Re-siding house

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
About 10 years ago, my son helped me re-side my house. It was a lot of work over about 10 days, but based on the estimates I received from contractors earlier, I ended up saving around $25,000 by doing it myself.

Now it's time to re-side my son's house. It's a modest ranch home, so not as much siding as many other homes, but still a big job. We'll have to remove the old vinyl siding and, unfortunately, also remove the layer of masonite siding under that.

Because we don't have a whole week or two to devote to this project, we're thinking about replacing the siding one side of the house at a time. That way, we can do each side over a 2-3 day weekend. It will extend the entire project out to several weeks, but it will make it much more manageable.

Anyone have experience re-siding a house one side at a time? I'm thinking the biggest issue will be dealing with the house wrap, but I think I can just extend the wrap a few feet beyond the corners of the house and tack it into the next side and then overlap the wrap after I remove the siding from that side.

Reactions: JEFF420

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
About 10 years ago, my son helped me re-side my house. It was a lot of work over about 10 days, but based on the estimates I received from contractors earlier, I ended up saving around $25,000 by doing it myself.

Now it's time to re-side my son's house. It's a modest ranch home, so not as much siding as many other homes, but still a big job. We'll have to remove the old vinyl siding and, unfortunately, also remove the layer of masonite siding under that.

Because we don't have a whole week or two to devote to this project, we're thinking about replacing the siding one side of the house at a time. That way, we can do each side over a 2-3 day weekend. It will extend the entire project out to several weeks, but it will make it much more manageable.

Anyone have experience re-siding a house one side at a time? I'm thinking the biggest issue will be dealing with the house wrap, but I think I can just extend the wrap a few feet beyond the corners of the house and tack it into the next side and then overlap the wrap after I remove the siding from that side.
You are "good to go" with that plan

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

That is what my neighbor is doing to match his old garage to match the addition he put up (just a bit taller and bigger than the original) the whole place will be in light gray when done it will be very nice

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
With tearing off the underlying masonite, you will likely need to tear off at least part of the next side from where you're installing to get your corner trim hung. As long as you have a plan to deal with that I don't see a problem spreading out the siding install, though. If you don't care what it looks like, house wrap should be ok exposed for a few weeks, or tear off the first piece of vinyl and run a circular saw set shallow down the masonite just far enough past the corner to get trim installed. Using a strip of wood with nails/screws to secure the loose end of house wrap helps a lot in avoiding wind catching it and pulling out staples/tearing.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and Gorm

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan

i'd love to see come price estimates on materials...

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
i'd love to see come price estimates on materials...
Still trying to decide between LP Smart (which is an engineered wood siding with moisture and insect protection built in), or Hardi Plank siding (which is a fiber cement siding).

I used Hardi Plank for my house 10 years ago and it still looks brand new. It's more expensive, though, and more work to install (heavier, more brittle, and no fun to cut) but once it's up it's totally maintenance free and looks really good for decades.

Once I get the price comparison, I'll post it.

Last edited:

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
With tearing off the underlying masonite, you will likely need to tear off at least part of the next side from where you're installing to get your corner trim hung. As long as you have a plan to deal with that I don't see a problem spreading out the siding install, though. If you don't care what it looks like, house wrap should be ok exposed for a few weeks, or tear off the first piece of vinyl and run a circular saw set shallow down the masonite just far enough past the corner to get trim installed. Using a strip of wood with nails/screws to secure the loose end of house wrap helps a lot in avoiding wind catching it and pulling out staples/tearing.
Thanks so much for the excellent advice!