Your wild plane ride stories, please

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
We were on our way back from Puerto Vallarta to Chicago for our senior trip, and for some reason the charter we were on (an airline called Planet Air) miscalculated fuel and we had to stop in Lincoln, Nebraska to refuel. It was a freaking hot day, and they had to turn of the AC while refueling, so naturally, the cabin turned into an oven.

As we picked up speed to takeoff from Lincoln, condensation from the AC poured out of the overhead bins. Naturally, everyone on board thought it was smoke and freaked out. One kid ran down the aisle screaming "SMOKE" at the top of his lungs. The pilot then came onto the intercom and explained to everyone what was happening, and order was restored, but for about 3 seconds, I started to see my life flash before my eyes.

ha, had this happen sitting on the runway. I'd have probably freaked a bit had it happened up in the air.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I was on a plane crash once. It was crazy. Crashed on this uninhabitable island. Really creepy. Only a handful of us survived. There was this super weird black smoke like monster that was always attacking us.

Similar thing happened to my grandpa when he was younger, crashed on a deserted island. He said it wasn't to bad though, as one of the few survivors was this hot redhead. Funny thing is this professor was on board that plane who built all sorts of crazy inventions while they were stranded, but never a boat.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Haven't got the details yet, but I don't like the sounds of that. Explain?

If you come from the north you bank down the river, drop down, and hit the breaks before hitting the water on the other side. If you come in from the south its a smooth straight leisurely approach. Either way the view is great if you're on the correct side of the plane.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Had a couple of go arounds. Plane always gets really quiet when that happens. Worst flight was from Midway to Houston to New Orleans for work. The Midway to Houston flight flew right down a massive cold front and it was non stop bumpiness and turbulence. Flight attendants were seated for the last half of the flight.

I also had a flight into LaGuardia this spring that landed in 30 mph winds. Rather bumpy, and you could tell the pilot was having to work it to get landed. It's always disconcerting when you are banked and can feel the plane sink in the direction of the bank.

I have the worst luck with flying. I think there was 3-4 year stint where every leg of every flight I was on was either delayed leaving, sat on tarmac waiting to leave, rough weather, or sat on the tarmac waiting for a gate. I even had a bird strike while sitting at the gate. We were 3/4 boarded when something flew into the engine.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I was on this Fed Ex plane that crashed on a little island in the middle of the ocean. Wilson and I were the only survivors.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
I was on a plane crash once. It was crazy. Crashed on this uninhabitable island. Really creepy. Only a handful of us survived. There was this super weird black smoke like monster that was always attacking us.

Don't forget about the polar bears.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Similar thing happened to my grandpa when he was younger, crashed on a deserted island. He said it wasn't to bad though, as one of the few survivors was this hot redhead. Funny thing is this professor was on board that plane who built all sorts of crazy inventions while they were stranded, but never a boat.

pretty sure that was a boat wreck not a plane crash, and there was a brunette that was hotter than the red head.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Around 2006 we were traveling back from a vacation in Hawaii and we ran into trouble. About half way home the lights and electrical system went out. Turns out a mobster sabotaged the plane to take in down over the ocean in hopes of killing a man traveling to LA who would be a key witness in the mobster's murder trial. Thankfully this witness was also traveling with an FBI agent for protection who took care of the problem. The pilots were actually murdered by the mobsters plot so the landing was rough, thank god we had a former member of Nickelodean's All-That who was really good at Flight Simulator on PSP to land the plane.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Around 2006 we were traveling back from a vacation in Hawaii and we ran into trouble. About half way home the lights and electrical system went out. Turns out a mobster sabotaged the plane to take in down over the ocean in hopes of killing a man traveling to LA who would be a key witness in the mobster's murder trial. Thankfully this witness was also traveling with an FBI agent for protection who took care of the problem. The pilots were actually murdered by the mobsters plot so the landing was rough, thank god we had a former member of Nickelodean's All-That who was really good at Flight Simulator on PSP to land the plane.

You forgot to mention the best part about the snakes hopped up pheromones

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
One time I was fortunate enough to ride first class for a trans-Atlantic fight. Well, the flight attendant asked if I wanted cheese or nuts for my pre-flight snack. I then asked if I could have both, and she said yes. Talk about wild!!

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I used to work for Ford and lived in Michigan. Ford had a couple of company jets which would travel weekly to Ford plants in the U.S. These were large jets that would seat about 20 to 30 people in business class type seats. The employees of Ford could use these to visit the plants rather than flying commercial. It was awesome.

On one of these trips, as we were returning to Detroit, the plane entered a thunderstorm and was struck by lightening. I believe the plane lost some of the electronics and the pilots must have been concerned about the possibility of a fire. As we were descending to land, I noticed that multiple fire trucks were rushing with their lights on to meet the plane. As it turned out, we landed safely and there was no fire but it was certainly a scary situation.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I was on this Fed Ex plane that crashed on a little island in the middle of the ocean. Wilson and I were the only survivors.

Oh man, I bet the head tapping got annoying real fast.

brian-wilson-10-21-12.gif

harty83

Nov 15, 2006
Sioux Falls SD
My dad just quit flying as a private pilot, so I have few stories. He flew a Mooney Ranger and later a Mooney 201. Two that come to mind: one time we were flying to Oshkosh and hit an unexpected patch of turbulence that was so bad that I hit my head on the roof (despite wearing a 4-point harness) and also ripped off the handle that helps you get in and out of the cockpit. The other one was the last time ISU played Nebraska (dad is an NU fan and grad, likewise me and ISU) we flew down to Ames. On the way back we were losing electrical power fast and had to put down in Sheldon and drive the rest of the way home to Sioux Falls. Would have been fine during the day, but no instruments or lights would have been bad at night.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
One time when I was flying into O'Hare, the pilot had to abort a landing attempt because of the crosswinds blowing the plane all over. It's an odd feeling knowing you're about to land and then hearing the roaring of the engines and the nose go back up into the sky. Lady next to us used her barf bag. I myself was gripping my arm rests like it was my job. Plane had several significant drops... hate that feeling.