I get it, he was open, and missed it. Or he could have run clock and gotten fouled. He also wasn't the best FT shooter. So you never know. Funny how I can see the end of that game in my head ~ 23 years later.

Reactions: VeloClone

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Ill-advised?

What else was he supposed to do there?

That rolls in 99.5% of the time on that look and was about 1/2 cm the wrong way that one .5%.
It was early in the shot clock (if I remember correctly). I mean, it has been ~23 years. Whatever ... they were a fantastic team -- that's why that game hurt so bad.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It was early in the shot clock (if I remember correctly). I mean, it has been ~23 years. Whatever ... they were a fantastic team -- that's why that game hurt so bad.

I think you're referring to an ISU possession or two as the team that shall not be named made their come back in the last few minutes which is probably legit (I refuse to watch).

I'm referring to the full court layup as the clock wound down to zero.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Remember when Jeremiah Williams got injured before the beginning of the season and we all worried about Lipsey being thrown to the wolves at PG?

I think he came out of that one well.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Tinsley and Morris were great players but teams lost more than just Tinsley and Morris.

Can’t use one stat like that and ignore the other.

And using NBA talent for one team compared to the other as a reflection of overall talent is bad too. The G-League was in its infancy at that point. I’d be willing to bet almost none of the players who made it to the NBA on the team with Morris would have played a game in the NBA in the early 2000s the way it was structured.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Can’t use one stat like that and ignore the other.

And using NBA talent for one team compared to the other as a reflection of overall talent is bad too. The G-League was in its infancy at that point. I’d be willing to bet almost none of the players who made it to the NBA on the team with Morris would have played a game in the NBA in the early 2000s the way it was structured.
I agree with you 100%. I think most ISU fans only remember Tinsley’s fancy passes and dribble but they forgot about careless turnovers and not so smart plays.

Reactions: AllInForISU

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
All-time, I’d have to say Tinsley or Monte.

Here’s one for all the 90’s kids out there: One of the best single game performances I’ve ever seen from a Cyclone guard has to be Justus Thigpen single-handedly coming back down 20 in the second half to knock of Big Country Reeves and OSU at home. Most amazing single game from a Cyclone guard ever.
I was at that game. Back then, student tickets rotated through different sections of Hilton. We were sitting in the arena circle at just about mid court for that one. Crazy. Those were the days!

Reactions: T-oh double D