Haliburton
Tinsley
Morris
Kane
Hornacek
Blaylock
Garrett
Willoughby

Might have missed some. Pretty heady space. Lipsey might end up there but to say he's cracks this list at all at this point of his career I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. He does have the potential to be there though. Not at this time, and I'm a huge Tamin fan.
That's a good list. I'd add Ron Bayless. He wouldn't be in Tinsley/Morris/Hali tier, but he was a really good player. He and Justis Thigpen made up one of our better backcourts that seem to get lost in the shuffle.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Hmmm...I always remember him as a point guard. Any info I see just says guard except for a register article that says point guard.
He played the 2. He might have played the point at New Orleans. Occasionally he would slide over and play point if Jacy was out of the game. Willoughby worked harder to get open than anyone I ever saw without the ball. The guy had phenomenal conditioning. The starting lineup those 2 years was
PG Jacy Hollaway
SG Dedric Willloughby
SF Shawn Bankhead
PF Kenny Pratt
C Kelvin Cato

Last edited:

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
His handling was elite but was it better than Morris or Haliburton? I am not sure. Tinsley wowed the crowed with razzle-dazzle against inferior opponents but also turned it over much more frequently than Morris and Haliburton.
Yes, but those guys are awesome ballhandlers too. FWIW those guys are both better shooters than Tinsley was.

T-oh double D

Jan 20, 2024
All-time, I’d have to say Tinsley or Monte.

Here’s one for all the 90’s kids out there: One of the best single game performances I’ve ever seen from a Cyclone guard has to be Justus Thigpen single-handedly coming back down 20 in the second half to knock of Big Country Reeves and OSU at home. Most amazing single game from a Cyclone guard ever.

seadog

Oct 11, 2008
For my money, Tinsley is the best basketball player that has played at Iowa State. He led us to two regular season titles. That out ranks any other stat

• Agree
Reactions: Cypwr

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If the opponent was on a run Tinsley was as good as you'll find at coming back and forcing the issue in the lane for free throws or a foul to disrupt the game.

Of note is he was also an older player and we never got to see Tyrese at that age with that experience.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought this thread was going to be about LIpsey v. Gilbert, particularly with how Gilbert steps up when Lipsey is out. I love having two players who can function exceptionally well at point guard.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
People only remember the good things Tinsley did at ISU. He averaged 6 assists but over 4 TO per game. His FG% was below 40%. He played for the most talented teams in ISU history but his numbers are not as good as Hornacek, Morris, and Haliburton
I'm probably going to misremember here, but that first year 40% of those "turnovers" were people without their hands up. I'm pretty sure none of those guys had EVER played with someone with Tinsley's abilities.

However, as a former point guard, it is also incumbent on you to know when and if another player is ready for and CAN catch and do something with the ball, so it might still be on him. But, Lordy, that dude bounced a lot of passes off people's noggins in that first season.

AND, the rest of what he did DID make you forget his turnovers. That's why so many remember him as the best.

Monte was great too, no reason that he can't be a close second.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
People only remember the good things Tinsley did at ISU. He averaged 6 assists but over 4 TO per game. His FG% was below 40%. He played for the most talented teams in ISU history but his numbers are not as good as Hornacek, Morris, and Haliburton

That's great. However, if we had to win a game I'd take Tinsley first. Every day of the week. Nothing against Monte or Horny or Tyrese.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
That’s team accomplishments
People attribute team accomplishments to individual athletes all the time if the athlete played a significant enough role. I would argue Tinsley meets that criteria big time.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Here's a list in no particular order.

Haliburton
Tinsley
Morris
Kane
Hornacek
Blaylock
Garrett
Willoughby

Might have missed some. Pretty heady space. Lipsey might end up there but to say he's cracks this list at all at this point of his career I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. He does have the potential to be there though. Not at this time, and I'm a huge Tamin fan.

Give me a little Holloway HM please!

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I'm probably going to misremember here, but that first year 40% of those "turnovers" were people without their hands up. I'm pretty sure none of those guys had EVER played with someone with Tinsley's abilities.

However, as a former point guard, it is also incumbent on you to know when and if another player is ready for and CAN catch and do something with the ball, so it might still be on him. But, Lordy, that dude bounced a lot of passes off people's noggins in that first season.

AND, the rest of what he did DID make you forget his turnovers. That's why so many remember him as the best.

Monte was great too, no reason that he can't be a close second.
Not true. He was also turnover prone in the pro.. He took unnecessary risk