Best Iowa State point guard

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Hali may go down as our best pro ever.

But no, he is not and was not a better dribbler than JT.
He is a better ball handler than Tinsley. Dribbling the ball between defender’s legs looks fancy but is not good handling. Haliburton handles the ball with less errors and creates shots or plays off the dribble better than Tinsley against NBA players.

JohnnyAl

May 12, 2010
People only remember the good things Tinsley did at ISU. He averaged 6 assists but over 4 TO per game. His FG% was below 40%. He played for the most talented teams in ISU history but his numbers are not as good as Hornacek, Morris, and Haliburton

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214_192042_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240214_192042_Samsung Internet.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 23

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
If Haliburton played for Floyd, Larry, Fred, or TJ his college career would be viewed more favorably. Also funny looking back he was the afterthought in that recruiting class.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Based on my (probably shaky) memories of each of them:

Haliburton - best passer
Tinsley - best handles, most dominant
Morris - best pure point guard
Kane - best slashing, and best rebounding
Hornacek - best shooter, most clutch
Blaylock - best on fastbreaks, best at getting to the rim
Garrett - fastest
Bayless - best defender
Holloway - best facilitator
Lipsey - fastest hands

Last edited:

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
This is such a great thread. we have truly been spoiled with good if not great point guards over the years.

Meanwhile in the hawk forums they are (just now?) realizing that one of Fran’s problems is an inability to draft/develop/coach PGs.

Love them Clones! Our worst PG over the last 20 years would likely be their best.

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
I have to go with Monte. Not as flashy or heroic as Tinsley but to have those almost error free stats for four years and to play almost 40 minutes every game, I don't know if it can ever be done again...... although if Tamin is here four years I may reconsider

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Another wrinkle to add to the debate is Monte had the luxury of playing in an offensive system for his career while I'm pretty sure LE's idea of offense was Jamaal breaking his guy down, getting into the paint and making something happen. The rest of the focus was on defense and rebounding.

That 99-00 team was small ball all game and a horrible matchup for everyone.

Tinsley, Horton, and Nurse could all handle and get to the hoop, and while Horton wasn't great from three that year (I looked it up) he was a valid threat and Nurse was very good.

Then Fizer had great handle for a big man and Stevie Johnson was just an athlete.

In 00-01 Horton was only better and could have probably played PG for all sorts of good teams, and they were young but had good shooters and tough players. Paul Shirley also had some time in the NBA.

I'd put those around him much more than 'role players'. I think that's underplayed and the 'Morris was surrounded by NBA talent' is overplayed since many only got short time.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Missed that too. FWIW, not a throat slash fan.
I have always defended Scotty when he was getting slammed for what he did. His wasn't a throat slash but the stop it or cut it out gesture.
jonah-hill-stop-it.gif

Tinsley definitely did the throat slash here. But I'm sure that is the norm at Rucker Park.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Haliburton - best passer
Garrett - fastest
Bayless - best defender
Lipsey - fastest hands
Stacy Frese probably nips Hornacek for best shooter. ;)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Tinsley, Horton, and Nurse could all handle and get to the hoop, and while Horton wasn't great from three that year (I looked it up) he was a valid threat and Nurse was very good.

Then Fizer had great handle for a big man and Stevie Johnson was just an athlete.

In 00-01 Horton was only better and could have probably played PG for all sorts of good teams, and they were young but had good shooters and tough players. Paul Shirley also had some time in the NBA.

I'd put those around him much more than 'role players'. I think that's underplayed and the 'Morris was surrounded by NBA talent' is overplayed since many only got short time.
Stevie was probably the best linebacker to ever play forward for ISU.

;)

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

I don't think those guys were role players. My comment was more aimed at LEs offensive gameplan. Certainly all those guys were good players. But can you imagine Tinsley in that Hoiberg offense? That would have been something to see.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Haliburton - best passer
Garrett - fastest
Bayless - best defender
Lipsey - fastest hands
Tinsley may have also been the best defender. He certainly had a knack for getting steals and generally disrupting the other team's offense.

I know that Blaylock was listed as PG but it seemed to me that the half-court offense usually ran through Stinson.

If I were to list the best PGs, it would be
1. Hornacek
2. Tinsley and Morris
4. Kane

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't think those guys were role players. My comment was more aimed at LEs offensive gameplan. Certainly all those guys were good players. But can you imagine Tinsley in that Hoiberg offense? That would have been something to see.
The offense would have been different with Tinsley. Hoiberg relied on 5 players that were kind of interchangeable on offense and all could shoot. Tinsley was not a great shooter but having him distribute to all those shooters would have been interesting.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The offense would have been different with Tinsley. Hoiberg relied on 5 players that were kind of interchangeable on offense and all could shoot. Tinsley was not a great shooter but having him distribute to all those shooters would have been interesting.
The Tinsley couldn't shoot narrative is overplayed. He was bad his first year, but he shot 38% from 3 his second year and 32% for his career at ISU.