YouTube TV and Marquee Sports Network?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Comcast and all the streamers will huff and puff and talk a big game but in the end they'll all be on board by opening day.
Agree. Would be very interesting to see how many people in Chicago would dump Comcast if Cubs games weren't available at the start of the season.

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
This isn't a separate streaming service. It's a new channel and is already being carried by several providers.

As to staying on WGN, it wasn't possible once they converted from a "superstation" to a full-scale basic cable network. The MLB has rules against it.

Gotcha. Where does this fall in the channel line up though? Is this like ESPN, if you have basic cable, it's part of it, part of a sports package or like an HBO where you have to add it as a premium channel?

Sorry, don't know a ton about it, since I'm not really a fan, I just know that so far, Comcast is not carrying it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
My frustrations is why do networks require a provider. With the growth of streaming, why not just have an App that can be downloaded using hardware like Roku and then have the Cubs charge the consumer directly.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Gotcha. Where does this fall in the channel line up though? Is this like ESPN, if you have basic cable, it's part of it, part of a sports package or like an HBO where you have to add it as a premium channel?

Sorry, don't know a ton about it, since I'm not really a fan, I just know that so far, Comcast is not carrying it.

That would depend on the provider.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
My frustrations is why do networks require a provider. With the growth of streaming, why not just have an App that can be downloaded using hardware like Roku and then have the Cubs charge the consumer directly.

Because that would be too easy and the rules for what teams can and can't do with their product are antiquated!

If I live in El Paso, I should be able to buy whatever games I want to watch, pay per game per season or in packages. There should be no limit to the number of games i can view or where they come from. It is all very silly we don't have that available to us in today's day and age. I also don't get the Cubs starting a cable channel, why not just start a streaming network and force MLB to conform.

To me, the first major league that does this will make so much money everyone will fall in place as soon as their agreements are over. The days of getting money through third parties should be over, go directly to the consumer and be done with it.

Sorry for the rant.

• Agree
Reactions: neiacy and JBone84

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Because that would be too easy and the rules for what teams can and can't do with their product are antiquated!

If I live in El Paso, I should be able to buy whatever games I want to watch, pay per game per season or in packages. There should be no limit to the number of games i can view or where they come from. It is all very silly we don't have that available to us in today's day and age. I also don't get the Cubs starting a cable channel, why not just start a streaming network and force MLB to conform.

To me, the first major league that does this will make so much money everyone will fall in place as soon as their agreements are over. The days of getting money through third parties should be over, go directly to the consumer and be done with it.

Sorry for the rant.

Do the Cubs make more money on a pay per view arrangement or by holding the non-Cubs fans hostage to paying a $5 carriage fee to the provider?

We are all sports fans here, but not everyone watches ESPN. I sure as **** won't be watching this garbage Marquee channel, but I still could be stuck paying for it through my provider

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Gotcha. Where does this fall in the channel line up though? Is this like ESPN, if you have basic cable, it's part of it, part of a sports package or like an HBO where you have to add it as a premium channel

It's going to be 768 on Mediacom, so presumably part of their Sports Pack.

Reactions: Clonefan94

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Do the Cubs make more money on a pay per view arrangement or by holding the non-Cubs fans hostage to paying a $5 carriage fee to the provider?

We are all sports fans here, but not everyone watches ESPN. I sure as **** won't be watching this garbage Marquee channel, but I still could be stuck paying for it through my provider

I think a league run pay per view model wins. People that want to watch will pay. Sports are the last must see live event on tv.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
For those of us that don't understand the rules of MLB.

I live in Florida and want to watch the Cubs. I am out of the Cub's market, I sign up for Hulu, am I going to be able to get all the Cubs games, or do I have to pay for the MLB.tv package?

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I live in Florida and want to watch the Cubs. I am out of the Cub's market, I sign up for Hulu, am I going to be able to get all the Cubs games, or do I have to pay for the MLB.tv package?

MLB rules.....just assume baseball doesn't want you to watch the game and work from there.

Last I checked Hawaii had all of the West Coast teams claiming them as their market. This triggers blackout rules. Not like it's a quick jump from Honolulu to Dodger Stadium.

Iowa isn't much better.....

Oh....and **** the Cubs and **** the Marquee Network.... And **** Hulu Live too

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

The games would be blacked out for you. The MLB is freaking lame.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
It's going to be 768 on Mediacom, so presumably part of their Sports Pack.
CBS Sports net and FS2 are part of the basic package and are in the 760s, so I wouldn't assume that. I'd actually be surprised if it is part of the sports pack. If Marquee allowed the channel in sport packages, they would have deals with Dish, Comcast and every other provider already.

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
The games would be blacked out for you. The MLB is freaking lame.
I wouldn't say they are "blacked out." They just wouldn't be part of the basic package in Florida. However, you would be able to watch them with the MLB season pass.

• Winner
Reactions: nwiafan

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I wouldn't say they are "blacked out." They just wouldn't be part of the basic package in Florida. However, you would be able to watch them with the MLB season pass.

The response was specifically about Hulu Live. If you get Hulu Live in Florida, the games on the Marquee Network will be blacked out because the MLB is ******* ********.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
The response was specifically about Hulu Live. If you get Hulu Live in Florida, the games on the Marquee Network will be blacked out because the MLB is ******* ********.
Again, it's not blacked out. Hulu Live could add it to their basic package if they wanted to. They're just not going to incur that expense for the few people who would want it there. A blackout is different than a provider choosing to not include it.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Again, it's not blacked out. Hulu Live could add it to their basic package if they wanted to. They're just not going to incur that expense for the few people who would want it there. A blackout is different than a provider choosing to not include it.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. Hulu Live is going to carry the Marquee Network. Hulu Live is the provider and it's going to provide this network. The blackout I'm referring to is an MLB rule. The Cubs games being carried by the Marquee Network, which is being provided by Hulu Live, will be blacked out outside the Cubs region because of MLB blackout rules.