Your greatest athletic achievement/moment

EZpickins

Aug 7, 2008
Ames, Iowa
Winning the Rock, Paper, Scissors tournament at Outlaws my Junior year. I got to keep the 64 person bracket which is now hanging in my garage.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Riding every mile of 4000 mile bike trip from new haven to Seattle.

Completing the triple by pass. 120 miles 10,000ft climbing.
I did the Triple once as well but my favorite achievement was finishing the Leadville 100 mt. bike race a few years ago. That was a great day.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
In Sept of 2004 I put my townhouse up for sale in the far western suburbs of Chicago and was preparing to move to Phoenix. I was playing in my last club championship tournament and made it to the final round (match play obviously) where I was to play the guy who had knocked me out of the tournament 2 years before and was the two time defending champion. He was not too well liked because of his abrasive personality and also because his full time occupation was as a class A PGA teaching professional at a golf learning center not a part of this club so many people thought he should not even be allowed to play in this amateur event. I was 2 down going into the 15th but I made a 25 footer for birdie and then a 4 footer on 16 for another birdie. We tied 17 & 18 with pars then I two putted #1 for par in sudden death to beat him for the championship. I was treated like royalty in the clubhouse afterwards and that trophy sits proudly on my bookcase near my Paul Rhoads helmet and Fred Hoiberg basketball. 2 weeks later in my last round of golf ever at that course (Old Wayne Golf Club) I got the 3rd hole-in-one of my life on #12 there. This was a 27 hole golf club only and not a "country club" so no tennis court, pool or even a liquor license so it did not cost me more than 3 or 4 Pepsis.
The ace was cool but beating this 32 year old pro was a sweet thrill for me @ 54. I believe it was Sam Snead who said "I'll take old age and treachery over youth and agility any day"

Last edited:

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Won our fantasy football league championship as a rookie. I had the last pick in the 1st round on top of it.

Having never skied before, went down a black diamond at Breckenridge and did not wipe out. 3 out 5 in our group had some nasty spills. I then proceeded to fall flat on my face getting off the ski lift!!

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Climbing Wetterhorn Peak and Uncompaghre Peak, near Lake City, Colorado in the same day. Its a round trip of about 16 miles and has over 7,000 feat of elevation gain. I've done it twice.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
Winning "A" league dodgeball in intramurals my junior year.

Also, the **** I took today was an athletic feat. I may not have trained for it but I sure did break a sweat.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
In ROTC my roommate and I won the Tulane National Drill Championships for 2-man exhibition drill. It was an absolute **** show of a performance but the elements we added were pretty awesome. This was the third consecutive event we did that day and our arms were exhausted from throwing M1's around all frick'n afternoon.

Let me guess. Air Force?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
cut 8 minutes off my time in a 4 mile race this year to beat my sister and not be the slowest sibling. Actually bled through both sucks and shoes............and never noticed til this horrified kid pointed it out when I sat down. Always clip your toenails, kids!

but yeah, I'm lame. It would have been a public hazard had I played organized sports. Some of these stories are awesome though!

ETA: oh yeah, I beat my husband, too!

May 20, 2010
Des Moines
Both best moments are from baseball one from Little League and the other in Babe Ruth. In the Little League Championship game I had the game winning hit which was a broken bat single over the 2nd baseman's glove. It was a long at bat with a lot of foul balls. I still have the broken bat and this happened a loooong time ago. My other "moment" came in Babe Ruth when we played other towns. The runner was stealing third and our catcher, who was my good friend, over threw the 3rd baseman badly. I was the left fielder so I charged in scooped the ball up and threw the runner out at home. It was a shock to me and my teammates because I had a wet noodle for an arm! Good times, good times.

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
cut 8 minutes off my time in a 4 mile race this year to beat my sister and not be the slowest sibling. Actually bled through both sucks and shoes............and never noticed til this horrified kid pointed it out when I sat down. Always clip your toenails, kids!

but yeah, I'm lame. It would have been a public hazard had I played organized sports. Some of these stories are awesome though!

ETA: oh yeah, I beat my husband, too!

My gf used to beat me at sports a lot too. I wonder how that happened....:spinny: forgot all that varsity tennis I played and gained two left hands.

ThePollinator

Nov 29, 2009
Ames
ISU Intramural 3-point Champion.

It went to my head, and I became a chucker the rest of my days at the Lied Rec Center.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
My gf used to beat me at sports a lot too. I wonder how that happened....:spinny: forgot all that varsity tennis I played and gained two left hands.

he's beat me the last two times in this race, but I got a lot faster this year!

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
Hitting 2 FT's at the end of regulation, end of 1st OT, and end of 2nd OT to tie the game. Only problem was, it was JV and we had delayed the start of varsity too long to keep playing. 2nd OT they told everyone (including me) that the game was done, but I would be allowed to shoot to tie. After the game, Brad Randle (the opposing varsity coach) came over and told me it was the best FT shooting he'd seen in a long time... Man, I can't believe that was 10 years ago now.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Winning ISU Intramural co-ed football. Helps to have two ladies who were state finalists in the 100 meters who could catch a football.

Being at the time a 6'3" 195 lb lug, deciding to go all out on a 5K and running a PR 20:20.