• $3 million or more

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Fred's already on the road to Minnesota

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Give him a raise, but people need to be realistic. Take emotion out of the equation and consider cold, hard reality.

Where does ISU’s athletic budget rank in the Big XII? 8[SUP]th[/SUP] maybe? We can only spend so much knowing football has to be #1 priority.

My numbers may be off, but I can recall Pollard stating that football brings in something like 92% of the athletic budget.

Basketball simply cannot generate revenue like football can (or hurt us as badly when it is not doing well) . So whether or not you like BB more than football, the economics seem to suggest Pollard has to use his limited budget to be sure to keep football competitive over all else.

We keep Hoiberg only if he is truly dedicated to ISU. If money is a big motivator for him, we risk losing him because we can’t pay him like the bigger budget schools can. Period. (unless some donor dollars come forth specifically for this.) Fortunately, I don’t feel $ drives Hoiberg to the same level as other coaches given he’s in his hometown, at his alma mater.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Pay the man. If he is seriously considering going and the fact that this news got out means that either he wants it out or Minnesota does. Minnesota wouldn't want it out if they thought he wouldn't take it, so unless they are inept then one has to worry Hoiberg got it out. And if Hoiberg got it out, he is much more open to any job, let alone a (at best) equal college job. You need to find market value and add a lot on to it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Pay the man. If he is seriously considering going and the fact that this news got out means that either he wants it out or Minnesota does. Minnesota wouldn't want it out if they thought he wouldn't take it, so unless they are inept then one has to worry Hoiberg got it out. And if Hoiberg got it out, he is much more open to any job, let alone a (at best) equal college job. You need to find market value and add a lot on to it.

The Minnesota AD would want it out to show he's aiming high. This was QUICK, after getting turned down by Shaka. I don't see any possible benefit to Fred to get this out right away.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The Minnesota AD would want it out to show he's aiming high. This was QUICK, after getting turned down by Shaka. I don't see any possible benefit to Fred to get this out right away.

Yeah...but only to have another coach (hopefully) turn you down? That's never good either.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Where are we getting this statistic from? How do schools like Kansas pay their bball coach 3 times what they pay their fb coach?

I might be a bit off, but I recall this being the figure Pollard quotes often. Kansas probably has a ton of donor $$ for BB given their tradition.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
If I was JP I'd tell Fred that I can keep giving you a big raise but at some point it's not going to be feasible. What happens at that time? If all you care about is getting your ego stoked by making more money than your peers then you might as well take that Gopher job now because you'll never be happy here. Also tell your agent congrats on destroying that statue of you that was going to be erected in front of Hilton.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Where are we getting this statistic from? How do schools like Kansas pay their bball coach 3 times what they pay their fb coach?

OK.....I was off more than a little. Sorry. Article is 3 yrs old, but have to assume this is till pretty close.

Pollard said the revenue from the football program currently provides roughly 75 percent of the budget for the entire athletic department. That revenue is somewhat dependant upon how well the program does.

Football coaches' salaries consistently higher than professors' - Iowa State Daily: Football

Spam

May 21, 2008
If I was JP I'd tell Fred that I can keep giving you a big raise but at some point it's not going to be feasible. What happens at that time? If all you care about is getting your ego stoked by making more money than your peers then you might as well take that Gopher job now because you'll never be happy here. Also tell your agent congrats on destroying that statue of you that was going to be erected in front of Hilton.

As long as everyone else is giving their coaches raises, we have to give hoiberg a raise. there is no point of feasibility. coaching salaries will continue to climb always.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
If money is a big motivator for him, we risk losing him because we can’t pay him like the bigger budget schools can. Period. (unless some donor dollars come forth specifically for this.) Fortunately, I don’t feel $ drives Hoiberg to the same level as other coaches given he’s in his hometown, at his alma mater.

Disagree. We can't afford not to pay him. He's worth whatever he wants because he's going to take this program to a completely different level if he stays.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
As long as everyone else is giving their coaches raises, we have to give hoiberg a raise. there is no point of feasibility. coaching salaries will continue to climb always.
Yes I understand that contracts need to be competitive but the AD budget won't be able to break out a raise every time a school sniffs around because the agent feels he can get more for his client.

Right now Fred makes 1.5 mill, which is double what he made a year ago. Right now most people think he should make around 2.5 because the Gophers are making a play. What happens if the team makes the Sweet 16 next year how much then? What if upper tier schools come calling like Texas. At what point are we over paying just because he's Fred?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Everyone forgets because this got pushed under the rug when Mcdermott drove the program into the ground, but when JP first got here he said more than once basketball is our marquee sport and the one we need to focus on.

Whatever Hoiberg wants, he should get 110% of.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yes I understand that contracts need to be competitive but the AD budget won't be able to break out a raise every time a school sniffs around because the agent feels he can get more for his client.

Right now Fred makes 1.5 mill, which is double what he made a year ago. Right now most people think he should make around 2.5 because the Gophers are making a play. What happens if the team makes the Sweet 16 next year how much then? What if upper tier schools come calling like Texas. At what point are we over paying just because he's Fred?

We pay market value. Thats not 'overpaying just because he's fred'. If he continues to succeed his market value will go up.

Sure we doubled the salary from a few years ago to the 1.2-1.5 number. But we also were getting an absolute steal because he agreed to take a lower pay because he had no experience. Once he proved himself last year he waived the inexperience discount, though he certainly isnt in the top coaches pay-wise at all. Now he's proved last year wasnt a fluke (not only because he's repeated his performance, but because this year nobody could say he was just riding Royce to success). His market value thus has gone way up, and we need to pay it.

If anything we need to make sure we arent underpaying because we think fred will stay here forever.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Everyone forgets because this got pushed under the rug when Mcdermott drove the program into the ground, but when JP first got here he said more than once basketball is our marquee sport and the one we need to focus on.

This is true. JP knows that football is where the money is but that an investment in basketball has a far better chance of paying off in success. Iowa State can truly become a "basketball school," competing for conference titles and making Final Four appearances. This is easily the most likely way for the athletic profile of the school to rise significantly on a national level. Football is infinitely more difficult to do that with - at this school, in this conference.